“Four Star Ready For Next Step” 4 of 5 stars

Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #36 of 115 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Venice
“Four Star Ready For Next Step”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We've been at this hotel for pleasure, business, lunch and receptions. So convenient to the airport and a great place to park your car if you live in Florida and travel abroad, Sofitel offers French ambiance with South Florida cool surroundings. Art Deco styling in the lobby and bar area is signature Miami. The restaurant is very nice and the menu creative.

The rooms are nice but I've stayed in nicer Sofitel rooms and this is where the hotel can aspire to a 5-Star rating by simple refurbishing of hallway carpeting and room decor upgrades.

This is not a knock on this beautiful property but a gentle nudge to see it advance to its full potential.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
B_Nagesvaran, General Manager at Sofitel Miami, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you very much for being such a loyal guest. At Sofitel, we strive to demonstrate French Elegance with a touch of our local culture. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the experience every time you visited.

Balendra Nagesvaran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Prior to our Caribbean cruise earlier this month, my husband and I decided to stay one night in Miami and were referred to the Sofitel Miami through the cruise line. While the hotel is clearly an older building, the amenities were very nice, the staff extremly professional and customer oriented, and the room was clean and comfortable. We had a drink in the lobby bar the night we arrived and found it to be a very pleasant atmosphere. The breakfast buffet the next morning was very good, with a large selection, and again the restaurant staff was very courteous. The only negative I can think to mention is that finding the hotel shuttle at the airport was a bit frustrating, but once we were in the bus, everything else was a breeze. I highly recommend the hotel and if we find ourselves in Miami in the future, we would stay at the Sofitel knowing it will be a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: ask that your room not be directly above the hotel entry - voices travel up
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
B_Nagesvaran, General Manager at Sofitel Miami, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
I hope you had a very pleasant cruise in the Caribbean, and thank you very much for staying with us before sailing out.

We strive to be known for a friendly, professional and personalized service. It will be my pleasure to share your compliments with our restaurant and bar team.

We look forward to your next visit.

Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My Mom, girlfriend, sister, brother-in-law and I went on a cruise for my Mom's 60th b-day. Due to the transfers from the airport and to Port of Miami, we (Mom) chose to stay at the Sofitel prior to a cruise to the Bahamas.

The hotel is very close to the airport and only a $20-25 cab fare to downtown Miami. Ultra was in town last weekend when we were there!!! I think all five of us were pleased with the property. If you are expecting beach front then this is not your property. However, there are nice water views and the hotel has a classy feel to it. It was extremely clean and aside from paying $7 for the FIJI water I so desperately needed in the morning after Ultra, I have no complaints! Well...our view from the room was the stucco roof above the restaurant, but our other room had a great view to the front of the hotel...but we were only in the room to sleep.

The concierge and other bellman were awesome. Everyone of the staff members were really friendly. I asked them where the nearest liquor store was and we were driven there and he even came back to pick us up! Of course we took care of him for his gesture :). The bar and restaurant were very nice and the breakfast we enjoyed outside on the patio was outstanding!

I know there are more than enough properties to choose from in Miami, but overall you cannot go wrong at the Sofitel; I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front of the hotel or if in the backside have a room on one of the higher floo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
B_Nagesvaran, General Manager at Sofitel Miami, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience, and we are so pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us.

We hope to see you again very soon.

St. Louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I really want to stress I try to judge a hotel based on price/value ratio overall and take into account prevailing rates nearby. I would like to first remind readers that during certain times of the year hotels around the MIA airport are frankly stupid expensive. Days Inn 200.00 per night on a Friday? Puhlease... So I have to start off this review by saying considering the overall rates around, I was not displeased by Sofitel at all. I can only say I was frankly underwhelmed. As was clear from the lobby overflowing with cruise-tagged luggage, this place does brisk business on Friday nights with people coming in for Sat departing cruises. Service at check in was fine, I booked two rooms and got two rooms. Ok.. had to go down again as one set of key cards did not work.

Rooms.....eh...not terrible... not great.... kind of like what you would expect at an oldish hilton. I think they gave me an accessible room so in that regard, if I was in need of an accessible room I would have appreciated it... but as I am not yet there in my life, grab bars and high toilets with no counters do not impress me...also shoving the ironing board behind the TV because the closet was removed to allow for wheelchair access seemed a cheap cop out.

Ok... but I was only there for a night...

