“Close to Airport” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 110 Hotels in Miami
Dublin, Ireland
“Close to Airport”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed two nights here but one night would be preferable. I had telephoned the hotel before our visit to check that they could accommodate our request for a king smoking room and they confirmed this. I asked if they had an e-mail address that I could use to contact them but they said that they hadn't and the only way to contact them was to telephone or fax them. I find this extremely odd in this day and age.

But on check in they said that they had not got our requested room. After several discussions with reception, they gave us a room with 2 double beds smoking on the 4th floor. Apparently the 4th floor is the smoking floor.

Cons : The rooms are a bit dated and need doing up. There is no safe in the room but there are safe deposit boxes at reception - no charge - it's just very messy having to go to reception every time you want to access them and sign them in and out.

Most of the outside balconies are tiny - only room to stand never mind room for table and chairs.

We were on the 4th floor not overlookig the runways and still heard the noise from the planes. Not just that but we had very noisy people in the room next to us which kept us awake the first night after a very long flight and the next day the security people were asking us about the noise. Never heard another word about it. I would think that something should have been communicated to us - after all it deprived us of our very needed sleep.

Drinks were expensive in the bar.

Pros - Good breakfast included in the rate.

Nice pool with jacuzzi.

Airport shuttle every 30 mins. on the hour from the hotel which takes less than 5 mins. If you are going to the hotel from the airport, you just flag down the shuttle when you see it. There are lots of shuttles for the different hotels so you need to keep an eye out when you come out from departures. There is no particular place to go for the shuttle.

The hotel provides transport to restaurants, etc. within a 3 mile radius of the hotel and will pick you up for the return to the hotel when you are finished.

The Manager's Reception is a nice touch whereby from 5.30pm to 7.30pm you can avail of free drink, fresh popcorn and pretzels. The two women behind the bar must love this as every time someone went to get a drink a $1 note was handed in and believe me they stacked up in no time. But as it's a Manager's Reception, why did we not see or talk to the manager!!!!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Polish first
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We flew to Fort Lauderdale and took a taxi to Embassy Suites in Miami where we stayed the night before the cruise. If you value your safety at all, DON’T stay at this hotel. We were given a room that was ok in terms of aesthetics; however, we would have been fine with it for one night IF it had been safe. My daughter was electrically shocked by a faulty GFI outlet in the bathroom. Thank God there was no water on the floor when it happened as that could have been much worse. Thankfully, she is ok but had red streaks running up her hand and arm for an entire day. My husband went to the manager of the hotel to explain what happened, and the manager seemed to not care at all. He was very apathetic about the situation. My husband, and electrical engineer, began to explain how serious this issue could be, yet no reaction from the manager. Three maintenance people showed up to try to “fix” the outlet, but they had NO clue what they were doing. I had to take my 2 year old and push him around in a stroller inside of the hotel lobby for TWO hours while they were “figuring” it out. It was 10 PM and way past my toddler’s bedtime when they finally decided to give us another room. The next morning we received a call saying they could not accommodate us at the scheduled time for our transportation to the cruise port. We spent 45 minutes arguing with them and finally were given the shuttle at the correct time. We asked if we would receive any compensation for what we had experienced, and they said no, they could not offer us anything. They need some serious training on safety and service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ada, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Our family stayed here before and after the Disney Cruise that left out of Miami. The hotel is a short 5-7 minute free shuttle ride from the airport and offers a manager's happy hour from 5:30pm to 7:30pm with free soft drinks, wine, sangria and mixed drinks as well as veggies and dip and pretzels. The hotel offers a great breakfast with made to order omelettes, oatmeal, bacon, sausage and cereals. It was the best free hotel breakfast you will ever find. The pool area is nicely landscaped, but does have frequent jet flyovers. The workout room has nice equipment, was very clean and offered ample towels and water. The cab ride to the cruise port is about $25 and cabs seemed to be readily available. There is also a very convenient rental car service in the hotel that we took advantage of to rent a car and go see an everglades airboat and alligator tour. (about a half hour drive). We will definately stay here again next time.

