“wonderful place to stay (pre-cruise stay)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 NW 72nd Avenue, Miami, FL 33126 (Formerly Miami Mart Airport Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 20%!
Ranked #52 of 131 hotels in Miami
Edmonton, Canada
“wonderful place to stay (pre-cruise stay)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed first on February 15th-16th 2013 for a one night stay before going on a cruise from the port of miami the next morning. The room was nice, dinner was very good at the rioja grille, and I had at pleasant stay that time, although I did not get to enjoy the hotel much, with our flight coming in late; however I must add that shuttle service from and to the airport was speedy and quick, a bonus. There is the check in desk straight ahead when you walk in, and check in goes smoothly and quickly, then to your right is a run down shopping centre mostly for womens clothing and jewelry. To your left is the bar along with two restaurants, the rioja grille (where I ate) and Impressions (which I did not eat at as it seemed never to be open). Elevators are right beside the restaurants and check in and there are 12 levels to the hotel. The first stay I stayed on level 7, and the room, which was a Junior Suite was spacious. The next morning, we left for the cruise, so I did not explore much of the hotel. The next stay was from February 23rd-24th 2013, and I stayed here for one night only after the cruise as my flight left at 6 am the next morning. This time, we arrived at 10 am after being transported by taxi back to the hotel, and asked if there was any rooms available although we weren't expecting so, as guests normally don't even have to check out until 11 am. There was no rooms available, so the check in desk lady told us she would call when there was a room available. We then walked through the run down shopping centre but found nothing we liked, and finally at 11:45 am, we got our Junior Suite, but this time on level 10. The room was the same along the lines of amenities, except the layout was a bit different. After settling our luggage, we went for lunch which opened at 12 pm at the rioja grille. It was a delicious lunch buffet, a good variety, costing $12 USD when there is no carving station, but $14 when there is. After lunch we went out to the outdoor pool and whirlpool, just adjacent to the restaurants. There is one nice sized pool and a nice sized whirlpool as well, along with lounging chairs for sunbathing. After swimming, we went for supper again at the rioja grille, however it is dinner by menu not buffet. Nevertheless, dinner was good, and I had another pleasant stay. The shuttle left to the airport at 4:30 am, and comes every hour. I will be looking forward to staying here again next time I come to miami, as this is the best hotel in the area that I have stayed at yet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

581 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Turkish first
The World
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I got a deal on this hotel and the lure of the warm chocolate cookies even though I can't eat them was enough to convince me over here. The first thing I noticed upon pulling up was what seemed like hundreds of parking spaces infront of the building which I assumed was necessary as this is a convention centre. However on closer inspection I realised they were all Valet. Money money money! There is a shopping centre attached to the hotel which was closed when I arrived so I did not get to explore it. Parking is not free and this was not addressed at check in. When I went back to ask about this, the desk attendant told me it would cost $7 but upon pulling up to the parking gate the sign said $5. The self park spaces are located on the side of the building. The room was large and and appeared clean. I did see Doubletree wi-fi on my wireless networks list but this was not addressed at check in either. The TV channels list was not impressive but I was using the hotel primarily for sleep so this was not a negative for me. As I took a shower in the morning before I left, I happened to look behind me as saw a clump of hair on the edge of the bathtub. Despite no real negatives during my stay, this in my opinion was a gross unnecessary oversight and marred my experience.

• Stayed February 2013
tony f, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
First, I should like to apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your stay. We also thank you for your candid feedback about your stay at our hotel. We are very sorry that we did not meet expectations and we’re actively working with our housekeeping team to focus on cleanliness and comfort throughout our property. We have noted the condition of your bathroom was substandard and appropriately reviewed your correspondence with the housekeeping team.
Regarding the parking - the rate for overnight self-parking is $7 and Valet $12, both rates are the lowest of any of the full service hotels in the airport area. The $5 rate you noted was the Day shopper rate for the Plaza Shops and the Miami International Merchandise Mart which are attached to the hotel. We at the Doubletree strive to not only meet but exceed your expectations and in this case we certainly did not meet our goal. Again , we would also like to apologize for the any inconvenience. Thank you again, and we hope you’ll stay with us the next time your travels bring you back to the area. -If I may be of further service please do not hesitate to contact me at TFerrara@doubletreemacc.com

Regards
Tony Ferrara
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not worth what I paid for it. I had to book it last minute because I realised just in time I had booked a hotel in the wrong city so this was one of the few hotels left that were "cheaper" but seemed like a quality hotel.
Firstly, let me say the service was great. The guy at check in was lovely and he even changed my double to a king at no cost because he thought it would be nice and believe me, it was extremely appreciated after a 9 hour flight. I also got a free (yummy) cookie as a welcome. So service is not an issue.

The rooms are average. The bed is very comfy and afforded me an excellent and instant sleep but there is NO airconditoning! The cleanliness was also questionable - I found a previous guest's clipped fingernail and there was a bit of grime along the bathroom sink. The powerpoints need changing - pushing a plug in is a bit questionable as they look about to break and they bend when you do that!

Value is poor. $200 a night with NO breakfast included? Come on!

Good points; the service, the free WiFi, the comfortable bed, the proximity to the airport. But given these things should be standard, that doesn't save it from getting an only average score and if I ever I return to Miami, I'm unlikely to choose this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Outstanding Service for Veterans / Military, Clean and Superb. we stayed as couple celebrating St Valentine all was excellent. Used the Valet parking and the "sabroso" delicious breakfast. Had a nice time.
The Lobby express check out was quick just returned the key and that's it

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had a late flight arrival, but the hotel still sent a shuttle to pick us up even after midnight! The cookies were warm on check in and check in itself took very little time which was good as we were exhausted! My wife kept commenting on how nice the hotel and the room itself smelled. Very well appointed and the room was very spacious and comfortable. DoubleTree is always my go to hotel. Had a breakfast buffet that was excellent even if it was a little more expensive than if we left the hotel, but can you put a price on convieniance?

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed here for one night, Jan. 12-13, 2013. At the airport we didn't have to wait long for a shuttle, it was there shortly after we came outside. The driver was very courteous as were all the staff we met. We got suggestions for dinner from the concierge and because the shuttle was busy, he came and personally picked us up when we were ready to come back to the hotel. Thanks, Raoul! The beds were comfy and the pool area was spotless and lovely. The following morning we took a $10 shuttle to the port and were there in plenty of time and boarded quickly. Next time we will come one day earlier to explore the Miami area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed in this hotel 2/8/13. The hotel is close to Miami International Airport and probably 20 mins from the Port of Miami. We checked in around 8 PM. Had a burger and beer at the hotel bar. Got up in the AM, had the buffet breakfast and were on the cruise port shuttle ($10) by 11 AM the next day.

It's a nice, neat, clean hotel that gets a lot of traffic everyday due to its proximity to Mia International. If I were to do it gain, I think I'd take a direct flight into FLL. There are a ton of hotels near that airport and it is very close to Port Everglades and a $20 shuttle ride to the Port of Miami