“DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL ” 1 of 5 stars

You added Sofitel Miami to your Saves list
Sofitel Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5800 Blue Lagoon Drive, Miami, FL 33126   |
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save 20%!
Ranked #30 of 131 hotels in Miami
“DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I would give this hotel negative 5 stars if I could and I haven't even stepped foot in the place.

As a business professional I must travel often and have stayed in many luxury hotels. Never have I had an experience such as the one I had with Sofitel. I made the unfortunate mistake of booking my week long stay at this hotel online. I received my email confirmation stating that there is some 72 hour cancelation policy which is pretty standard.

A few days later when my business travel plans changed and I needed to cancel the reservation is when things went from bad to worse. I called to cancel within the 72 hour policy and the reservation customer service representative obliged accordingly. Thinking nothing of it until I got my credit card statement that I found out Sofitel still charged me for the entire stay!!!! I called the hotel and they said they they didn't have a record of my credit card on file!!!! Finally they found my reservation and told me that in their terms and conditions the 10th one down it states there are no refunds for cancelations, period!!!! I asked why didn't the rep tell me that at the time of cancelation and she said and I quote, "yes, she should have told you". No apology, no "let me see what I can do", no nothing.

I must also point out that the terms and conditions are not displayed on the screen when you're reserving the room. It is emailed to you once you have already paid which is too late. I called my credit card company and they have temporarily refunded the amount pending their investigation. When I called the hotel back to see if I can continue with my reservation they told me they had booked my room to another guest! So they're not out any money and are actually collecting twice for the same room!!!!

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. THERE ARE SO MANY LUXURY MIAMI HOTELS THAT HAVE ETHICAL BUSINESS PRACTICES.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Pierre-Jotterand, Director of Operations at Sofitel Miami, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your comments. At Sofitel, we strive to provide an exclusive service experience for every guest, and I sincerely apologize for the difficulties you encountered with cancelling your reservation. Please feel free to contact me directly at pierre.jotterand@sofitel.com with all the details of your reservation. I stand at your service to personally investigate the situation and make any necessary adjustments.
With all my apologies and best regards,
Pierre Jotterand
Director of Operations

2,057 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Polish first
Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here in the past several times and thought it was nice. That is why we booked Sofitel Miami again earlier this week for two nights. It has really gone down hill since our last stay. The lobby and hallways were not clean and neat as before. They were playing some sort of Jamaican music way too loud and it was annoying throughout the lobby areas. But the worst thing was the fire alarm going off and having to evacuate the building when there was no fire, no emergency of any sort. They said that "it does that sometimes" because they are remodeling a couple floors. My wife and her 80 year old grandparents were on the 12th floor. The alarm goes off and the elevator shuts down so they had to use the stairs. When they arrived at the bottom they, along with all the other guests who had to evacuate noticed that it was business as usual at the front desk. My went over to find out what was going on and that is when the lady at the front desk said "it does that sometimes"....with no apology, no concern for all the people who just came down the stairs. Knowing that "it does that sometimes", the hotel should have rushed someone upstairs to tell everyone who thought they needed to evacuate that it was a false alarm. I will never stay at this hotel again and will never recommend it to anyone. This place is poorly managed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. We sincerely regret to read that you and your family did not enjoy your stay with us.
The safety of our guests is of the utmost importance to us, and I can assure you that our security systems are fully operational. Each alarm is taken very seriously and immediately investigated by our Director of Security.
I would welcome and appreciate the opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience and to personally explain our safety procedures. At your convenience, please contact me directly at pierre.jotterand@sofitel.com.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Pierre Jotterand
Director of Operations
Marlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is our second time at the Sofitel Miami. It's a great hotel for an overnight stay after a long flight from the UK before driving to the Keys.
The hotel rooms are looking tired but the bed is very comfortable and at £70 a night it is excellent value. The bathroom is good with a very efficient shower.
We particularly like eating in the bar which has a very good menu and we were looked after by a very nice young French guy.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
B_Nagesvaran, General Manager at Sofitel Miami, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us on your way to the Florida Keys. We were delighted to welcome you back, and it is with great pleasure that I will share your compliments with Fabrice, our bar ambassador.
I am also very happy to inform you that we are in the process of major renovations. All of our guestrooms should be completed by your next visit.
We look forward to your next stay!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Sofitel Miami was the final leg of our one month stay in the US! My friend and I were both tired and were thankful to stay at a Hotel with such comfortable, clean rooms and friendly staff.

I will be sure to head back here when returning to the US.

Room Tip: I said "highest room available" and was given the top floor. Really great service!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
We are delighted that you had a great experience at Sofitel Miami. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations, and we thank you for taking the time to share your story.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

A bientôt!

Charvonnex, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We spent our first night in Florida in this hotel - a perfect start. Our room was very spacious with a sitting room and a wonderfully comfortable bed, which I wish I could have brought home. the staff were all very pleasant and gracious and made our stay very nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
B_Nagesvaran, General Manager at Sofitel Miami, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We were delighted to welcome you to sunny Florida, and I am delighted to know that you will keep excellent memories of your first night in Miami.
We look forward to your next visit.
Warm regards,
OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed one night as we had to wait to fly home the following night from our Caribbean vacation. The hotel staff were very nice and friendly. They were able to give us a room that we could have a late check out time as our flight time changed until evening. The room was very clean and spacious. Shuttle picked us up at airport and took us back next afternoon. The gentleman ( I am sorry I forgot his name) who took us back to the airport was very nice. He told us a little about the hotel and Miami. Places to visit and sites to see so that if we go back, we can spend more time in Miami. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant but walked a few blocks to a shopping plaza and there were several restaurants and shops. It was a nice evening to walk and stretch our legs after our long flights. The young man at the parking gate was very helpful - told us what was around and which direction to go in. Overall the hotel staff was very friendly and knowledgeable and we would definitely return when we are in Miami.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
B_Nagesvaran, General Manager at Sofitel Miami, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us upon your return from the Caribbean. We were delighted to host you on your way back home, and I am very happy to know that you will keep excellent memories of the evening you spent with us.
Our entire team is looking forward to welcoming you back to Miami in the near future.
Balendra Nagesvaran

Been to Sofitel Miami? Share your experiences!