“Convenience tops Renovation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Miami International Airport Hotel

Save Saved
You added Miami International Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Miami International Airport Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   N.W. 20th Street & LeJeune Road, Inside MIA Concourse E, Miami, FL 33299-7510   |
Ranked #91 of 129 Hotels in Miami
New England
“Convenience tops Renovation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We stayed here for the convenience, and that worked out for us inspite of the major renovations the hotel is undergoing. The renovation really didn't affect us during our stay. We didn't hear any construction noises. The elevator area was a little chaotic but nothing that interfered with the use of the elevators.

We didn't have to haul our luggage to an off-site hotel via a shuttle. We just walked to this hotel. It isn't the nicest hotel but it was moderately clean and safe. The front desk staff were competent, not overly friendly but not rude. We got the breakfast package and had to wait quite a while in the restaurant as they were grossly understaffed. While the service was horrible, the food was good. If you have to catch an early flight, leave plenty of time for the restaurant. Or else go to one of the many quick spots in the terminal for your food.
Even though the hotel is located in the terminal, the outside walls are thickly insulated and you do not hear any airplanes at all. However, the inside walls are nearly paper thin and you can easily hear your neighbors. If they're quiet during the night, you'll get a good night's sleep. If they're early risers, you will be, too. The shower was psychotic: really good temp and pressure initially and then BAM! cold water and low pressure. Wait a minute and the warm water returns. Sometimes. Or maybe the shower cuts off completely. You never know.
Bottom line for me: choose this for a one night's stay for the convenience. You could do better. You could do worse.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Finnish first
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We were booked in for a night's stay on arriving in Miami prior to joining our cruise. As many reviewers have said, the hotel is undergoing major refurbishment which immediately gives a poor impression. However once inside it is fair to say that is hotel is pretty bruised and battered there too, presumably from the rapid turnaround of many short-stay guests.
We found it to be adequate for our needs. The bed was comfortable, we were not disturbed overnight by noise from within or without, and the room was basic but clean.
We went to the Restaurant at the Top for our dinner and breakfast, and were not disappointed. I had a superb steak!!
This will not doubt be a much better hotel once the work is finished. However for now it doesn't match the image of an 'International Hotel', but it is OK for an overnight stay to break up a journey.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I was skeptical this was going to be a place to rest my head after getting back from Port Au Prince, Haiti. It was delightful. They listened to my request for a quiet room and check in was a breeze. Shower, clean towels, spotless room and king size bed was amazing. Bummed I had to miss the free amazing sit down breakfast the next morning for an early am flight. A few loud baby like kids were running in the hallways around midnight but again---no fault of the hotel whatsoever. Check out was a major breeze as well. They were able to split the bill with no hassle. Except for being a little pricey (hotels on airport site always are...) that is my only criticism. Oh yeah, super quite, never heard a plane once!

Room Tip: When you book online you can make specific requests and I would request a quiet room and being away...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
sf
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

There's a construction mess going on here with reception being dirty and dark. There were loud noises (not sure if it was from the HVAC system or what) that repeatedly woke me.

I checked in as a day room with the expectation that I would relax, nap, and kill about 10 hours. Fully half or more of the TV channels were not working (including all of the sports channels, during March Madness). I called down to reception and they were rude and said there wasn't anything to be done. I asked for maintenance to check it out, and a half hour later he arrived, only to say he didn't know what was going on but all of the sudden they started scrambling signals on a number of the channels. He said he'd go down and check out something at the desk and return -- but he never came back nor called me.

When I complained at check out and asked specifically for an accommodation on the rate, I was told no. I informed them that this day room was for relaxation, napping, and watching March Madness, and that I wasn't asking for a free room or anything, just an accommodation on the rate. He said, "What would we do if we gave money back to everyone who complained?"

I ordered room service (burger and fries) which was decent, with an OK price (of about $14 inclusive of tip and fees).

UPDATE: 5 DAYS AFTER MY INITIAL REVIEW: Management contacted me and apologized and promised follow-up; provided accommodation on room rate. I hope that the promised follow-up with staff and "fixing" of problems (e.g., DirecTV, etc.) are actually done.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Jefferson City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Had to stay here on the way back from out vacation, the keys didn't work, and when I went down there were others with the same problem. Once in our room I thought it smelled of smoke, maybe it's just there as this hotel look like it's from the 60's. We tried to eat on the 7th floor, it was so out dated I thought Elvis would be playing there. After sitting at the table staring at the overpriced limited menu, we left since no one bothered to take our order. Maybe all the construction will help? But it won't help the bad service. I will never stay here again!

Stayed March 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

This property is very convenient for a stay over in Miami. We fly in around 7 p.m. and are checked in and having a nice glass of wine by 8. In the morning we go check our luggage at American, then go back and have breakfast, freshen up, and check out. Through security and out of there for a 9 a.m. flight. Piece of cake.
In all of my experiences, the staff has been pleasant, professional, and accommodating. The rooms have always been clean and well kept.
As for being at an airport, I've always thought the rooms were pretty quiet.
All in all, its just so convenient. If I have to stay in Miami for one night, my money's on the Miami Airport Hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Peoria, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed here before an early morning flight the next day. The best thing about this hotel is the location, especially if you do not want to transport your bags out of the airport in preparation for your next departure. The rooms and beds are tired. The bathroom was not clean and the carpet had stains. The alarm clock did not work (in an airport???) and this was inconvenient. We did have the complimentary breakfast which was average but appreciated. We were happy that we did not have to pay the $15 per person for it. There is some remodeling going on and, hopefully, this will make this tired place fresh and inviting...at the prices that are charged, it needs it!

Room Tip: there are no good rooms, all small and our room looked out at a building
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Miami International Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!