“Worst Hotel and service experience ever!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Regency Hotel Miami

Save Saved
You added Regency Hotel Miami to your Saves list
Regency Hotel Miami
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Northwest Lejeune Rd, 1000 NW 42nd Ave, Miami, FL 33126 (Formerly Airport Regency Hotel)   |
Special Offer
Car and Room Package
Ranked #40 of 129 hotels in Miami
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Worst Hotel and service experience ever!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

i had spent one night in this hotel before joining my cruise the following day.
Upon arrival there was a super long line at the front desk and there was only one employee who was doing the check in process and the fact that his English was not good made the situation even worse.

Upon check in i was told that my information was not in the system even though the booking was made months in advance prior to my arrival. After a painful 30 minutes wait i finally got my key to my room. Upon entering my room i really liked the way it was layed out and was not bad for the price that was paid, however just for future those cheap fleece blankets that you try and disguise under "Egyptian cotton" linen is tacky and you should get rid of it as it does not belong in a 4 star establishment.

Then after having lunch, which was not too bad it was followed by an awful dinner experience.
It was a buffet styled dinner with not much variety. Some dry pasta and rice, chicken and veggies were on offer and one had to pay almost $20.00 for food of such poor quality.

Then to finish my review off, i was astonished on how poor the service was in general 99% of all the staff couldn’t speak English properly and everything you wanted or needed had to be repeated several times , no attention to detail and absolutely shocking and i would never ever recommend anyone to stay at this establishment , i personally think a cardboard box with a blanket and pillow outside a gas station would fulfill your service requirements better than this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
MrSammyMiami, Public Relations Manager at Regency Hotel Miami, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I read your review and although difficult to read we appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts regarding your experience. We use all feedback as tool to educate our team whether it is positive or critical. We are addressing all of the issues you identified but I believe that I could still benefit from speaking to you directly. It would also give me a chance to apologize directly and give you an update on all of the improvements we have or are making. For example, we are looking for a go to menu during distressed passenger surges outside of offering the buffet like we did that evening. In the meantime, I am glad that you were happy with your lunch. If your travels bring you back to Miami, I would like to personally take care of your stay and to show you that we are committed to guest service.

Thank you again for the feedback and travel safe.

494 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Wahoo, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Wife and I spent our last night in Miami here, and would not return. The website said they had complimentary drinks and Hors D'oeuvres in the Regency Club on the 6th floor, where we stayed. NOT! We had to ask at the front desk, and they pointed us to the bar. After inquiring about the free drinks, we were given a little card for 2 free drinks that we had to turn in at the bar. There were NO Hors D'oeuvres. Also there were supposed to be robes in our room, but again, NOT! On the plus side, we DID get the free buffet breakfast, and the servers were very friendly and attentive. Our two servers in the morning were Digsan and Sara. Digsan was also our bartender the night before, and is a very nice guy.

Room Tip: Being right under the flight path at MIA, you would think they would add a little sound deadening ma...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mike,
Thanks so much for your review. As a result we have fixed the incorrect verbiage stated on our website about a happy hour in the private lounge. You can find the updated text here: http://www.regencyhotelmiami.com/guestrooms-and-suites.php

Although we do not have the happy hour upstairs anymore we still offer guests on the sixth floor a welcome drink as part of their stay along with a bathrobe. You should have had that in your room and I have notified housekeeping of this mistake. I am looking for where you read there would be complimentary hors d'oeuvres and have been unable to find that in our marketing. I have asked our OTA liaison to double check the verbiage there as well. I would like to hear from you if possible where it was you read this. My name is Sam and you can reach by asking for me when you contact the hotel.

We are spending a considerable amount of money to reduce the noise and received the permit today to install "sound proof" double insulated glass doors.

Mike, I would love to have you back because I know that we could really make your stay enjoyable. Please let me know the next time you are in town and I will handle your reservation personally.
Sam
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Our flight to Chicago was cancelled and so we had to stay in Miami for an extra night. the only place available was the Regency Hotel. The airline concierge said "its a nice place, just like a Hyatt". THIS WAS A BIG FAT LIE!!

When we first arrived at the hotel the lobby is quite grand and nice looking. had a very nice bar and marble floors. At check-in there was a long line so the manager came out to help the 1 person working at the front desk. this guy had no idea what he was doing and the other desk employee was able to check in 3 other groups in the same amount of time that the "manager" checked us in. Additionally, they do EVERYTHING on paper, like they did back before computers. they used one of those credit card imprint machines and photocopied our ID's. this place is in severe need of updating.

We went up to our room and as soon as we got off the elevator on our floor we were quickly able to see how old and outdated this place was. Upstairs looked nothing like the lobby, very old, outdated, dingy smelling and dusty. We went in to our room and it was just the same as the hallways. room smelled terrible and it looked very run-down. This was definitely one of those hotel rooms where you would never want to take your socks/shoes off :(

We did have one positive experience at this place. When we were returning from dinner, we went to stop at the gift shop for a couple of toiletries. i noticed that the sign on the door said "closed until 9". The young woman working the gift shop must have just been walking away for a break when she heard us. she immediatley turned around and said "oh, i will re-open the shop for you, i will just take my break a little later". I thought that this was a nice gesture and this type of work ethic should be recognized.

