“Paid extra and felt ripped off” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 NW 72nd Avenue, Miami, FL 33126 (Formerly Miami Mart Airport Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 20%!
Ranked #50 of 130 hotels in Miami
Miami
“Paid extra and felt ripped off”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

In general, this is a nice hotel... but it needs some maintenance. Shower grab bar was loose and this is a safety issue. In addition, we paid extra to be on the Executive floor because we understood that it had a lounge with breakfast provided, afternoon snacks, and coffee. We also liked the larger room with ottoman / chair. However, when we checked in on Friday afternoon, nothing in lounge. Also no ottoman in room, and they never corrected this. On Sat am, went to lounge and found it empty. Called front desk and found out that they don't provide this amenity on the weekends! (My stay was Friday evening through Sunday.) I could have paid less for a regular room and not wasted money on an Executive floor that was missing furniture. We felt ripped off, (We did get a voucher for breakfast, however)

Room Tip: Be sure to verify all aspects of special offers

684 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Turkish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

After the Shambles that is immigration at Miami airport - over two hours to get through border security and customs with people treating the latter as a free for all eventually got the hotel shuttle. Hotel was inundated I guess as a backlog caused by Isaac, bur the guy at reception was the epitomy of grace under pressure, as was the guy running the lobby bar. Prices seemed to be reasonable for an airport hotel, room was spacious and clean breakfast was fine. Would consider staying here again probably under less trying conditions.

Room Tip: It's an airport hotel so probably not to high on your agenda is the view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Millersburg, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Although we got the rooms on Priceline for fairly cheap the hotel itself definitely comes with some disadvantages. It's far away from the heart of Miami, the service could definitely improve, and it has a fairly isolated location from shopping centers and restaurants..however, overall we were happy with the place!

• Stayed July 2012
Marion,MA,USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Attended a conventuion and the group rate very good. The location is convenient. The bad news is that the room needs attention. The carpet was stained, tv didn't work, bathroom had a light bulb out, and the security lock was pulled out of the door. The worse was the bed cover had stains. The good news is that someone came quickly to repair the tv and replace the light bulb. At checkout the front desk person took off a 1/2 night of the 2 nights off the bill. Had one dinner which was quite good and nicely presented for hotel food. Slow service and had trouble getting a refill of water. The convention center was a lenghty walk from the lobby. If a guest has walking problems it would be a problem.

Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed at the hotel recently for a convention. It is in need of an updating, in a poor location and generally leaves a lot to be desired. The room was ok, nicely appointed but not quite clean. It's fine for a one night stay before a flight and that's about it. I had one meal in the lobby bar--average food and terrible service. The convention center is dirty, a confusing maze of empty rooms and quite a far walk from the hotel. This place has seen better days, that's for sure. I can't imagine going back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mcalibo, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with the cleanliness of your guest room. We try to be very vigilant in this area because we know how important it is for our guests. Based upon your review, we are actively working with our housekeeping staff so this situation doesn’t happen again. Also, we would like for you to know that we have addressed our dining staff in regards to the level of service you received. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the area you’ll consider staying with us again.

Mark Calibo
Director of Sales and Marketing
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel couple of times in the past, and my experience with it so far has always been satisfactory as in my opinion it’s one of the convenient hotels to stay in around Miami International Airport.

Having some personal business to take care of in Miami for a couple of days, I decided to stay around the airport for an easy way out by the time I was done. I looked for a hotel around MIA and DoubleTree came up with a very interesting rate, so I booked it a room right away.
One of the particularities of this hotel is their welcome cookies that every guest gets at the time of check-in, and there is no way to resist to those cookies, as they come warm and delicious.
With a friendly staff at the front desk, my check-in process was completed in no time, I got my keys and my cookie, and before I know it, I was in my room.

Rooms in this hotel are very spacious, it’s hard not to say “wow” once you get into your room. I haven’t seen all rooms, but from all 5+ times I have stayed in this hotel, I have never gotten a small room, regardless of the rate I paid. In each room, there is a tea, coffee and coffee maker that you can use to have with your welcome cookie…at least, that’s what I did! You also have conveniently a safe in the room, an iron and an ironing table, and a nice and cute wardrobe. The bed, as usual, is huge and very comfortable. The bathroom was clean, spacious with all the usual amenities.

The hotel has a shuttle bus, but I didn’t use it as I rented a car. Parking and Internet access are not free. I paid 7$ a day for parking, but I can’t the rate remember for Internet access.
The hotel has a nice restaurant that provides decent food from morning to evening. It is also attached to a shopping mall, and there are a lot restaurants and fast food restaurants around should one want to eat outside.

Overall, this hotel is among one the hotels around MIA where I wouldn’t hesitate staying should I have the opportunity, as I value the quality of service provided and the kindness/friendliness of the staff.

Room Tip: Do not miss out the welcome cookies!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Teresina , PI BRASIL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Hello ,

I would like to register my notes regarding the terrible room service offered in this hotel and Rioja restaurant. I am sure other guests should complain about the same issues.

I've been in so many hotels around the world and i am impressed that a 'famous hotel' like this has so poor staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mcalibo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry that you did not have an enjoyable experience with our room service dining. At our property, we want to serve fresh, tasty dishes with the caring touches of home. We work continually to improve our menu offerings, and your comments will help us improve. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me directly. We hope you’ll stay with us the next time you’re in the area and let us know how we’re doing.

Sincerely