“Great choice for stay & cruise” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   7401 North West 36th St, Miami, FL 33166   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #68 of 111 Hotels in Miami
New York
“Great choice for stay & cruise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We were looking for a reasonably priced hotel in Miami where we could stay the night before a cruise and then leave our car parked while we were cruising. I booked this room with some trepidation due to the mixed reviews but figured I could deal with almost anything for one night. My fears were completely unfounded! While the buildings themselves look a little outdated, our room on the 3rd floor was perfectly suitable. This is my first time at a LaQuinta so I don't have anything to compare it with but everything you would need in a hotel room is here: large comfortable bed, roomy desk area, oversized dresser, flat screen tv, etc. Best of all, the room was immaculate. Actually, best of all would have to be the staff who are over the top friendly and accommodating. We will definitely stay here again and I will recommend this property to all of my friends.

As far as the location, there are plenty of shops, restaurants and fast food outlets in easy walking distance (right next door!). There is also 24 hour security if that is a concern.

Room Tip: You can hear planes flying overhead from any room but that is probably the case with any of the airp...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Palmetto, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here for the the 2nd time. Very convenient 24 hr airport shuttle to MIA, courteous staff, adequate accommodations. I needed to stay overnight and catch an early morning flight out of MIA. Don't expect anything fancy. They let me leave my car parked at the hotel for free while I was out of the country.
There are several restaurants a few minutes walking distance from the hotel. We ate at a Peruvian restaurant nearby and it was very good. ( I am very critical about food ).
I plan to stay here again the next time I need to stay overnight to catch a morning flight out of MIA.

Room Tip: I asked for a 1st floor room because I was traveling with a lot of luggage and that made it easier...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This motel is so horrible that I don't know where to begin. We had booked 3 rooms and despite that we arrived 6.30pm one of the rooms weren't ready until 7.30pm. The room 361 and 355 were pretty fine but the room 370 was horrible. The carpet was soaked with black water by the entrance to the room and by the bedside, there was a very distinctive smell of mold in the whole room that only got worse and worse. The room wasn't clean, there was spiderwebs here and there. The wallpaper on the wall was coming off in one place. Cheese doodles on the floor from the previous guests, that wasn't removed despite I wrote a post-it asking the housekeeping to remove it for two days. The toilet seat was broken and was not replaced on request. There was shattered glass by the window suggesting there had been a smashed window. The toilet got clogged twice exactly as previous reviews are describing, the internet kept on going offline all the time and was extremely slow on four different computers. No refrigerator or microwave in none of the three rooms despite this was stated on the booking confirmation. The pool was closed off citing it was a health hazard. It was impossible to sleep because the planes to MIA are roaring down all the night through, you can barely speak to each other because of this. The staff were extremely rude, one woman in front desk just picked up the phone and said "call back later" and hanged up the phone. Not enough toiletries and towels for all guests in the room was provided and no new toilet roll was provided despite the toilet paper was used up. The mirror on the wall was full of dirty brown stains. The front desk manager was also extremely rude, accusing me of lying amongst other things. The staff were speaking sniffy in spanish all the time about us, refusing to speak english on request. The breakfast is also a joke, no comment necessary, read all the other reviews. The ice machine was broken. There had been a break in one of the rooms on the first floors. Finally we asked to change room and despite that the website showed plenty of vacancy the front desk manager claimed the hotel was full. But since they couldn't fix the toilet, the front desk manager found a new room just next to ours just like magic. This is the worst motel I have ever stayed at, and I have stayed in many other la quinta properties before. I would not advise anyone to stay here even if you get paid for it. My father got sick from staying in this motel room no 370. It seems like a really unsafe area as the police are patrolling there all the time and you can hear sirens all the day long. Do yourself a big favor and don't choose this motel. And it's not a hotel as they are claiming it is a very bad and old motel.

Room Tip: Make sure to NOT get room 370. And I would suggest go and look and smell the room before accepting i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago with my family, and we would never go back:
1.- Customer service very bad
2.- It is very far from everything, you need a car if you'll stay there
3.- When I phoned to make reservations they said they had courtesy shuttle to the cruise terminal, for my surprise they offer you the service but for $ 10.00 each
4.- Not very clean - The toilet was obstructed, a janitor came by but didn't fix the problem
5.- For breakfast, there are a few tables (around 5, 6 ? ) by the front desk (cluttered) which were all taken, so half of the people were having breakfast standing up or at the computers desk.
6.- Very expensive for what they offer, I paid after taxes close to $ 140 for 1 night

I believe it was the worst hotel/inn I've been in my life

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Tampa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at this motel recently and was not to impressed. I travel a lot for work and typically try to stay in Holiday Inn Express and have come to expect a certain level of cleanliness, that this motel was lacking.

When I was checking into this place a women came into the lobby and told the clerk that there was strangers hanging by her room, which I thought was kinda scary. My room was older but ok. It wasnt super clean. I had to move the desk to plug in my computer and noticed dead bugs and dirt. The staff seemed great. Like I said , not super bad, but probably wont stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
LEJ45
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed here because we were looking for a place between South Beach and the Everglades—our day 1 and 2 vacation stops. The price at the hotel was great and the room was perfect (i.e. clean, decent size) for the money. The breakfast was decent enough: cereals, bananas, juice, coffee, muffins, etc—typical continental. The only downside was the noise and I’m not referring to the expected noise coming from the airplanes overhead (because, hey, it’s near the airport). I’m talking about having a room on the first floor and hearing everyone walk by the door (which was adjacent to the parking lot) at all hours. No sound-proofing whatsoever! Luckily, we only stayed one night, so I could deal with it for one night. All in all, if you’re looking for a clean, inexpensive place to stay near there airport, then go for it.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor next to the parking places and busy walkways.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Blytheville, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

First problem was waiting over an hour for a shuttle even after calling the front desk and being told it would be a 10-20 min. wait. The shuttle driver was not the least bit friendly or helpful. Thought we would have to load our own luggage. He finally started picking up the bags when we refused to do his job. Then on checking in, after stating that we had a lot of luggage, the clerk said she would give us a "great room". I assumed that would include a shorter walk to the room, however we were put on a hard to reach 2nd floor room. The room itself was clean and didn't smell of mold, however there was a spot light on the roof immediately outside our window (Room 200) that shined in all night, until it finally went off at 3am. The reason I know that is because we were awakened at 3am from someone using the ice machine at that time. The ice machine is incredibly placed directly outside this room (not around a corner or in any way off to the side). Unbelievable for a room costly over $100.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Quinta Inn Miami Airport North? Share your experiences!