Room Tip: You might request a room facing away from the airport, although our room was on the end on the airpo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

stayed here pre-cruise. will do again. at check in i had an issue with wet paint getting on my shirt. Leo (front desk clerk) went above and beyond to accommodate me. he even took my shirt and had it cleaned at his expense and send it to my home. i was duly impressed. this kind of service will make me a repeat customer.
they have a nice happy hour 5:30-7:30. better than the embassy suites in san juan. rooms were clean and nice. great service the next morning using the shuttle to the cruise terminal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chester Springs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel was nice and clean but needs an update. Pool was great but so close to airport that you couldn't hear when planes arrived or departed. They had an Easter egg hunt by the pool the day before Easter. Very nice staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dayton, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

At the end of my busines trip, I stayed here one night as I had early am flight out of MIA. I wanted to cut down the hastle of rental car return early am, so I drove to hotel first to check in and drop off luggage. Their parking situation is confusing (understatement) -- a number of gates, poorly worded signage -- cash? Cr Card? Room charge? which gate? I took my chances, and went to valet my car to save time. No valet appeared. I waited. Oh well, I bolted into hotel -- quickly checked in, dropped bags off in room and flew downstairs. At that point I got a "gentle" reprimand from the valets because I left my car -- I replied: "had you been there'.... etc. All good -- I did get car returned and took the Embassy shuttle back. The shuttle service is great -- quick (on 1/2 hour) and reliable. Ok, the room: old, tired, worn out. Beds squishy soft. But lots of electrical outlets. New TV's with Lodgenet. Easy to rent a wildly overpriced movie. Their room service is fine. Restaurant has a limited menu -- but do order their black bean soup -- uniquely divine. Finally, the hotel is almost next to the runways, but is very quiet.

Would I stay there again? Probably not til they remodel.

Room Tip: My room faced the runways, and honestly, I never heard a plane!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
South Windsor, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you’re looking for the real Embassy Suites Hotel, look elsewhere:

The Embassy Suites Hotel has a nice ambience inside, plush greenery and nice outside pool/hot tub. The hotel has history if you look at in detail based on the architecture—it’s been around. But today, it’s a staging area for pre-cruise trips with long lines (20+ min wait) at check-in depending on the time of the year and spring breaks.

This hotel is on top of airport. And, I mean on top of the airport. What ruins this hotel is the LOUD outside flights (and in the room, muffled) unless you’re into aerospace and like counting the number of planes that fly over poolside. And, I mean—every 5-7 minutes. This is the most annoying thing about this hotel; I know a few other hotels in the Miami airport area that do not have this problem: location, location and location. This one is on a full flight path! For that reason alone, go somewhere else and don’t make cell phones calls outside the hotel (you won’t hear the person half the time).

The first bank of elevators (two) you encountered after check-in is extremely slow (tip: take the 4-bank elevators on same floor in the very back). It was so bad at times; I took the stairs from the 3rd floor, my room was located on the first bank side (ick). Tip: The stairs are all concrete and not recommend if you’re barefoot. The stiar need an upgrade or something—the exit door would not open and I figure out you had to put your finger in the jam to get it open (fire marshal will not be happy). Parking, not the price, but getting in and out of the place reminds of a toll gate. Have to take a ticket on the way in and swipe on the way out with your room key. It’s another annoying thing if you’re spending 5 days like I did (what happen to a regular parking lot and staff dealing with cars)?

The staff where encountered were friendly, I had a nice dinner in the hotel and it was very good. The bar area is nothing elaborate, but again, he was friendly and a good server. They have a breakfast buffet in the morning which is pretty good (not free, paid for it upfront), I found getting to it late is picking up the scraps (so get there early). In the evening they have a happy hour for a few hours with unlimited mixed drinks, draft beer and snack food (if you paid for the breakfast buffet, this is free). Not bad at all (next day, your head may feel differently about this)

The room was very nice inside, I had two-room suite with two TV’s, and maid service was good (although, the first day they missed me).

If you could pick up this hotel and plunk on it away from the airport (or Miami beach vicinity)-- it would work a heck lot of better for me because of the aircraft fly-overs, less people (kids too) cramming into the place for cruise jumpers (as I call them) and toll parking gates have to go—use hotel valet/staff.

My advice, skip this hotel unless you get a super cheap deal (1 night only) as part of your cruise package otherwise, you may need a otolaryngology (ear doctor !).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
EmbassyMiami, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites Miami Airport, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Marlae,

Thank you for your review of the Embassy Suites Miami.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the Managers Reception, the Breakfast and our restaurant Grill 305 in addition to your suite. These are always areas where we receive very nice comments from our guests.

We do appologize that you felt the noise from the airplanes was to much. Unfortunately, this is a common complaint from most guest that stay at airport hotels.

We thank you for staying with us & we hope you consider us once again when visiting Miami.

Gus Lima
Director of Sales

Been to Embassy Suites Miami Airport? Share your experiences!