“Enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Barbados
“Enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have stayed almost exclusively at Residence Inn Hotels in the last 3 years, so I'm a bit partial to them.. I've given the rating a very good.. they are better than average, but there are some points that are not so much. The staff was A1.. couldn't have asked for better. Breakfast good, as usually. Only made it to the evening "tea" once and it was ok.. (better than the one last summer in Cary NC by far..but still ok)..

As there were 5 of us, we took a 2 bedroom suite.. Perfect.. Wasn't sure how the layout ( 2 floors, with upstairs bedroom being a loft room.. small but still very nice.) but it worked very well for our needs.. didn't take advantage of the pool but my girls did and enjoyed it. Full Kitchen is always a plus.. we didn't cook but the full size fridge comes in very handy.

My only issue was.. on the stairs up to our room, there were cigarette butts laying around. and there the whole 6 days were were there.. sooo, not cleaned on a regular basis.. The hotel itself is a bit tired and warn looking on the outside but the inside was very nice.

I must thank receptionist Veronica for her extreme helpfulness throughout out stay.

As reported in a previous review.. the area is more an "industrial/business" area.. however.. out the side/back gate, we were able to walk the 3 blocks to the Walmart/Sams and Office Depot.. McDonalds, Subway etc.. also very close .. within walking distance. Beacon Center is also right next door. I'm assuming it was supposed to be shops/business/stores/food etc.. almost empty.. but.. there is a cuban restaurant, pizza place, and a chinese dumplings restaurant in the center. We didn't rent a car and spent too much in taxi fare, however. It was worth not having to contend with Miami Highway traffic. a short 10 min ride to International mall and maybe 15 to Dolphin Mall for those that want shopping. and very close the airport.. You can hear the planes going over if you are outside, but only marginally once inside your suite..

Overall.. a good stay.. will do it again one of these day...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas_R21, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral Area, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you were able to enjoy your stay and I would like to apologize for the problem you experienced with the cleanliness on the outside stairwells. I will review with my staff about the cleanliness standards for the outside of our property. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you on your next trip to the Miami area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We wanted somewhere close to the airport in Miami for an overnighter prior to moving down to Key West. We like the Marriott chain so went for this. We were pleasantly surprised by what we got. Lots of space, opportunity to make coffee (coffee provided), really clean - always a real priority for me.
Swanette on reception was a delight, really full of the Florida sunshine, she made us feel very welcome.
So a short stay but everything it said on the tin.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. It’s wonderful to hear we could make your overnight visit in Miami pleasant. I will definitely share your feedback with my social hour staff member, it will put a smile on her face to know she could help welcome you to the sunshine state, while on your trip. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to host you again on your next trip the Miami area.
Lima, Perú
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I found this hotel via Booking.com . Arrived really early and even when the check-in was at 3pm, they allowed me to take breakfast (very complete imho) and get into the room at 11:00am. The room was pretty clean and comfortable. The parking lot (i was with a car) was really near to the room and despite it's close location to the airport, the place was really quiet. The internet is fast there and I was able to find all the power connectors that i needed (usually i can't plug all my gadgets at the same time). Bathroom was clean but a little old. Staff was really nice to deal with and I really missed that it was full for the second part of my trip due to Ultra. I am more than sure that if i need to stay near Doral, this will be my first choice.

Room Tip: Get the ones in second floor. Usually more quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomas_R21, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral Area, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. It’s great to hear that our hotel could meet your expectation while visiting the Miami area. My staff will be happy to hear your feedback as they always appreciate knowing they could meet our guest expectations. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again on your next trip to the Miami area.
Kettering, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Like other reviewers, I can't say enough about the property or the staff. The discourteous guests made life miserable though and being on the second floor we had a lot of upstairs noise through the night. I would recommend asking for an outside room towards 12th St. (farthest from the tracks) and not accept any room in the middle of the complex. The plane noise was acceptable - (arrivals were better, departures from this end of the runway are really loud) and the trains were infrequent so those were both manageable. The food, workout room and pool areas were all clean and nice. The prices for this location are better than other Marriott properties, probably because of the airport factor.

Room Tip: Anywhere on the perimeter. You might actually get a view as well. Inside rooms are dark.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thomas_R21, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral Area, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am are delighted to hear my staff could make you stay with us enjoyable and appreciate the opportunity to hear ways we can improve our guest experience. I apologize for the noise you experienced and do appreciate you bringing it to our attention as we want to ensure our guest have an enjoyable experience and will review the issue with our maintenance staff. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to host you again on your next trip to the Miami area.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Sit down, this is going to be a long review. The 10 words or less version is: Fantastic in every way except for location. Amazing staff!

I stayed here for 3 days while my house was being tented. This hotel is pricey, but it was the least expensive I could find in Miami that was pet-friendly – I chose the hotel because they allowed my dog. There is a one-time $100 charge for the pet, which I didn’t mind (you MUST tell them at the front desk that you have a pet). The hotel is perfect for a dog – lots of green space and it was nice to have a grassy area to walk the dog (cleaning up after her, of course!).

This is an older, extremely well-kept property; the type where there are several buildings, each housing several 1 and 2 bedroom suites. The suites are fully equipped like your kitchen at home – utensils, plates, stove-top, microwave, frig, icemaker, etc. Mine (2BR/2B) even had an oven, something I don’t always see in a Residence Inn. The rooms open to the outside, not a corridor. The grounds are lush and beautiful – lots of outdoor family space with a nice pool, hot tub, tennis court and basketball hoop. Half of the rooms are on second and third floors – there is no elevator, so be prepared to use the stairs. If you are a person with a disability, make sure you request a ground floor. There are plenty of ground-floor suites.

