“Too far to be an airport hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #55 of 129 Hotels in Miami
“Too far to be an airport hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

It was a $25 cab ride to this airport hotel from the airport. No answer when called as instructed for their shuttle. Hotel is at least a 15 minute ride if not longer and in the middle of an industrial area. BUT, new, clean, rooms divided into living area and bedroom. Comfortable bed. Small bathroom with sink outside next to bedroom space so if you don't like that concept, not the place for you. Free breakfast, no restaurant. Usual items you find at medium range hotels. Ate our breakfast at the airport! As a whole, not a bad place, but location leaves a lot to be desired. Many hotels closer to the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed here for three nights prior to a cruise. It was me and my 7 year old daughter. The room was clean and well appointed. We did wait a while for the shuttle from the airport, not great when we got in late and were very tired. Once we got the shuttle, the driver was very nice and we found over the course of the stay that all the staff we dealt with were exceptionally helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. The breakfast was great, oatmeal (my daughter's favorite) and two or three hot items like sausage, eggs and usually some type of breakfast sandwich in addition to the standard fare of fruit, yogurt, cereal and donuts. The hotel is quite a distance from much of anything. There area a few restaurants within walking distance but not much else. We had only three issues with the hotel. The elevators seemed to be malfunctioning the entire time we were there. It was a little scary but hopefully they got those fixed. The noise from the airport is substantial, so be aware of that - my daughter slept through it, I could not. The last thing is just something we wish we would have known. We were told the only way to the mall was via taxi, so we spend a lot on a roundtrip taxi fare only to come back and see there's a bus that goes from the hotel to the mall for a lot less. Other than that, we found the staff went above and beyond with every encounter we had with them. Just a note that the shuttle to the port is not free and it's run by an outside company. When you check in you can request the shuttle to the port and there are a couple of times to choose from, but you pay the shuttle driver on the day of the trip $12 for adults, $10 for children. He also said you can pre-arrange a ride to a hotel or the airport for your return trip.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We had a very disappointing experience at this hotel. We stayed for three days, two nights after a 6-day cruise. We arrived at the hotel early for check in and the man at the front desk did a great job of getting us into a room early. Unfortunately, that was the best service we received during our stay. I asked five times over two days to have someone fix our TV and was repeatedly told someone from maintenance would come up. It wasn't until the evening of the second day when I asked again that the man at the front desk (very nice man) said that the reason it hadn't been fixed was that there was no maintenance person there that day, so he came up and fixed it for us himself. Our room smelled musty and the couch was so dirty and stained we didn't want to sit on it. Only one elevator was working and it was the same one the cleaning staff used, so the wait times were very long. We went to the pool on three separate occasions during our stay and every time there were no towels. Finally, our first evening at the hotel I asked a girl at the front desk if there was a way we could get to the beach and she informed me that I could rent a car at the hotel for $29. I was very excited and asked her what I needed to do to reserve one. She told me I should get to the front desk by 8:45 am the next morning so that I could, in her words, get to the beach by 10:00 am. The next morning I woke early and was at the front desk by 8:30 am. There was a different girl working and I told her I was there to rent a car for the day. She handed me a business card of a car rental company and said that I would need to call them and set it up. What!? If I had known that I could have set it up the night before! I went right upstairs and called and was told that I would need to go to the rental company and fill out paperwork. Long story short, the car ended up costing me $65 and I didn't get to the beach until 1 pm. The man who picked me up from the rental company didn't speak English, so it was a very uncomfortable ride. The rental company (Quest Car Rental) charged me extra fees and since returning home I discovered they charged me an additional almost $6 for fuel, even though I left the car full of gas. Horrible rental company the hotel uses and not convenient like they promised! We missed out on half a day at the beach (my kids' first and only time at the beach) because the girl at the front desk didn't give me accurate information.

