“Excellent rooms, service and food a bit short of expectations” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Rates from $189 Now!
Ranked #42 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Cypress, Texas
“Excellent rooms, service and food a bit short of expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hilton Miami Airport, my second stay in approximately twelve months. There is a lot to like about this hotel, but there were several aspects of my stay this time that fell short of my expectations.

As a Diamond member of Hilton Honors, I was upgraded to a Suite (room 850) and that is a very nice suite. Spacious, comfortable, bright and airy, with an outdoor balcony. The only negative observations are 1) when I entered the room at night, and turned on the light switch, no light turned on. Part of the housekeeping routine after a guest checkout should be to ensure lights are set to turn on when the switch is activated. Had this same problem going into the bedroom from the suite living area. 2) The shower is wonderful, but it would be nice if the shower head could be directed in different angles and the water pressure regulated.

I had both lunch and breakfast at the lobby Cove restaurant. It seemed understaffed both times. At lunch, I was past the peak crunch, so the staffing level was not much of an issue. However, there was way too much dressing put on my Caesar Salad, and I finally gave up and stopped eating it. For breakfast the next day, I arrived at approximately 8:15 am, and it was quite busy. It took about seven minutes to make eye contact with someone to ask for water - apparently there is a place to get it self serve, but I did not see where that was. I had a coupon for the buffet, and the waitress did take it, but I left without receiving a bill. Again, very short staffed.

The grounds are beautiful. There is a 1/2 mile jogging trail, a nice pool area, a nice poolside bar, and a nice walk out to a gazebo in the lagoon. However, certain areas along the jogging trail appeared overdue for the grass to be mowed and bushes to be pruned back. Additionally, the building facade itself appeared in need of power washing / sand blasting. Finally, apparently the hotel practice for broken shuttle vans, spare parts in room renovations, etc are to "hide" them in remote corners of the parking lot. This does get them out of line of sight for most guests, but not users of the jogging trail.

Besides the short handed restaurant service, when I went outside to get a taxi in the evening, there was no bell staff to assist. The next day when I went to get the shuttle to the airport, the bellman was present on and off. Seemed overall a bit more "self serve" than one would expect for a hotel of this stature.

The hotel shuttle runs every 15 minutes to the airport. Somehow, I ended up waiting the full 15 minutes (plus) both arriving and departing.

For the quality of the rooms, the rates I have been able to receive for both stays and the ease of access to the airport, and the presence of the jogging trail, I would likely stay here again when in the Miami area. However, if I had the same service / food experience next time, I would likely start looking for different options.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
South Shields, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel on numerous occassions and I have written a good review regarding this hotel previously however this stay was a little disappointing purely because of the food. It isn't great. 'Chef Bret's hamburger sliders are awful, not cooked well and tasteless. The sandwich my husband and i had by the pool (turkey, brei etc) was appalling. We were informed that the sandwich was pre-made, what a disaster. I hope the hotel try and improve its food as it has made us re-think about staying again and that is a shame as this hotel has great rooms but could do so much better if the food was improved. If you are staying a couple of nights and just want to relax before your flight back home a good meal makes all the difference. Fresh is best.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilton M, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hilton Miami Airport, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear “Jan A”:
Thank you for selecting the Hilton Miami Airport for your recent stay and taking time to share your feedback with us via Trip Advisor! It is only through valuable customer feedback that we can improve our services. We extend our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience during your stay. We will be sure to share your dining experiences with our Food and Beverage Department. Our team works hard to ensure that you and all our guests receive outstanding service. We know you have a variety of hotels to choose from, we are honored that you chose Hilton Miami Airport again! We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future!
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

It could be that it was one in the lifetime experience, but I suspect that whoever gets room 436 might share it, so beware:

You do expect from an airport hotel some noise from the aircraft taking off/landing. But it turned out that it was not the aircraft that was producing most outrageous noise, but the plumbing system which somehow avoided being upgraded. I am not a light sleeper but at 2 am we literally jumped off the bed woken up by a loud noise. I don't mean the sound of someone flushing the toilet one story above, but a very loud noise resembling a powerful pump at high revs or some similar device. I dressed up and went outside the room but could not locate the source of the sound; it was the loudest in the bathroom. The noise persisted for at least 30 minutes; I was about to call the front office but the sound stopped. From then until the morning it was a cat and mouse game: whenever we managed to doze off, the sound was intermittently coming back. Additionally, the sink was gurgling and producing other strange sound effects. Needless to say, we did not get much sleep until we checked out.