My family and I arrived late and were a little hungry.. we decided to forgo the dinning room and just eat in the bar... I really hate when service people tell you how understaffed they are as an excuse for slow service. 10 mins and we were not acknowledged. I went to the bar and was given the "sorry we are very busy" story. Eventually was able to order a beer, wine and some snacks for a whopping 100bucks. Meh.... overpriced food, underwhelming quality. Example We order the 20buck Asian platter... 4 of everything...except the egg roll which was strange... when we asked if one perhaps had rolled off they waitress said "maybe" and then said she would check... she came back and said they are making you another. 5mins later a plate bearing 1 small spring roll was brought out...hmmm strange indeed.

So hey if you need a room and are willing to pay 200bucks for a friday night near the airport and realize that even the days inn is getting 200bucks then sure the So Sofitel is right for you. Just don't get all "this is gonna be a fancy, great place" probably better than most around the airport but that is not saying much.

Room Tip: Worry about price not room...get the best price
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your detailed review of your recent stay with us. Please allow me to express my deepest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. It does not reflect the outstanding service and attention to details we strive to be known for. I can assure you that we have immediately addressed the situation with our Front Office and Bar Managers in order to prevent any future occurrence.

We would be honored to welcome you back in the near future, and I stand at your service to personally ensure that your next visit is most enjoyable. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We booked this hotel due to the terrific price offered through a 3rd party hotel broker (Hotels.com) and we were more than happy with the nightly rate in January. In addition the proximity to the airport was a plus. We booked for 3 nights and were extremely pleased with our choice.

The room was spacious with a comfortable king bed and a view that we very much enjoyed. The complimentary bottled water was appreciated along with free Wi Fi. The location is a bit far from South Beach and any longer than 3 nights, the drive might become tiresome. Parking is an additional $9.00 per day which we found reasonable for a city. Staff were very friendly.

Only problems we encountered was a warm room. We requested the duvet be removed and it was done so by housekeeping however the air conditioning was not adequate for the room. This may be a problem during the heat of a Miami summer. The second problem was when booking a room I requested a quiet room, specifically 'away from elevators and ice machines'. Our room was directly across from the ice machine?? We thought we could live with the room as we thought we may not hear much noise however when we returned from dinner surprisingly the ice machine was used at 11:30 pm, 2:00 am and again at 7:00 am. The next morning we requested to be moved and there was no problem, reception was more than happy to move us and very apologetic.

We would definitely return to this hotel - it was an excellent choice!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for recommending the Sofitel as an excellent choice of accommodation in Miami. We truly value your patronage, and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the air conditioning. We have immediately taken the necessary measures with our Director of Engineering in order to perform a complete assessment of our cooling system.

Our relationship with our guests is extremely important to us. Our entire team is looking forward to your next visit.

Warm regards,

Suffolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

A group of 6 of us stayed at the Sofitel for three nights prior to a cruise and we were all very impressed. The check in was very smooth and we were all in our rooms within minutes. All of the staff are very courteous and friendly and we used the inhouse taxi driver - cant remember his name - but he drove us everywhere over the three days and advised us on what to see and do. The rooms were very clean and the bed was one of the best Ive ever slept in - I really didnt want to get out of it. There is a free courtesy shuttle to and from the airport. The only disappointing thing was the weather but hey ho from there we went to the Caribbean!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your kind words on the quality of our service. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our unique “MyBed” concept, providing the ultimate sleeping experience as a soft cocoon of fluffy feathers envelops your body. Most of our bedding is available online to enjoy in the comfort of your home. If you have the opportunity, please visit our “Soboutique” website.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Milano, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Sofitel Miami is conveniently close to the airport and has a shuttle service to and from the airport. The location was great if you need to be near the Miami airport, free shuttle takes 10 minutes and is available every 30 minutes. For just one or two nights in Miami is a very good accommodation. Comfortable lounge and bar area with a coffee and pastry shop in the lobby. The staff was outstanding; they were friendly, courteous and easily answered any questions that we had.
Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Flat screen television, floor to ceiling windows, lounge area, spacious toilet & bath. The bed was comfortable and the linens clean. The bathroom was spotless and everything worked. Their vanity kits were very complete and a nice addition to the room. Complimentary bottles of water were replenished every day. There is free wifi Internet access; you have to pay if you want broadband, but the free access is enough. Pool area was nice with extremely comfortable loungers and a relatively large pool.
I highly recommend this property as an overnight stay for anyone wanting a superior experience at an airport hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
B_Nagesvaran, General Manager at Sofitel Miami, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
We are delighted that you had a great experience at Sofitel Miami. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation, and we thank you for taking the time to share your story.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

With all my best regards,