“Great staff, but not the place for you if you are a light sleeper” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral Area

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #66 of 129 hotels in Miami
Nashville, Tennessee
“Great staff, but not the place for you if you are a light sleeper”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

Our family of four spent one night on our way to Key West. Because our flight was so late getting in, we decided to stay in Miami and get up the next morning and drive down. If you are a light sleeper and ear plugs are not your thing, then this is not the place for you. The planes come over all night and day. They are so close you can see people in the windows. It's cool to watch, but not so great when you want some quite time. The front desk staff is top notch and the property it's self is very neat and clean with pretty lush plants. The breakfast was very good with a mix of hot and cold items. Our room was on the ground floor with two full size beds, a den area and a kitchen set up like an efficiency appartment. The bathroom was a split set up with the sinks being outside the shower area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

Our group consisted of 3 couples- mid 30's - we stayed 2 nights in a penthouse suite (Rm1024). We wanted a central location to MIA airport, SunLife Stadium and Port Of Miami- this worked except NO Shuttle from airport- more on that later. The room was clean and what I expected from staying at a Residence Inn before. Appliances were clean and fairly new no issues with anything in our penthouse. There are no elevators, so ask for a ground floor room if you don't want to haul your luggage up the stairs- its only a 2 story complex so its not that bad and I'm sure they would have someone take your luggage up if you needed it.

Complimentary Breakfast was very good, pretty much the standard fare- cereals, fruit, pastries, oatmeal, eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage, yogurt, waffles, bagels, toast, juices, milk, coffee & tea all available. We stayed over a weekend so this didn't apply to us, but it looks like during the week they have nightly buffets and other happenings for the weekday guests. One more note on meals- they are right across the street from Chevy's Mexican Restaurant, reasonable lunch and dinner if you are looking for something within walking distance.

They have a pool & hot tub. Didn't get into the pool, but heard from other guests it was on the chilly side. I'm not sure what the deal was with the hot tub, but when we got in the jets were on, but the water was not that warm. Then after about 10 mins, just about ready to bail out the water from the jets was like LAVA hot! We stuck around for awhile b/c it was very comfortable and relaxing.

The only negatives I can come up with was the airplane traffic. We had planes flying over pretty much our entire trip. Sleeping the first night (Saturday night) wasn't going to happen with all the noise, but I wouldn't say it bothered any of us. Sunday night wasn't as bad probably less flights they seemed to slow down after 11PM and then didn't hear to many until about 6AM. The other negative that I will be checking into- we were looking for a Marriott that had a Shuttle to/ from MIA airport- this property was listed as 24 hr Complementary SHUTTLE- WRONG! Called from baggage claim and was told they don't offer ANY shuttles. So the taxi ride was $20+ tip from MIA. Taxi (van) to SunLife Stadium was $60 for 6 people - each way. Taxi to Port Of Miami was $35 (4 people).

If you have any questions about this property I would be happy to help if I can.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Whidbey Island, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

I chose this hotel because I like the Marriott brand and expect a high level of service from them. While not the nicest Marriott hotel that I have been to, it serves its purpose as an extended stay residence.
The primary issue is the noise. There is a train track next to the property, a highway across the street, and it is directly under the landing path of one of the airport's runways. I have served on an aircraft carrier, having plane land over my head, and that was more bearable than the noise at this hotel.
The rooms were nice: I had a king suite; it was clean and basic. The kitchenette was very nice, all new stainless steel appliances, decent selection of kitchenware, granite countertops. There was a lot of room to "spread out", a marketing phrase they used that was true. I had 2 closets with a lot of space.
I noticed that in some of the reviews, there were complaints about ants...I saw a few, but it didn't phase me- I had lived in Florida before, and know that bugs and lizzards are part of a package deal. However, I did receive several bites from something in the bed.
One of the major issues that I dealt with besides the airplane noise was kid noise. Being on an extended business trip and working odd hours, it was painful to be woken up at 730 am by children running amuck and screaming. Or on the nights I got to sleep "early", people would be playing basketball at 1130pm.
The staff there were amazing. I can not say enough good things about the women who worked at the desk. They were nice, polite, and helpful...something that I didn't experience in many other places during this trip.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Niurka-Landa, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral Area, responded to this review, October 22, 2010
Dear Guest:
First and foremost thank you for staying at our location.I also like to thank you for your comments about the staff. Seeing as our property location does not benefit us very much we try to make it a priority to make sure we give 110% guest service. I do however apologize for the noise while you were staying here.As far as the airplane noise there are better areas of the hotel that you rarely hear them. We are an outside property and very close to the airport so this tends to happen. However if you are a light sleeper we would put you in buildings such as 5,6 10, or 11. About the children and basketball we have taken certain measure to make sure this is not a problem. We have security on property who only allows guest to play until 10:00pm and if we do receive a complaint about noise we make sure we speak to the guest and follow up to make sure the problem is taken care of. As far as the bugs since we are an outside property and doors are constantly opening and closing this does occur but rarely, we have also put in effect having a certified company to come and fumigate with non-toxic chemicals outside and inside rooms. This happens rotationaly so each room is done throughout the month to prevent this from happening. Thank you again for your comment because without these we would not be able to better our customer satisfaction. We hope you do try our hotel in the near future so you can see the changes that have been made
Phx, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

