“Conveniently located 5 minutes away from the airport” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #38 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Bournemouth
“Conveniently located 5 minutes away from the airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel is only 5 minutes away from Maimi's International Airport. It has a shuttle bus that runs every 15 minutes to the airport. Staff are very friendly and attentive to guests despite being very busy. They offered me a few local calls free when I did not have an alternative way of communication. Rooms are air-conditioned and comfortable with tea and coffee making facility.
There was a supposedly 'complimentary' wireless internet access. Apparently when there are 40 people on line, it does not connect! It took me a precious hour of waiting and calling the front desk to get connected. Finally they got me the IT man who very courteously connected me. Be careful to ask for a room facing the glorious golf course, otherwise you will end up facing the street in front of the hotel.
There is a swimming pool that is a nice addition after the 10-hour flight from Heathrow. Food was subsidised for me and I had dinner and breakfast at the hotel. Dinner was reasonable, however breakfast was fit for a king! Check out was a breeze and the hotel shuttle bus took me to the airport to fly to my destination, Grand Cayman..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

First shuttle bus whizzed by me - it looked full. After another :15 the second bus actually stopped. The driver got out and said he was full, that I'd have to wait for the next bus (with no assurance IT wouldn't be full). Made my way through the cesspool that is the Miami airport and found the taxi line. After quite a wait in the oppressive heat I got a cab - $13 ride.

At hotel. This should be good. So I give my information and confirm my preferences for quiet location and all that goes with that. I said "is it a Pure room"? It wasn't, even though my reservation clearly states that. I ask for a refund of the cab fare. They were about to deny it (because the driver hadn't filled out the receipt) and then Stanley appears. Stanley was doggedly determined to save the day but I had been pushed too far and was ready to leave the property and go to another. Despite my protests about not wanting something for nothing, he put me on the club level and offered me breakfast. I said "I have two full American breakfasts on my reservation." Alas, like my Pure room confirmation (I had the paperwork, from the booking I had made on Starwood.com), their records didn't reflect this either.

Stanley persevered, showing me the hotel amenities and graciously taking my luggage to the room. He saved the moment and did so with total professionalism, a dose of empathy, and a great sense of humor.

So while I wish I could give the property a four rating, here's why it's a three - the room is quite pleasant, but the a/c is a little weak for such a hot climate. I have been in on airports hotels with better soundproofed windows, but these are just good. I had trouble getting connected to the wireless internet - when I tried to call downstairs, using the "guest services" button on the phone, the dialing is by pulse (vs by tone) then goes to a fast busy. I had to resort to calling "0". And I am set up at the desk looking for a place to plug in my laptop. Nada. I love the belt line outlets offered by so many properties.

While I often stay at Starwood properties, it's been quite a while since I stayed at a Sheraton. I don't know if it's the locale, the generation, or the brand, but this experience didn't stand up for an intrepid business traveler.

So to be fair, the hotel is solidly good, but Stanley does deserve FIVE STARS for his awesome handling of a frustrating situation. Commendable and a level of service that we wish was the norm, but simply isn't anymore. Bravo.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We have stayed several times at the Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel as a stopover (from California) before flying to a Caribbean island and have always had a most wonderful stay.

The Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel is the perfect place to stay prior to air travel as it’s a 10-minute ride to/from the airport (being the closest hotel to the airport), has efficient shuttle service, a friendly staff and comfortable rooms.

The rooms are a good size, very clean with very comfortable beds and bedding. Among other things, I was impressed with the free bottles of water that are provided in the room. The bathroom amenities include most anything you’d need for an overnight stay and the front desk provides other essentials if needed. You can get room service if you’d like your breakfast to arrive as you’re getting ready for the day.

You can print boarding passes and check real-time flight status, although sometimes the computers are occupied and sometimes the printer isn’t responding. There is a business center on the second floor if there’s a problem at the computers in the lobby.

The staff is very friendly and unhesitatingly offers help when you have a need. We have not eaten in the restaurant, mainly because we usually arrive past dinner-time and instead we grab a light meal in the Vin Fiz Lounge. The quesadillas here are very good and there are other tasty options on the bar menu. We have been fortunate to be waited on by Yury Fernandez who was tending bar during most of our visits. We appreciate his kind and efficient service with both food and beverages and almost feel like he’s an ‘old friend’ now when we arrive. Jury is a very considerate man and is an asset to the hotel. During our last stay, we also met Diego A Comesana, who is the Food and Beverage Manager. He too was very nice and shared a genuine interest in making sure that guests were accommodated.

The Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel now feels like a ‘home away from home’. We wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it as a place to stay during your stopover before heading to the airport. You will feel well rested, refreshed and ready to go after staying here! We’ll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Maegenwil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

A typical Sheraton Hotel, nice reception hall, clean rooms, good fitness area, good food in the restaurant. Pool has sun from morning till eveining and it's 24 hours accesible.
Friendly staff and a good overall impression. This hotel is good not only for an overnight stay if you land in Miami. Good connections to nearby local attractions (Everglades)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

This was a stopover at the start of vacation, as I was waiting for my wife to arrive in town. The hotel is OK - the only reason I stayed here was because of the proximity to the airport, it was a Starwood property, and the pool looked decent. I got a very good deal, so I think it was decent for the price.

My room was somewhat dated - a good size, but everything could use a refresh. I ate a dinner and a lunch at the restaurant - the food was OK, nothing spectacular. Other guests seemed to be doing a conference or a stopover like I was.

The service was pretty good - had some good help getting over to a nearby restaurant to watch a basketball game (odd that I couldn't watch it at the hotel...) - and the food at the restaurant ended up being good too. The locals are friendly and happy hour was very fun. The second day, after looking at the golf course, I decided to head down for a round.

Got a great deal on the golf - rentals, plus cart, for about $60 or something like that. It was twilight pricing, but I easily got a round of 18 in. The course is called Melreese Country Club or International Links Miami - and has the distinction of being the first course Tiger Woods played as a Pro, I think. I was paired up with a gentleman in his fifties and his son-in-law - very friendly. The fairways and greens were in good condition - rental clubs were decent (Tayler made Burner irons and woods). The course was not as challenging as I thought it would be - I hit in the 90s, which reflects that it played pretty easy for a mediocre golfer (high handicapper).

So - if you're in the area, and not inspired to work - go hit a round. Twilight rate was a good deal, but their visitor rate is not very good for a regular round.

Overall, an OK stay - hotel could use some upgrades, but proximity to golf and airport are positives. Pool looked nice too, although I didn't take a dip myself.

Room Tip: Join the Starwood Points program
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

found the staff very accommodating and helpful. Was offered a room with a view of the gold course and the porter, Julio Rodriguez, was courteous and helpful when I explained I was missing some toiletries.

Rooms are well appointed and comfortable.

will definitely return.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Nassau
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

stayed at this hotel which was formally the Wyndham, now called Sheraton.
However parking charges stay the same and very costly. each time you leave the garage
and park again is more money. Hotel best for people with no car.
beware of local call charges even though 786 is a shared local call with 305 area codes.
I was stilled charged as long distance.
otherwise great staff. beautifully kept rooms, modern styling and free business center and free shuttles.'
would stay again, without a rental car.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!