I will address the location of this hotel at the end of my review. What this hotel lacks in location, it more than makes up for with customer service. The front desk staff that checked me in was fantastic. I had called the hotel a day ahead to say I was bringing a dog and the girl who answered the phone was equally friendly and nice. I came in contact with several employees and each was nicer than the next. Miami is sometimes deemed “unfriendly” – so I was pleasantly surprised when everybody was wonderful. GREAT customer service for my entire, 3-day stay.

My room was spotless. Both bathrooms were clean and filled with plenty of fresh towels. The sheets were clean and the beds (2 kings) were very, very comfortable. There was speedy free wi-fi; it was really excellent. Plenty of free parking. The property is partially fenced-in – so that’s good for security.

The breakfast was the usual great Res Inn buffet. Everything you could want: Eggs, waffles, coffee, juices, (ham or sausage for those carnivores), all kinds of breads, bagels, muffins, etc., and a variety of cereals. It was very good. The breakfast room was clean and the food kept coming; no shortage of anything. During the week, they had a different dinner spread every night (free). One night it was fajitas, the next night hamburgers (meat and veg). The food was really good! The dinners always had a really good dessert. Free breakfast AND dinner – you can’t beat that. All the employees running the breakfast / dinner area were excellent!

Now, on to my major whining about this hotel (since I live here, I am very familiar with this area, so I know of what I speak).

The location of this hotel could not be worse for a visitor to Miami. There is nothing to do in the area. It is crowded, noisy, under constant construction, too much traffic – it is just lots of apartments and car dealers, and a few obscure shops. There are a couple fast food joints, a restaurant or two, and a Wal-Mart within walking distance. The airport is close – a few miles away – but with the traffic, it still takes a while to get there (plan on at least 20 minutes). The hotel is in the direct path of the airport, so there is airport noise – beware – you WILL hear lots of planes. After about 10pm, the plane noise was much less – I only heard 1 or 2 during the night. The good news is, it is only a minute off 2 major highways that run N/S and E/W through Miami (826 and 836); these are the roads you would travel to get anywhere in Miami.

And, if the plane noise isn't enough - there is also a train track right next to the hotel on the north side; I didn’t hear it until 4:30am the second night I was here. My room was close to the track, so if trains are an issue for you, get a room on the south side near 12th Avenue.

From the hotel website, you may get the impression that South Beach, Coconut Grove, Homestead, etc., are close by. NONE of those things are close by. Again, they are all far away and any road or major artery you take is bumper to bumper traffic, no matter the time of day (tons of construction that has been going on for years on the main expressway that runs east and west – 836). South Beach is not even remotely near here. There are 2 malls; one very close by called Mall of the Americas; it’s not the greatest mall – but does have a movie theatre. A few miles west is a huge mall called Dolphin. That mall has a movie theatre, restaurants, and lots and lots of stores - it’s not MY thing (wild dogs couldn’t drag me there), but some people enjoy a mall and it is the granddaddy of all malls (you could spend the day there). It is NOT within walking distance, but close by – it’s a short drive up the street. A few streets south of the hotel (on Flagler Street), there are a lot of strip malls, grocery stores, fast food joints, etc. – but nothing that would bring someone to Miami.

Miami is multi-cultural, and this area (including both malls and the Wal-Mart) has a high population of Spanish speakers. It is very likely that you will go into a store and find someone who does not speak English; I am not making a derogatory remark, I am stating a fact. That’s Miami and we are proud of our diversity.

So, for everything but location, I give this Residence top of the line 5 stars. I can honestly say that the staff were the friendliest people I have come in contact with – they are an asset to the Marriott Corp. I’m gonna have to go with only 2 stars for location! If they could pick up the hotel and put it somewhere else, that would be great. Hotel still rates an overall 5; it definitely met and exceeded my needs. I’m all about friendly staff, clean sheets, and good free eats – for that, it excels!!

Room Tip: If a train bothers you, get a room on the far south side. If you have a disability, get a first flo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thomas_R21, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral Area, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear our staff could make your stay more pleasant, while needing to be away from home for a bit. We strive to ensure we deliver the expectations our guest expect from a Marriott hotel and we are glad to know that we could meet those. As for the location, I do apologize for the noise you experienced and happy to hear my staff could make still help you enjoy your stay with us. Thank you again for your feedback
Concord, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had a King room that was really nice. the buildings and grounds were well kept. Only big problem, if planes bother you this location is at the end of the runway, so 6am if the wind is right, planes will be launching over your head. i thought for sure a couple were going to blow off the shingles. the free breakfast was a waste, the seating area is way too small for the amount of people that stay there. 4 nights and could never find a place to sit in the am. had to go out for food.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thomas_R21, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral Area, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for providing us with some feedback about your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the experience you had at breakfast and appreciate you sharing your feedback with us as it will help us improve our guest experience. Thank you again for staying with us.
Cedar Park
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Very noisy place due to airplane taking off, the building is old and doesn't isolate noise well. I should do some homework before booking.
We were also waked up at round 6:00AM by the second floor guests. Horrible experience.
Not enough room for breakfast, while they provide boxes to take breakfast to room which is a plus.

Room Tip: avoid ground floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving us some feedback about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it will help us improve our guest experience and ensure our guest enjoy their stay with us. Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral Area? Share your experiences!