I am puzzled to this hour. I would not be surprised by this kind of sound effects from The Bates Motel in "Psycho" but from Hilton?

jrk

Room Tip: Anything but room 436.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “jrk001”:
Thank you for selecting the Hilton Miami Airport for your recent stay and taking time to share your feedback with us via Trip Advisor! On behalf of the entire staff at the Hilton Miami Airport, we extend our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience with your accommodations during your stay. I have shared your comment with our staff and management team. Our team works hard to ensure that you and all our guests receive outstanding service. Thank you for selecting the Hilton Miami Airport! Again, we apologize for the noise and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future!
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

First the good things. A very nice hotel hall, nice and modernly furnished rooms and good breakfast buffet with nice waiters. Furthermore, I think the value for money is quite good.
The downside is bit related to luggage service and valet parking - one usually needed to look for the staff. Furthermore, the people at the front desk forgot to unlock the key, although I had reminded them 3 times about our (paid) late checkout. The biggest disappointment though was the maintenance of the pool and the pool area. I think it would be worthwhile to have a person keeping the pool and its area clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear “cosmopolitan165”:
Thank you for selecting the Hilton Miami Airport for your recent stay and taking time to share your feedback with us via Trip Advisor! We are pleased to hear you were satisfied with your accommodations. On behalf of the entire staff at the Hilton Miami Airport, we extend our sincerest apologies for all inconvenience during your stay. I have shared your comments regarding your Front Desk experience and pool experience with our staff and management team. It is only through valuable customer feedback that we can improve our services. We know you have a variety of hotels to choose from, we are honored that you chose Hilton Miami Airport! We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Jodi at check in was exceptional with her friendliness and genuine concern to satisfy me as a weary traveler. Room was perfect. Comfortable bed and spacious desk. All fixtures were immaculate especially the bathroom. Nice view from the balcony. Breakfast restaurant food and service was excellent. I enjoyed my short stay and will make Hilton Miami Airport my first choice for hotels in Miami in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear “Richard S”:
Thank you for selecting the Hilton Miami Airport for your recent stay and taking time to share your feedback with us via Trip Advisor! We are pleased to hear you were satisfied with your accommodations and your overall experience. We also appreciate your positive feedback regarding our staff, we assure you our professional and friendly staff is committed to ensuring your stay is both comfortable and enjoyable. Thank you for your comment regarding your dining experience; it is only through customer feedback we can improve our services. We know you have a variety of hotels to choose from, we are honored that you have selected Hilton Miami Airport and will continue to do so! We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

What a great stay we had.! It was a shame we only stayed one night.
The hotel does not look like an airport hotel at all. Is nicely decorated, the rooms fully refurbished with a modern look, the shower is a dream and not to mention the bed. We got a gorgeous view of the bay and Miami's skyline.
The service was impeccable, from check-in, Damian welcomed us with a smile and Katia in Sales was helpful and hospitable. :-)
Breakfast was really good and the service unbelievable.! I think Juanita was her name-- really made us feel like home and took really good care of us (i was there with my husband and two kids (4 and 1 yr old).
Finally, i should add that even though is next to the airport it was not noisy at all and close to pretty much everything.!
This days, we shouldnt underestimate airport hotels .! This was a great stay- shame it was shortlived. But we will
return. .!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear “vivimarrero”:
Thank you for selecting the Hilton Miami Airport for your recent stay and taking time to share your feedback with us via Trip Advisor! We are pleased to hear you were satisfied with your accommodations and your overall experience. We also appreciate your positive feedback regarding our staff, we assure you our professional and friendly staff is committed to ensuring your stay is both comfortable and enjoyable. Thank you for your comment regarding your dining experience; it is only through customer feedback we can improve our services. We know you have a variety of hotels to choose from, we are honored that you and your family have selected Hilton Miami Airport and will continue to do so! We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future!
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I spent 19 days in Florida, and my flight back to my country was from Miami and I spent most of my trip in Orlando so I decided to go to Miami again one day before my travel date in a hotel near to the airport. Hilton Miami was the great and ideal according to my needs it is very near to the airport the I had a room with lagoon view it was wonderful, the only problem that they are understaff and they took so much time to respond to your requests.

Room Tip: This is a good choice if you need to be near to the airport
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear “kin6666”:
Thank you for selecting the Hilton Miami Airport for your recent stay and taking time to share your feedback with us via Trip Advisor! We also appreciate your feedback regarding our staff, we assure you our professional and friendly staff is committed to ensuring your stay is both comfortable and enjoyable. We will share your comment with our staff and management team. Our team works hard to ensure that you and all our guests receive outstanding service. We know you have a variety of hotels to choose from, we are honored that you chose Hilton Miami Airport again! We hope your Orlando and Miami trips were overall enjoyable! We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future!
Best Regards

Been to Hilton Miami Airport? Share your experiences!