I was supposed to be traveling with my three kids, as well as a friend and her son. We booked this hotel because it could accommodate all six of us in one room so we could share the expense. My friend was unable to join us on the cruise last minute so we had to scramble to get the reservation changed from her name to mine. My mother called and took care of the switch, since I was on the ship with limited phone service. She was told that there were no cheaper rooms available, so I ended up having to pay the full price on my own for two nights. Since returning, I have seen that there are lots of offers and promotions for this hotel (listed on their website), including food credits and percentage off stays. Very upsetting that I could have gotten a much better price or deal than what they offered. The quality of my room was definitely not worth what I paid.

Overall, even though the staff was quite friendly and seemed to know many of the guests, we did not have a good experience with service or cleanliness of the room. Unfortunately, a horrible end to what started as a good vacation.

Room Tip: Pick a room on lower floors so you can use the stairs!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed here for the first time on our way to a sailing adventure in the BVI. Our first visit and we really enjoyed it! The staff were exceptionally friendly, the breakfast was great, the room was fine and the free computer service proved very useful (we had forgotten our iPhone charger). All in all, a terrific experience

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

The only thing "airporty" about is that you hear each plane landing. It's a bit out of the way for a quick one night stoppover, 20 minutes to the airport and only every full hour a shuttle but not 24h...
However the room was fine, spacious, clean, amenities you'd need and the breakfast was actually great with lots of choices!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Crossville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Our one night stay at Hyatt Place in Miami, FL was booked through Stay123 about a month before our cruise. It included the nights stay in a very large suite, a bountiful breakfast buffet, free transportation to the pier and you could leave your car in their parking lot for up to 14 days. What a deal!

We were efficiently checked in by Victor, who also signed us up for the 10:30 AM shuttle to the pier. We signed a paper with our vehicle's description and when we would be returning.

I had requested a quiet, non-smoking room and we were given room 623 on the top floor. Now the Miami airport is very close and we could see airplane from our window. But, you could not hear them unless you opened up the sliding window. Very good sound-proofing!

Our room was a large suite: L shaped sofa with an ottoman to the right of the door, to the left was a small counter with a sink, mini refrigerator and coffee set-up and a computer desk and chair. Behind a decorative panel was a king bed, two night stands, plenty of lighting, large screen TV, radio alarm clock. Opposite was the bath vanity with Barney Kenet bath products, hair dryer was in top drawer and a closet with an iron & ironing board. Separate room for the tub and toilet. On the side of the TV stand was a panel with component, computer and video input (see my photo)

Breakfast the next morning had: A warm skillet area with scrambled eggs, plus scrambled eggs with cubes of ham, a pile of bacon and biscuits. Several juices, milk, fresh fruit salad, yogurt, oatmeal with all the toppings, danish, donuts, apples, bananas and Starbucks coffee. The buffet staff was constantly replenishing items and cleaning off tables.

The Hyatt also had a "Made 2 Order" menu - which we did not use - but I did take 7 photos - so you can check them out.

After breakfast we packed up and came down for our shuttle. Very well organized system. Rafael, our driver arrived on time with a van and luggage trailer. Names of those who had signed up for 10:30 were called and loaded onto the van.

There was no free transportation back to the hotel when you returned from the cruise, but Rafael said that his company - Doral Tours Transportation, Inc would arrange pick-up for $12 per person. We paid the $24 and got a receipt and a business card with a phone number to call after we got through customs. Worked beautifully! Hugo came to the pier about 15 -20 minutes after our call. We did find out that it was over $50 (plus tip) for a taxi, so quite a savings. Thanks Rafael & Hugo!

Parking at the cruise pier is currently $25 per day. So a 7 day cruise would cost $175 For our Hyatt stay we paid a little bit more and got a very comfortable nights sleep, a terrific breakfast, free parking and free transportation to the pier.

Room Tip: Top floor worked for us!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I will make this review short and sweet. The staff here are just absolutely awesome, friendly and so cool to deal with. They were helpful in giving directions, advice on places to eat and so awesome to sit and the bar and have laughs with. Thanks guys!!!

• Stayed February 2014

Been to Hyatt Place Miami Airport-West/Doral? Share your experiences!