“French Hotel,...Internationally dissapointing...” 2 of 5 stars

You added Sofitel Miami to your Saves list
Sofitel Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5800 Blue Lagoon Drive, Miami, FL 33126   |
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save 20%!
Ranked #33 of 130 hotels in Miami
Miami, Florida
“French Hotel,...Internationally dissapointing...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great welcoming by the Doormen/Bellmen...They do make you feel welcome and at home but the hospitality ends there. We stayed for two weeks (plannned to stay 3 or 4 weeks but could not deal with it any longer) and unfortunatelly we were able to witness first hand such poor customer service (robotic like, lifless), poor practices of housekeeping and maintenance in general. Inconsistency in amenity placement (missing items on a daily basis), old and ripped terry. Excess of funds placed on hold without the Front Desk being able to explain reasons why. Constantly receiving notes from the desk asking us to come by to present a method of payment, although since day one they had our credit card information. As a result, very often we tried to get in our room and were not able to because the key "would not open" so we had to go down to the desk to re-program the key. The parking tickets to get in and out of the parking facilities do not work. At least they did not work most of the time, even the parking staff acknowledged that to me.
I was able after trying very hard to get the Director of Operations information and I left him a message. He returned my call and although he was no really emphatetic, (if he was I did not feel it). When I got to the hotel after speaking with the DOO,... surprise...my parking ticket did not work again and my room key was not working either....
Telephone conversations in these situations can be a bit deceiving so I decided to give the DOO another opportunity to show some care, and came in person to speak with him and saddly the results were the same, I left the meeting frustraded but above all very dissapointed to see that the business I am so pasionate about: "Hospitality",... could be so cold and lacking so much hospitality. (I am a hotelier).
At the end of the conversation I told the DOO that I was going out to dinner and would try the parking ticket, then he asked me "where are you going for dinner"? My reply: I do not know, I am going to drive around....No mention on his part something like " Please be my guest for dinner tonight!... I was not expecting it and I would have declined it any way but I left with a very dissapointng taste of the French hotel in Miami....
Then was when I got really frustrated. And was going to be initially just a friendly email and/or conversation between hoteliers, became this TripAdvisor review.

Room Tip: I cn give any tips because I will not return nor recommend this hotel to associates
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
B_Nagesvaran, General Manager at Sofitel Miami, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at the Sofitel Miami. I have reviewed your remarks and concerns. I can assure you that I take them very seriously.

I would truly appreciate the opportunity to further discuss your experience and personally apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay. At your convenience, please contact me directly at (305) 264-4888 or H0889@sofitel.com.

Again, I am really sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations and hope to have the pleasure of speaking with you very soon.

Best regards,

2,224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here because it was so close to the airport and we needed somewhere to stay for one night before driving to Orlando. We checked in at around 11pm and the staff could not have been more helpful. Unfortunately, their systems had been upgraded recently and our reservation had been mislaid but it only took 5 minutes to find it and they were chatty and friendly whilst they looked. Due to the inconvenience, the kind receptionist upgraded us for free without asking and we found ourselves in the presidential suite! WOW, what an amazing room. We were absolutely delighted and wished we weren't so exhausted so that we could have enjoyed it more!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody because of its location and friendly, helpful staff (the upgrade was just a fabulous extra for us!)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
B_Nagesvaran, General Manager at Sofitel Miami, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you very much for making the Sofitel Miami your choice of accommodation before driving to Orlando. We are delighted to know that you will keep excellent memories of our Presidential Suite and hope you will be back soon for more Magnifique moments at the Sofitel Miami.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My family and I go to Miami quite a bit, but rarely stay near the airport. The Sofitel had a great rate and we had a car, so we tried it. What a pleasant surprise. The hotel was clean, the rooms large, the staff friendly and knowledgeable, and the service was quite good. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
B_Nagesvaran, General Manager at Sofitel Miami, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
We look forward to welcoming you back soon with your family. We will be honored to have another opportunity to demonstrate the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.
Warm regards,
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Front desk staffs are nice and seems professional, the lady at the parking is also nice but our maid doesn't speak english and keeps talking in spanish to us. The bed is really soft and comfy. Our room is a bit small. I feel like I'm living in a jail that had nice decorations... The building is really old, eventhough they try to renovate it abit I still can tell that it's around 20 years old. We can hear clearly when someone scratching carpets from above us. TV's screen is a little bit too small compare to other hotels. I think Sofitel should close this hotel for renovation for a while... or just demolish the building and build a new one. I didn't mean to be harsh but I think the hotel really need some work done :l

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at the Sofitel Miami. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for; therefore, your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to improve upon our services and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests.

I am truly sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations, and I am very pleased to inform you that we are planning major renovations within the next few months..

We look forward to welcoming you back to a fully renovated Sofitel Miami with the same excellence service.

Sarcelles, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We sayed here just for one night but wished it was for longer. The free shuttle to and from airport was convenient. The staff were very friendly. The rooms were very large and clean, and so was the bathroom. Very nice Lanvin amenities. The bed was very comfortable. The view from the room was beautiful. The pool was refreshing and clean, with beach towels provided right at the poolside. The landscaping was also very nicely done. There is a shopping plaza within a 10 minute walking distance with a supermarket and restaurants, so you don't have to eat at the hotel. There were two internet options, one free at normal speed and the other paying with a higher speed, but the free one was good enough for checking emails and browsing the web. The only thing we found a bit on the down side was that breakfast is very expensive. It's very good quality breakfast, but you end up paying about 20 dollars a person. We could have walked to the shopping plaza and had a Cuban breakfast at the Cuban restaurant there, but we were a bit lazy to do so in the early morning. Check out at noon is a plus, though, as it gives us time to enjoy the pool and take our time before checking out. It was a nice and relaxing overnight stay after a long flight from Paris. I definitely will come here again on my next trip to Miami.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
B_Nagesvaran, General Manager at Sofitel Miami, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We are delighted that you had a great experience at Sofitel Miami. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation, and we thank you for taking the time to share your story.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel and hopefully for a longer visit. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

With all my best regards,

CASCAIS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The staff was very kind and efficent at all times; room was very big with a nice size LCD; restaurant was also nice and Carlos gave a special touch to our first meal in Miami; drinks at the bar with aperitifs were fantastic; would definitely recommend to anyone for a short stay in Miami being close to the airport.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a beautiful view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are delighted to know that you will keep excellent memories of your stay with us, and it is with great pleasure that I will personally recognize Carlos, our restaurant ambassador, for his excellent service.
Our entire team is looking forward to your next visit.
Balendra Nagesvaran

Been to Sofitel Miami? Share your experiences!