“OMG What a palace!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“OMG What a palace!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

Moving from a luxurious apt on South beach to Sofitel was difficult, thinking we were downgrading but found quite the opposite in a fantastic place. Service was exemplary, foyer decor was out of this world with a staircase better than the one on the Titanic , not that I saw the ship first hand of course. Rooms were elegant with plush decor and beds you could stay in forever. HD flat screen TV was a luxury we didn't expect but a nice bonus. Being close to the airport meant a little noise from the constant take offs but not enough to wake us. Located so far from South beach could be a problem but the public bus service is very good, cheap and reliable. All in all, with a high class restaurant this place is way above any other hotel in the area (not that I have tried them all of course) and one that I would gladly return to.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

We were lucky that this four star hotel came up on Hotwire for only about $65 for the one night we needed to stay near the Miami airport. It shows up on Hotwire as a four star hotel for this very low price. Their free shuttle runs every 30 minutes departing on the hour and half hour from the hotel to MIA airport. The bed was wonderful with a European style comforter. No coffee maker in the room. Free Internet in the lobby area but the computers will reset to the home page if you don't access something every minute or so which is frustrating if you're trying to copy something down on paper. They say the pool is open 24 hours but you must wear a wet suit - it's cold and unheated. Very dark lobby at night - you are in danger of running into things in the dark. Otherwise very clean and neat. $8 per day for parking which is better than the Wyndham which charges $11. Cornflakes for breakfast in the restaurant will set you back $5 - the cheapest option. Great value for the money at this price.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

The Sofitel has a remarkable difference: every employee appears to be willing to make a difference, anytime, anywhere they are glad to greet you and be the first to help!
You may find newer hotels in the area but I believe the hospitality is unbeatable!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
New Orleans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

I stayed at the Sofitel in October 2009. The staff and hotel are very nice. For the price we paid and location of the hotel, we received a very good deal. We had one problem where the a/c wasn't cooling the room. The staff sent someone to the room immediately and within minutes switched us to another room, they even sent someone to retrieve our luggage.
The decor is nice and the rooms are nice. We stayed in a double suite with the lagoon view and although we were barely in the room, when we were, we were comfortable.
I loved the pillows. My head just sunk into them and I slept like a baby in the bed.

I've read some of the bad reviews and I was skeptical at first, but once I arrived I understand that you cannot please everyone. For a near the airport hotel, I'd definitely stay there again.
The only qulams I have are that the windows were a bit dirty and I couldn't get a good pic of the lagoon from the room, we had to pay $8 a day for parking and the room service and restaurant prices were a bit high. However, those things did not effect my stay at all.

I consider myself to be picky and if I can say that I enjoyed my stay, then I think a less than picky person would too. Now if you want mega amenities, then you should pay more and stay somewhere else. It's close to everything, so if you have a rental car you won't be driving around aimlessly. They offer the basics and you'll have a most comfortable stay.
Trust me.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
South Tampa & Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

I stayed for 2 nights at the Sofitel this past weekend. I picked this hotel as the price was great on Kayak (at $120 all in) then was actually $108 all in as a promotion on the Sofitel site. Also, it was reviewed great here and seemed like my type of property being a large, full scale property and great value. 1 night was planned the other added on due to some unfortunate events while in town. The staff were great from bellman to front desk attendants to the concierge. Everyone was very professional and friendly. While I wouldnt go so far as to say the hotel is a true 5-star, it is definitely a VERY SOLID 4 Diamond as its rated by AAA. The location isnt the best if you arent going to the airport but if you have a car its only a short 10 minutes on the expressway (right outside the complex) to downtown and 15 minutes or so to the beaches. To me the value more then made up for the drive back and forth to the hotel. The room was very nice and id definitely say anywhere else in miami this room would be $300+ a night. As much as I dislike Miami in general when I return again on business I will definitely give Sofitel a chance again!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

We arrived early in the morning for an afternoon cruise, and were staying at Sofitel at the end of our cruise, a week later. We had an entire day to kill, and decided to see if we could leave our bags at the hotel while we did some sight seeing. The gentleman at the desk was so helpful! Not only did he allow us to check our bags in, he arranged a bus tour of Miami and a shuttle to get us to the tour start location, and then to our cruise ship. After our cruise, we were very pleased with the stay at the hotel. The room was large and clean, and had a nice view. It's very convenient to the airport. I wouldn't stay here if I was vacationing in Miami, but a wonderful place to stay before or after a flight. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
uc davis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

This is the best place to be if you are in Miami for the first time or the last time. Very cheerful and helpfull staff , free shuttle rides to and from airport and the dolphin mall. extra clean. i mean i dont have words if i have to lure you into getting this hotel for your next vacation. its that good. :O) seriously. we are definately staying there next time we are in miami.Food is very good. you do have buy internet for 8 bucks a day from tmobile. The parking is extra 8 dollars but the front desk just validated it .overall it was very nice and i had a wonderful time with my girlfriend. Sofitel made it a trip to remember and the best vacation ever so far.
good luck
Lalli Shahi

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Miami? Share your experiences!