Don't be fooled by the online pictures, this place is a dump! Oh, and dont get me started on the Regency bus/shuttle to and from the airport, what a mess!

Room Tip: Choose the Courtyard Marriott across the street!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JoseMiguul, Front Office Manager at Regency Hotel Miami, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

We pride ourselves on providing good customer service and being a clean property and this does not correspond to your experience, for that reason we are extremely concerned about your review.

To be out in the open, you mention me in your review as having no idea of what I was doing at the time of the check in process. My responsibility is in guest satisfaction and clearly I failed that day.

I would like to explain this situation for you and other readers, we received that day approximately 200 (+) distressed passengers, which came basically in 4 large groups. The issue made national headlines and the airline contacted us for a favor. Although we are accustomed to distressed passengers, this was a very rare occasion with groups of 60+ arriving at a time.

This situation was magnified when one of my best front desk employees fell ill with a stomach virus and I was forced to send them home. That is why I was at the front desk at the time of check-in and I was not as fast as one of my agents would be in this situation.

My responsibilities include the shuttle and I was also assisting with coordinating the dinner for all of the unexpected arrivals. I am sure the shuttle situation was just magnified by the sheer volume of passengers using the service. We do use the older credit card machine when dealing with distressed passengers. We must of course take credit card information for incidentals but we charge the airline. This is meant to enhance the guest experience not reduce it.

With that said, I’m sorry you found that I was slow or looked confused, I did my best to help in a really chaotic and unexpected situation. Sometimes our best efforts are not enough.

I would like the opportunity to talk with you to further understand your stay and of your room. Every room is inspected by a supervisor and then a sample of those rooms again checked by a manager. My intention is to get a feedback that help us improve and also see if there is anything I could do to change your opinion and that could include a complementary stay with us during your next trip to Miami.
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have nothing negative to say about the hotel: hotel was clean, lobby was great, staff super friendly and great services. I remember the hallway looking a little outdated but the rooms were quite nice. The beds are one of the best beds I ever tried in a hotel. You get the best sleep after a long travel. One warning though, the plane's noise is a bit bothering.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Regency Hotel on two separate nights on layover to Belize. I booked this hotel knowing that some of the reviews were not very positive. One of the reasons I ignored the reviews was because of the pictures on their website. The Regency appeared to have a decor authentic to Miami and I liked the fact that it was close to the airport. So, I ignored the negative comments and made my reservations. I ultimately regreted that decision. The first night we stayed at the Regency was Friday, February 22nd and it was a big disappointment. As mentioned in other reviews, the best part about this hotel is its lobby. Our room, on the other hand, was not quite as nice. It looked exactly like the pictures on the website, but it was very worn and outdated, especially the bathroom. Our room also faced the restaurant across the alley and the music from the band blared until closing time. However, we did eat at this restaurant earlier in the evening and the food there was excellent! The one thing we liked about our room was the fact that we could go out on the balcony and get some fresh air. My husband and I seriously considered cancelling our room reservation for our layover back, but decided not to go through the trouble. On our return stay at the Regency on March 2nd, our room was on the other side of the hotel and was much quieter and less weathered looking. All in all, this hotel is "okay" if you are catching a flight in or out the next day. The shuttle to the airport is free and runs every 30 mins. Although we waited awhile at the airport for the shuttle to come, it was very easy to flag down and it only took a few minutes to get to the hotel. If I would have booked this hotel for a week long vacation, I would have been very disappointed. The pictures on the website make it look a lot nicer than it really is. In my opinion, this hotel is overpriced for the quality of the rooms. I don't think I would return to the Regency Hotel again. I will also be sure to take the opinions from the reviews much more seriously in the future. The biggest plus for this hotel is its close proximity to the airport.

Room Tip: Request a room looking out towards the pool because it will be quieter than a room facing out toward...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MrSammyMiami, Public Relations Manager at Regency Hotel Miami, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Ndcherman,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the location, the ease of use of our shuttle service and our lobby. Did you know we also offer shuttle service directly to the port of Miami?

We use feedback both positive and negative to make changes to the hotel. We are addressing all of the issues you identified but I believe that I could still benefit from speaking to you directly. It would also give me a chance to apologize directly and give you an update on all of the improvements we have or are making.

Thank you again for the feedback and I wish you safe travels.
Sosua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Had great lunch .....although didn't stay , I could tell that they pride themself, specially the front desk (Miguel), which was very helpful and polite enough to direct me to the restaurant.too close to airport though, but it was worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
JoseMiguul, Front Office Manager at Regency Hotel Miami, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Mr. Sosua, Thanks for your great comments.
We appreciate you taking the time to let us and the comunity of travelers know how happy you are with The Regency Hotel and our service. Please let me know the next time you stay so I can again help you out and say thank you for choosing us.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was there last month and the front desk people were amazing with me and my family. Is a very nice area and good services for the price. I didn't use the spa or any restaurant in side the Hotel, but there's plaint of places to go around there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MrSammyMiami, Public Relations Manager at Regency Hotel Miami, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Robertsoto,

As a boutique hotel we strive to create a home away from home for our guests and I am glad you found one while you are in Miami. We appreciate you taking the time to let folks know how happy you are with The Regency Hotel and our service. Please ask for me the next time you stay so I can say thank you again but this time in person.

Sam Trotter

Been to Regency Hotel Miami? Share your experiences!