“Wonderful Staff, But Housekeeping Could Improve” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Fall Rates from $104
Ranked #55 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Chesterfield, MO
“Wonderful Staff, But Housekeeping Could Improve”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

We had a one night post-cruise stay at the Embassy Suites Miami Airport. The staff was very accomodating finding us a room somewhat earlier than scheduled check-in. Our suite was as described; two rooms with double beds, balcony, living area, and kitchenette. Our first impression of the room was the humidity. The carpets were damp, and the room wouldn't cool properly. We attributed it to the room perhaps being open for housekeeping, but the moisture problem never resolved. Other guests remarked about the same problem. The bathroom was large and well-supplied with towels and toiletries, but was in dire need of more thorough cleaning and had maintenance issues. The toilet under the rim was caked with black stains that were obviously "organic" and not hard-water stains. The toilet seat was loose, as was the flush handle. The toilet itself made more noise than the one we had on the ship! We couldn't even flush after everyone else went to sleep for fear of waking them or the neighbors. The tub was worn with obvious mildew in the tile grout and caulking. The shower head was one of those unfortunately low-placed heads that you had to duck under while showering (I'm only 5'4".) They would be wise to change it to a hand-held model that could be mounted higher. The microwave was not working, but we were not in dire need of it. The on-site restaurant was good, but a little pricey. Room service costs were higher than at other Emabassy Suites locations we had stayed before, plus they add 20% gratuity and a $2.50 delivery charge. Tryas were not picked up promptly (our neighbor's breakfast dishes sat in the hall until 10PM.) I got a good room rate for the night, but I would definitely like to see improvements made before I stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Polish first
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

2nd half of a 4 day post cruise stay in Miami was at Embassy Suites. The first half was at Homewood Suites, Blue Lagoon, Miami. (See Homewood review)

We arrived for an early check-in on Sunday morning to be told no rooms available and an offer to hold our bags. Then suddenly, there was a room available. We could check in early even though they normally charge for early check-in, but this was waved for us. Since I assumed being a Hilton Honors would get me an early check-in I was somewhat taken aback by this statement. Maybe it's my Starwood or my Marriott membership that does this. We checked in about the same time two days prior at Homewood with nothing said about early check-in other than they did have a room available for us. None-the-less, I was glad to be checked in our room so we could head out to Aventura Mall to go shoe shopping!

My initial impression of the hotel driving in was a positive one. We signed up for $15 per night parking. There is lots of greenery and palm trees in the landscaping providing for a soothing and calming effect. The hotel is an older Embassy Suites. I have not stayed at one in a few years and could tell the age. However, it is the typical Embassy Suites with large window suites surrounding an atrium planted with an abundance of palms and other greenery, ponds with Koi fish, waterfalls, walk-ways, and plenty of tables for mingling. Our one bedroom suite was typical of the hotel chain, but after Homewood Suites with a kitchenette, I felt somewhat short changed since I was now paying for parking and a higher rate for the room. However, I was looking forward to breakfast in the morning. We unloaded, checked out the pool which was landscaped and gave a nice impression of a garden, and headed out to Aventura Mall to window shop and look at shoes.

We were back in time for the free cocktails. The two teenagers went to the computer room to do whatever they do and we headed down to the free cocktail reception in the atrium. There was a long line for two bartenders. After a 20 minute wait we each ordered two margarita's and found a table to drink and buddy talk. We went to the computer room where we were notified by hotel staff that the two teenagers (age 13 each) could not be in the computer room alone without an adult. I told him I would be on another computer and he promptly insisted that I had to be on one computer with the minor. Which meant that I couldn't do what I wanted to do. Then he said no one was waiting now and it was okay. Ummm, I wonder why he came in the first place if no one was waiting or reported the girls who had been calmly utiizing two of the four computers. Since one of the girls was doing homework on a special project due when she returned to school later in the week, I felt this was just as important. I asked the front desk if the teen could do homework and they told me yes. Though disappointed with the girls not being able to use the computer like they did at Homewood, I was pleased with that response. However, I made sure they did not go back down to play on the computer--only do homework for no more than an hour. Imagine a 13 year doing homework on their own while they are on vacation in Miami.

Later that night, we learned that we could not control the temperature. We turned it up as high as it could go (80 degrees) and it NEVER got warm. Not really warmer either. We froze all night and we are from the mid-west and used to the cold. The two double beds in the bedroom were nice and comfortable, but we were cold with the thin blankets. The girls on the sofa sleeper were apparently cold also because they called housekeepping the next evening and asked for an extra blanket which was brought to them after a slight delay and a 2nd call.

Breakfast was good--not as good as I remembered for Embassy Suites, but still good--better than Homewood Suites which also served a hot breakfast via buffet. Embassy had pancakes, french toast, sausage, bacon, cooked to order omlets, potatoes, toast, bagels, biscuits and gravy, muffins, pastries, fresh fruit, cold --cereal, soda, juices, coffee, milks, hot cereal--I think I've got most everything listed. Long line for the omlets, but it went fairly smooth considering they were cooking them to order. Actually this was the best part of the stay. Plus, I am a breakfast person. The teens preferred the breakfast here better than at Homewood Suites.

