“The Dump. (NOT worth $160/night)” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #68 of 115 Hotels in Miami
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The Dump. (NOT worth $160/night)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Allow me to get the good out of the way:

There is a free airport shuttle and our driver was excellent- very courteous and polite. (That's all for the good.)

After a delightful cruise aboard the Royal Caribbean, we decided to get a hotel overnight as our flight was changed for a 615a departure the following day. We called numerous hotels near the airport (and even the hotel inside of MIA) only to be told there were no vacancies due to the occurrence of the Miami Grand Auto Show. A quick search online gave us the number to LaQuinta Inn Miami Airport North. The clerk told us there was only one double occupancy room left so we quickly made the reservation. She also was quick to dispatch the shuttle (as we was currently en route to drop off guests).

We were given room 233 upon check-in. The clerk advised that we come downstairs the next morning and she would immediately hail the shuttle to take us to the airport. We walked past the pool and up the stairs (as all of the rooms are outside and the elevator was farther than our room) to get to our room. There was a weird smell when we opened the door, but we couldn't tell if it was mold, mildew, or cleaning solutions. The carpet was also stained throughout the room. Nonetheless, we dropped our bags and headed back to find something to eat. [FYI: there is a Wendy's, McDonald's, and a strip mall with both Peruvian and Chinese restaurants.] After eating we came back to the room and that's when we saw the disaster for what it was. I went into the bathroom and pulled back the shower curtain to reveal the filthiest tub I've ever seen at a hotel. (Note: we showered in our flip flops.) The bathroom was just a mess-- even the toilet paper had green mold on it. (Luckily there was an unopened roll behind the toilet.) While I was in the bathroom, I heard a shriek. My cousin pulled back the covers to take a nap and there were black flecks all over the sheets. I told her to move over to my bed and we'd just sleep on top of the covers (and on top of the unused towels). In the midst of picking up our bags and moving them to higher ground (as the floor and bed could no longer be trusted) we noticed little ants creeping along the corners of the nightstand [some of which appeared to fly]. I was enraged with the conditions. I called downstairs to tell them of our horrors and the clerk was very nonchalant about the entire thing. She offered no apologies but did offer to move us the following night. I reminded her that this was only an overnight stay. She then had the bright idea (sarcasm) to send up another hotel employee with bug spray. I told her that was not the best idea as we'd be left to inhale the fumes. About 10min after I hung up, we heard a knock on the door. It was a male employee holding a can of spray. I grabbed the spray and I quickly noticed that is was an odor eliminator. I asked the employee the purpose of the spray and he stated, "it works for everything." I declined his offer and shut the door. We slept in the fetal position on top of the bedspread and towels that night- the most uncomfortable ever.

The next morning, we ran downstairs to check-out and catch the shuttle as we were all to anxious to leave the hotel. We asked the clerk to dispatch the shuttle and she told us that we would have to wait until 6a. When we told her the info we had been given the previous afternoon, she informed us that the shuttle only runs every hour on the hour. (The time was 5:04a, meaning we had just missed the 5a shuttle.) We told her of our flight time (615a) and she looked at us dazed and confused. We then asked her to hail a cab, which came quickly, and we were on our way.

This was my first (and definitely my last) stay at a La Quinta property. I went onto the company's Facebook page to express my disappointment and I am still awaiting a response from corporate. I didn't expect Waldorf-type conditions for $180/night (with taxes and fees) but I did not expect to stay at Chilligan's Island either.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
Corning, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed at La Quinta Miami Airport North because they have a 24hr free airport shuttle and because it is close to a lot of restaurant's..
I was picked up within 15 min's after getting my bags.
I grabbed some take out for the near by Hong Kong city restaurant, that too was fast and easy, food was great the beds are great.
My ride back to the airport was fast and I made my flight on time Thanks

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Pleasantville, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed here for an overnight transfer through Miami Airport. The hotel is near the airport with a free shuttle, although it is a bit further from the airport than other hotels, Our room was nice and clean. The A/C was a little noisy, but it was basically white noise that helped drown out any noise from the airport across the street. There are a few places to eat within walking distance - a McDonald's, Denny's, and a small shopping center next door with several small Latin/South American restaurants.

There was a continental breakfast included, however it was very crowded in the morning. The food was adequate - toast, packaged muffins, bagels, cereal, apples, oranges, juice & coffee. With the crowd it was a little difficult maneuvering between the toaster, coffee & tables.

Depending upon the rate you get, I would recommend the hotel for an overnight stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Williston, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

A basic hotel that has great staff, clean rooms, but dirty stairwells. Breakfast was basic, but fine. Convenient to airport. I prefer fresh air over air conditioning, but that was not an option. I like the ease of transportation offered from Hotel to Airport every 300 minutes.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Good airport hotel .. 10 minutes from airport with free shuttle. Nice big room, helpful staff, close to many dining options, seems to be bus stop just outside . Good variety for free breakfast.
May need to ring for shuttle to come to airport.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Tobago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

First and foremost ....the Staff there....THEY ARE SUPER FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL OMG you cannot ask for better staff....I do think that they were a bit understaff during my stay ....but they are wonderful people.

Me, my husband and 16 month old son stayed there for a period of 9 days...the location is great....close to a number of resturants.....close to the airport....to bus stops.....to walmart...to malls ...it was a great stay.

I'll stay there again....the only down thing is the floors in the rooms needs an update/ renewal..the carpet has a smell attached to it and the bathrrom floors needs a proper scrub. Also aprt from the breakfast that needs to be spruced up a little ....one morning we arrived for bfast at 830 and of course like any other morning had to wait for a table by 8 45 we were seated and the woman who was serving bfast had stopped refilling the trays and baskets with bread and fruit ....and everything else...If breakfast is served from 6 to 9 then the trays should stop being refilled at 9 between my husband , me and my son who has a very healthy appetite we were left with 4 pcs of bread . There were others who came after us but before the 9 am and got nothing....This should be looked into.

Other than that our stay was great.....Front desk staff made it this way!!

Room Tip: we stayed in room 140 and it was good ...