I should have checked the reviews before I booked this hotel, believe all the ones about the airport noises. ALL planes take off in this direction, it started about 5am, I never knew that many flights left so early!! We didn't experience the train, but tracks right next to property. The 2 bedroom accommodation was spacious enough, remember the 2nd bedroom is a loft so it isn't very private or dark. Once people are awake on the main floor the lights will bother someone sleeping upstairs. Great breakfast bar with full breakfast options as long as you don;t have an early flight since it is available from 7am - 10am. Would not stay again because of the noise.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for having stayed at our property. Yes, we do have a train track next to our property but within the past 6 months we have not had any complaints on our guest surveys or the guest that have stayed in the property. However as an airport hotel we do receive alot of noise from the airplanes because we are on their path. However we try to put guests that are lighter sleepers in buildings such as 5,6,10, and 11 which we do not hear complaints from and that I have personally stayed in to make sure you do not hear the noise. We also have ear plugs that we give to our guests complimentary that do help. Finally the breakfast on weekends starts at 7am but weekdays it starts at 6:30am. I thank you again for your comments and hope you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves to you.
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

We are a family with two young (3 and 5 year olds) children. We booked a 2 king bed suite. The setup was a living room, kitchen, and one bedroom downstairs, with its own bathroom and a double french door separating the bedroom from the living room. The upstairs was a loft, so it was open to the living room below, but also had its own bathroom.
Pros:
The kitchen was very clean and very modern appliances including fridge/freezer, oven, stove, and dishwasher coffee maker (small), microwave oven, and toaster.
The room was very nice, very functional. Lots of closet space to put bags and other such items that were not being used for the stay.
The beds were very comfortable.
There was a TV in each of the sleeping areas as well as in the living room. The TV in the living room did have auxilary connections so you could plug a DVD player or other such device in.
The breakfast provided was adequate, with small variety from day to day.

Cons
1. You are right on the MIA approach. The planes are passing overhead close enough for you to see the treads on the wheels. needless to say the noise is almost overwhelming. The airplane traffic is almost constant from about 7 AM until about 9 PM. Even after 9 PM there is traffic, although there is less. If you have the misfortune to be there as we were when a cold front comes through and the winds shift, causing you to be on the takeoff path rather than the landing path, then you will hear almost constant noise until 2 AM or so. It seems there is a lot of outbound traffic in the wee hours of the morning.
2. The loft is dangerous with small children. the bed in the loft is on the pony wall that overlooks the living room, and kids will invariably climb on the bed in order to look out over the pony wall. I could easily see a child falling over the other side, which is at least a 15 foot drop. Our girls were not allowed up into the loft at all.
3. They advertise internet connectivity, but don't fool youself into thinking that it is Wi Fi. It is wired, and the only connection is inside the downstairs bedroom at the desk. There is no connection in the living room or in the upstairs loft. Since I didn't happen to pack a 100' ethernet cable with me, you are limited to working at the desk if you need network connectivity.
4. I did notice you were right on the train line, although we did not have a train go by while we were there. The hotel property does back up to a warehouse area, so I would be leery of the amount of security for the property. Overall the hotel is located in an industrial area with few restaurants. Luckily I lived in Miami for over 20 years, and in fact worked around the corner from that hotel, so I was very familiar with the area and where there were restaurants, markets, etc.

Honestly if it wasn't for the planes, the hotel would've ranked very high for me. All I would've had to complain about was the internet connectivity limited to the downstairs bedroom, and that is a relatively minor inconvenience and easily remedied with a switch to wireless. The property was very well located since it has easy access to the Dolphin Expressway (836), which is the main east-west freeway in Miami. you were equidistant from the turnpike and the palmetto expressway (826), as well as several surface traffic arteries (87th Ave, 25th Street,).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I've stayed at a lot of Marriotts, and this one just does not cut it. First problem, ANTS!!! Apparently, Miami has an ant problem, and this is not unique to this hotel. However, the hotel is garden-style, which I personally dislike because the security of the room is not good. I believe this set-up contributes to the ant problem as well. And the ants were everywhere in the room...not just the kitchen. I left an unopened box of doughnuts in the bag on the living room table, and it was covered in ants in the morning. The rooms are large and have been remodeled, but they are just mediocre. The room was very dark, the windows dirty, and there were dead bugs on the floor. The televisions are circa the 1980s, and you cannot plug electronics into them such as a DVD player. The location is not near anything except business parks and some local stores/restaurants. It is super convenient to US SOUTHCOM, but not worth it. Stay at the new Residence Inn near the airport. The commute is only 8 additional minutes, and the hotel is extremely nice with no ants.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
South South Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

This is not a great hotel, but it is good if you are looking for what I was looking for. Here's the pros and cons:

CONS:

Kind of creepy layout. Like an apartment complex. Felt kind of dirty compared to other Residence Inns I've stayed at.

In the middle of nowhere. There's a Chevy's Mexican across the road and a McDonald's close by, but that's it.

THE AIRPORT. You WILL hear planes traveling right overhead. Superloud. You will hear them at night. Some people are not bothered by this. I slept fine. But mark my words, you will hear them.

PROS:

The Airport. You're right there. You'll be at the check in counter in 5 minutes depending on traffic.

It is within 2 miles of a Publix grocery store and 3 minutes of a Costco.

The main reason I stay at this hotel is because we live overseas and when I am passing through Miami on the way back home I book a room here. I go rent a cheap car (EZ Rent A Car) and then hit the Costco and Publix.

I'm not here to enjoy the ambiance. I'm not here to see the beaches. I'm here to shop, put all of my goodies in the fridge and freeze them overnight, and then hit the airport in the morning.

If you want a nice place to stay for a vacation look into staying closer to the city and away from the airport.

If you're like me and just need a bed to lay your head that's close to a Costco and a grocery store, this is the one for you.

Stayed May 2008

Been to Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral Area? Share your experiences!