We spent the 2nd day at Bayside Marketplace and came back mid-afternoon due to an afternoon shower. The hotel was freezing even though it was afternoon in Miami! This is when the girls called for the extra blanket. We did the cocktails again--the line was shorter--we were earlier, and it was Monday, so a lot of folks must have checked out earlier.

Tuesday morning and our last day, a great breakfast again.... And time to check out. We took pictures in the atrium with Koi fish and parrots and headed out to Dolphin Mall to kill time prior to a six o'clock flight back to Kansas City via Atlanta. Express checkout was very smooth. We had prepaid for both days on line, so the only charges was $30 for 2 days parking which I left on the card. We dropped the hotel room keys in the dropbox at the front desk and departed the hotel.

Overall a good stay. Only issues were being kicked out of the computer room, no trash can in the bathroom, lines for services in the atrium, inconvenient bathroom set-up, and the hotel temperature. If breakfast is important to you, and you don't mind paying for parking, this hotel will do fine. It is clean, functional, and secure. The breakfast and cocktail reception are the highlights of the stay. These are the freebies that come with the price of the room. I recommend prepaying online if you can for convenience once you arrive.

Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

We stayed almost a week here in March after attending a conference and business meetings. The hotel gave us a very good rate. The daily breakfast and happy hour were included and super. The staff was very professional end friendly.
I will stay here next time and I would recommend this hotel to everey one.

The last time I stayed at this Embassy Suites was in July 1997. That was also a very good experience. Notting changed regarding service and quality. As good as ever. Compliments to the staff.
And I can tell them: I'll be back soon this time.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for one night prior to a cruise leaving Miami. We had to call the hotel and wait over one hour before the hotel shuttle arrived. When we complained to the manager on duty we were told that management knows there is a problem but has opted to keep staff costs down and have only person available to drive the shuttle; I was told to please complain. The suite was very nice as was the large complimentary breakfast. The property's restaurant was only OK and somewhat expensive; I would suggest you go elsewhere for a meal outside of breakfast. Lovely atrium and outdoor pool area.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
warren, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

We ended up staying in this hotel after a last minute cancellation flight to New Jersey due to a snowstorm. It was my husband and I and my two young children ages 6 and 3. We all enjoyed the stay at this hotel. Great service, spacious rooms and good housekeeping. Guests receive complimentary breakfast from 6:30 - 9:30 and free bar drinks from 5:30-7:30 along with freshly made popcorn. I would definelty stay here again if I return to Miami.

South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

We stayed here en-route to New York just after Xmas 2008. To take you through our experience:

Check-in: It was very busy, being an airport hotel, and though the staff were hectic, they were friendly and efficient. But it took a good 15 minutes to get our rooms. Next morning we took the shuttle to the airport and it was great- there were too many for the one bus, so the hotel brought out an additional minivan so everyone could get to the airport on time.

Rooms at the hotel are great- spacious, updated, 2 TVs, mini kitchen, and all situated round a central well.

In the evening there was a manager's reception where free drinks and bar snacks were served for an hour or two. Boy, is it popular!

We ate dinner at a steak- house on the premises, which was so-so. But all in all for an airport hotel it was really a cut above others I've stayed at. Price? We got a special at round $120 including breakfast- which made it a real bargain!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

I'll start off by saying that I really enjoyed this hotel. I have stayed in Miami hotels before a cruise 8 times in the last four years. This hotel has been the best by far.

We arrived at the hotel around 6pm. Check-in was quick and accurate. The front desk associate informed us that the Manager's Reception had started and that we had an hour and a half to enjoy the reception.

We went to our room after check-in. The room was very spacious, and clean. I particularly liked the fact that the sleeping area and living area were separated by a door, creating two separate rooms. The room was also equipped with a microwave, which was good for my sister because she needed to heat something up.

After unloading our bags in the room, we went down to the Manager's Reception. The bar staff was very friendly. The drink list was more than I would have expected from a free cocktail party. It was a nice break after a long day of travel. The design of the hotel has an atrium-style, open-concept dining/social area that's the height of the hotel, with water elements and tropical plants. It's very inviting.

The highlight of the stay was the breakfast. I was expecting a warm continental breakfast. However, what I got was a big buffet style breakfast with warm pancakes, fresh fruit, cereal, breakfast sides (sausage/bacon/homestyle potatoes), biscuits and gravy, juices, milk, coffee...etc., etc., etc. all served in the open atrium area. The perfect start to our morning, and COMPLIMENTARY!

At check-out, there were no surprise charges. Parking is only $11, and includes in/out privileges, which is more than reasonable for the area. There's also a free shuttle from/to the airport; however, we did not need to use it as we had a rental car.

Overall, a great start to our vacation. I will definitely be staying here again in November for my next cruise.

• Liked — Free cocktail party, huge suites, friendly staff, amazing complimentary breakfast
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Embassy Suites Miami Airport? Share your experiences!