“Needs improvement but decent quality” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 NW 72nd Avenue, Miami, FL 33126 (Formerly Miami Mart Airport Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 20%!
Ranked #54 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Dallas, Texas
“Needs improvement but decent quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business while in Miami. Here are my overall opinions:

1. They have a paid parking area however on two seperate nights the gate was wide open and had no attendant. I suppose sometimes they charge and sometimes they don't.
2. The bar area was very lively but the service was lacking. Orders were brought out very slowly and mixed up on several occasions
3. The front desk needs better training. Was told there were no rooms available upon checkin only 15 minutes later told the first person was confused.
4. The rooms were very clean and overall nice. Nothing spectacular. Did not like the toilet and bathroom door on top of each other. Very bad positioning

• Stayed February 2013
tony f, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
First I should like to apologize for any inconvenience experienced during the course of your stay. Our goal at the Doubletree is to not only meet but exceed our guest’s expectations. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you while in town for your business travels. While we strive to offer guests the best experience and pride ourselves in our competent staff, we know there is always room for improvement. Your feedback lets us know we need to focus our efforts on consistency in all areas of our operation. I have specifically addressed your concerns with our front office and foodservice outlet team members. We hope that you will return to our hotel when your travels bring you back to the Miami area. We look forward to serving you then –
Regards,
Tony Ferrara
General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Turkish first
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay hear. We found the rooms spacious. The Hotel has a nice outdoor pool with lounge chairs. It's close to the Airport and offers a free shuttle service. There are stores right at this hotel. There also is a shuttle service to Dolphin Mall for a $10.00 roundtrip per person fee. Most important it's clean and well kept. My only complaint is that I used the business centre and the computer had a virus and I had someone get into my yahoo account and steal my identity.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is a conveniently located hotel which suffers from service lapses which hold the hotel back from being a really good hotel.

Pros: close to airport, rooms are clean and relatively up to date, decent buffet breakfast starting at 6AM and friendly breakfast staff, a front desk manager (Emile) who tries hard, free night only 30,000 HHonors points, free internet

Cons: airport shuttle service is somewhat unreliable, indifferent/misinformed Hilton HHonors check-in staff, no Doubletree cookie :(

We booked an award night during the week (and requested a quiet room on a high floor) and called the hotel after we arrived at MIA to confirm whether the airport shuttle had left the hotel (it runs every half hour from the hotel). Unfortunately for us, it took almost an hour for the shuttle (which had the words "Doubletree" in somewhat small font) to arrive despite the hotel front desk manager assuring us that the shuttle was "on its way and would arrive in 7 minutes" - while it was raining, it took the van driver only about 10 minutes to make it back to the hotel, so who knows what happened to the shuttle between the hotel and the airport. On the other hand, the shuttle to the airport in the morning left on time and took less than 10 minutes (in dry weather) to get to MIA airport.

I should add that our request for a quiet room on a high floor was honored and that Emile (front desk manager) tried to remedy the shuttle issue by comping the decent buffet breakfast, which was a nice gesture. However, when I asked the front desk staff where breakfast was served, I was directed to the wrong restaurant (Impressions) instead of the correct one (Rioja Grill). Also, I requested (as a Hilton HHonors member) a room upgrade but was told by the woman at the HHonors check-in that it was unavailable, and was not offered the Doubletree cookie at check-in nor was provided an explanation as to why no cookie was forthcoming. Also, while there is a business center and a dedicated station for printing boarding passes on the ground floor, the station was out of commission and all of the business center computers were *really* slow - time to upgrade those systems!

The shuttle mishap, muddled service by the front desk, missing cookie, misdirection for the breakfast buffet, non-functioning boarding pass station, and slow business center computers are small details but these add up.

I would consider staying at the Doubletree if I could get an assurance from Emile that the shuttle and other service issues are addressed.

Room Tip: Join Hilton HHonors and request a room upgrade at check-in
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

i stayed here for a party was happy with the service that was provided. i asked for towels and they were broght to me with in 5 mins. the room was clean and the people were very nice. im from miami so i dont know the service for the shuttles. and the only negative about staying here is that they charge you 7$ to park which i dont understand why i should pay for parking when im already paying about 180 a night to stay at the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The fast internet connection allowed me to Facetime (video chat) with my wife and kids. When you are on the road alot this is the only feature that matters to me. The ambiance and decore in the lobby was an instant indicator that my stay was going to be good. The quality of the room made me wish that I brought my wife on this trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
bentonville AR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

After landing in Miami I called the hotel to see if they had a shuttle, this seems an easy thin but wasn't. Phone rang for nearly 2 minutes before answered then placed immediately on hold. Yes we have a shuttle - go out and await. Well I waited, Sheraton, Hilton, Marriott, and even Best Western all came and went once, twice and three times. Finally an innocuous white van appeared and low and behold there was taped on the side "Doubletree" . Driver helped with bags - glad he did as the back of the van was filthy. As we went around more terminals the van filled up - with so long between shuttles not surprising. Many of the individuals that joined the van were holding airline vouchers due to missed flights.

Got to reception and as my bag was first on it was last off - join the line to check in - another 20 minutes. Got to the room and it had a connecting door - specifically requested no connecting door on reservation, after researching they found me a room with no connector but no king bed. Fine just get me a room.

Following morning I had breakfast and I have to say it was good - decent selection and some nice a la carte options. Went back up to my room and a guy that was on a voucher and I had sat next to in the van was coming out of his room - said hi and chatted for a minute. As he was coming out I could see he had a king room with no connecting door. That voucher probably got the hotel $75 at best. I paid $135 and am a Diamond member with Hilton. Needless to say I won't be staying there again anytime soon.

Room Tip: Get a canceled flight voucher
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
tony f, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
First I should like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during the course of you stay at the Doubletree MACC. We understand that the little things mean everything and I apologize for the inconsistent service you received while staying with us. Our dedicated team works really hard to ensure we're meeting all guests' needs and we will review your comments with each of the departments mentioned in your review, to ensure that our missteps during your stay, do not continue in the future. We value your loyalty as a rewards diamond member and appreciate your business. We only hope we'll have another opportunity to serve you. in the event that I may be of future service please contact me at 305-260-8912 or via TFerrara@DoubletreeMACC.com

Kind regards,
Tony Ferrara
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here multiple times as it is a perfect location. It is a good, but it seems that things are generally just a little off. The small items that are missed and average service keep it from being a good hotel. For the best service, with a friendly smiling staff, try the bar for drinks or food.

People from outside the hotel, roaming the halls, pushing pizza menus and flyers under your door are particularly bothersome.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business