“A mediocre experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay

Save Saved
You added Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 North Bayshore Drive, Miami, FL 33132-1180 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #45 of 130 hotels in Miami
Vernon Hills, Illinois
“A mediocre experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I checked into the Doubletree Biscayne Bay for a 5 night stay during a business trip. The front desk staff were courteous and nice, but the hotel was standard at best. I was originally told the hotel was oversold and that I was on a waitlist since I booked through Expedia. After a call to Expedia, in which they told me they would contact the hotel, a room became available in about 10 minutes. The standard room was a little small, but the balcony was nice. The furniture was a little worn and starting to show it's age. The bed and pillows were comfortable. I had to call twice because housekeeping did not clean my room, even though I was gone each day from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. Room service was on time, but the food was not very good, and the service did not include a glass of water or a roll with the salad. The coffee mugs provided do not fit under the coffee maker. Coffee and toiletry items were not replenished by housekeeping. The hotel takes up a few floors in the condo building, so the pool and fitness area are shared by condo residents, which made both areas quite crowded at times. There is a nice galleria attached to the hotel that has some shops and restaurants, which were quite good and reasonably priced. The hotel was in a good location right on the bay, but the hotel staff were not very helpful in providing information on restaurants, nearby attractions, or transportation options. I could hear every little thing in my room--people on their balconies, people in the hallway, planes going by, etc., which made it hard to get a good night's sleep. There was a water leak on the 7th and 8th floors which made everything a little musty. Two of the three computers in the business center were not working. I had no big problems with the hotel, but with all of the little things that went wrong, I will not stay here on my next trip to Miami.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

918 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Spent one night here prior to a cruise. Very clean. Good location. Good views of the bay from balcony. Friendly staff. Try a sandwich from the deli on first floor. If you have time before or after a cruise, the Big Bus company nearby offers 1 1/2hour tours of Miami or Miami beach

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was my second stay at the Doubletree Grand on the Bay. I love this place. Metro-mover rail and Trolly bus stops near the front door -- both free ways to get around downtown. The main desk staff was warm and welcoming on every shift. The view of the bay and the port is amazing.

TIP: ask for a room as high as possible (8-9-10) for the best view of the port and cruise ships.
TIP: pay the extra$ for the bayfront balcony room (vs. the cityview)

Our bayfront balcony room was incredibly spacious and comfortable and spotlessly clean. The room furniture is outdated but functional and clean. I love the mall on the lower level with the minimart, deli, Starbucks, and sports bar. We walked over to the connected Marriott hotel and had lunch on the waterfront -- also very good.

We arrived to the hotel very early (11am) after getting off our cruise ship ($13 taxi fare form the port). I expected our room NOT to be ready and I expected to have to wait. I didn't care because the pool area is SO fantastic. It was a beautiful, warm day and we just hung our by the pool for a few hours. The front desk staff said our room should be ready in "a couple of hours - around 1pm" But at 3PM our room was still not ready. Apparently there was a housekeeping crisis on another floor in the building which caused the delay in our room being ready. The staff appologized profusely, but I was tired and getting annoyed, thinking about how much I was paying for this room that I was only going to be in until 5am the next morning, due to an early flight. When I mentioned to the front desk staff that it really was a shame that I was paying so much to stay in my room for only 12 hours, she came up with an open room quickly. I was very happy with the room, once we were settled in. I was even more happy when the manager called my room and told me they were going to SIGNIFICANTLY discount my room charge for being so patient during their "housekeeping crisis." $$ discount always makes me happy.

Kudos: front desk staff, pool and hot tub, large clean rooms, great view, warm cookies

Downers: room not ready when promised and one homeless man begging for money at 5am when my family was getting in the taxi to leave ( I hope he enjoyed the Doubletree cookies my son gave him).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This was my third stay in the last three years. Friendly and very helpful service. We got a free room upgrade to a suite in the upper level with balcony and great view to the Biscayne Bay. The only thing to complain about is the wifi which costs $10 per day and device!

Room Tip: Rooms with Bay view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
miabs_ds, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Roger H, thank you for being a repeat guest and for your review of the hotel. Glad to hear that you were able to get an upgrade and enjoy the view of Biscayne Bay. I hope that you'll choose to stay with us again for your next visit.
Laconia, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Flew into Miami a day earlier than planned due to a storm and couldn't get into the Hilton Downtown (where our meeting was) so stayed here for one night. The Doubletree is on the bay and the Hilton is one block inland. I liked the Doubletree better. The room was comparable but the view was much nicer and the feel was more elegant and personable. Part of the buildining is the hotel and part seems to be condos. There is an adjacent mall which had five restaurants all of which seem to be associated with the Doubletree. One, Casablanca on the Bay, was right on the water with great views, outside seating and a great menu. I liked it so much I ate three meals there. The breakfast was really good and a bargain compared to most hotel breakfasts. The workout room was well equiped. There is a park next door and the walking was easy and felt safe. There was easy access to the metro mover which gave free transportation down to the river and bayfront area. You can catch a $2 bus to South Beach just half a block away. Actually I walked to the beach as the causeway goes right by the hotel. I will definitely stay here prior to our next cruise out of Miami.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Paradocs22, thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm happy that you were able to stay with us as a room wasnt available at your original hotel. Very glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself and were able to experience Casablanca's which is a great restaurant within the building. Looking foward to having you back for your next trip to Miami.
Campinas, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Good location!Great service!Located across Galleria Mall and one block from the beach having a Marina in the backside!Perfect!Stayed a week and it seemed only one day had passed,time flew.Strongly recommend to anyone visiting the region.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Marita M, thank you for staying with us and I'm glad to hear that you really enjoyed your week long stay. I hope your next visit to Miami you choose to come back.
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

To keep it short.
Friendly and perfect service.
Awesome rooms, clean and perfect equipped. Great view to the bay from our balcony. Only cons: no free wifi which should be standard at this price level. And the floors look old fashioned with dark atmosphere and deep carpets.

• Stayed March 2013
Marc K, thank you for staying with us and for your review. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your hotel room and stay with us. We're looking at new ideas on how to lighten up the hallways as I write this. Hope that you'll be able to come back and see the new product when we're done.

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay? Share your experiences!