“Beautiful room, odd building” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay

You added Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 North Bayshore Drive, Miami, FL 33132-1180 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 Credit Daily
Ranked #43 of 120 Hotels in Miami
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
“Beautiful room, odd building”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Our room was beautiful and had a great view of the bay. It was very comfortable and we enjoyed our balcony but the cooking smells coming up from the restaurant can get a little over powering. The housekeeping staff wss very nice especially Joize the supervisor. She really seems to care about the guests. The front desk staff at checkin seemed unconnected and seemed as if they could care less about us being there. Overall, this Doubletree isn't of the same quality as most of their properties. The hotel only consists of a few floors in a building of condos and businesses.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
miabs_ds, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Tlsenn, thank you for your comments and review of your stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your room but I'm sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the front desk staff service. I'll admit we are a different type of building with the condo component but again, I'm sorry for what you felt was not attentive service.

Palm City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I usually stay at a Hilton brand every at opportunity for overall good quality. I booked two rooms here (celebrating my g/f birthday weekend along with her parents who flew down from Canada). I was to pay a whopping $299.86 per night to get a "bay view" room with double wall windows/sliders for a panoramic view. When I called to get the 2nd room, they lowered the rate for both rooms to $244.79. I was assured that the room style would not change and asked yet again and was assured the room did not change (you already know where this is headed). So, when I checked in ... GUESS WHAT? Yup, it was not available and I was told they were overbooked but they UPGRADED me to a "partial bay-view" condo. WHAT????? I was done arguing and not going to make a big scene so I asked for the name of the GM (Robert Laela) and will be contacting him later today to convey my deep displeasure. I did not take their so called upgrade and stayed in the small basic bay-view room which was "ok".

The room was small but the view was nice outside on the balcony. I think they bed needed to be replaced as the center was starting to sag and not as comfortable as I would have liked. They have 5 restaurants and we tried 3 and liked them very well. Casablanca was exceptionally good and the service/bar service was excellent. Whether or not I'll go back will depend upon the response I get from the GM.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the larger rooms with the double glass wall/double balconies, like I had wanted to bu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Gwopilot, thank you for your response. I'm glad we actually got to speak about this issue that you encountered. After confirming with my front office manager after she received copies of your reservation confirmations, you were interested in booking our Grand Suites but upon further review had booked a bayview room. While both are upgraded room types, only the Grand Suite has the double balcony that you wanted to have. Sorry for the confusion but hope that your next stay with us will be error free. Safe travels in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Hotel was a good choice. Better than the 3 * than it is rated. We were there the first week-end in Jan 2013. Staff was very friendly when we checked in. Cookies were as good as usual and they also gave them to us other nights as well. It was a welcome treat when returning from dinner. Room was larger and nicer than I thought we were going to get. We had a partial waterview that looked over the Bay to Miami/South Beach. That was nice. Only downside was the sliding glass door to the "balcony". When you opened the sliding glass door, you can walk out to a shared "balcony" or walkway with the whole rest of the floor! Little scarey, at first that someone cold be walking by your door. We never saw anyone do that tho. What prevented anyone walking there was this empty planter box looking thing that also extended the length of the floor/wing. It was dirty. They really should fix that up because it would really make a difference. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
smcchick25, thank you for your review of the hotel and for staying with us. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and regarding your comments about the balcony. We have just completed a project in which the planters have been removed and dividers put up between each of the rooms. We hope that you'll come back to check them out soon!
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We booked the Doubletree Grand Hotel on Biscayne Bay for two nights before our cruise. The Doubletree is located in the area that used to be a mall complex (probably 10 years ago) and to be honest – this doesn’t come across as a safe neighborhood at all. The hotel portion of the Doubletree is just ok and the room we had overlooking the bay was on a low floor above the night club. I have seen several other posts about the volume of noise coming from the bar. IT IS TRUE! WOW I mean all evening long it is just annoying. Closing your patio door won’t cut the volume and the money you pay for the view isn’t worth it. The view was great from our balcony but to listen to a bunch of drunks yacking away will spoil your experience – you may as well go downstairs and sit in the bar because the volume level is no different.
I found our room to be dark and dirty. I do mean dark! The bathroom fixtures are outdated. Warning! Make sure you verify what you are booking at the Doubletree! There is a condo side to this property which several of my friends scored a really nice 3 bedroom, 3 bath condo while the bulk of us ended up in the cast off side of the property in dirty dinghy hotel rooms.
Overall, the whole property was just a tad depressed and walking around outside and along the waterfront isn’t safe. I was warned to not be out on the waterfront at night! However, we did find the bridge to the old mall which is now where the Hilton Miami Downtown is located. WOW! What a refreshing surprise!! The Hilton was clean and bright! The first thing I did was walk up to the front desk and asked for a room and to be transferred from the Doubletree!

Room Tip: Make sure you know which side of the property you are booking! Higher floors are in the condo side o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank BobbyD6363
Richfield, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The hotel was very nice, the staff was wonderful, and the food was pretty decent. It was very interesting the varieties of rooms this hotel had from standard doubles, to rooms with living rooms, to amazing suites with full kitchens. The location was of the hotel was very nice and the area seemed safe. The hotel is located next to a beautiful marina.
The hotel was in very good condition and clean. The only thing I was disappointed with was half of our company had to wait past 5:30 on the day of check-in to get rooms

Room Tip: Request a room facing the ocean
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
miabs_ds, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
jtdman37, thank you for your review and for your comments regarding our staff and service, I appreciate it. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hoped that your meeting was a success. I do apologize for the delay in getting all of your coworkers checked into their rooms in a timely manner. We have been extremely busy and our housekeeping team is working as fast as possible to get rooms cleaned and turned around for arriving guests. We do hope to have you back in the future.
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Having arrived here after a long flight we were shown to a dirty dingy and depressing room.
The table had cup marks all over it and the decor was very drab and dark.
Not enough light in the room and the bathroom extractor fan very noisy and bath very small.
We asked about moving but were told no other rooms were available and as we were only here for 1 night as an overnight stay pre cruise we had to endure it.
W would not have stayed in this room for any longer than this.
Even the decor in the main corridors and public areas was very drab and dingy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
sportingbabe, thank you for choosing to stay with us and I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I appreciate your comments regarding the room as we're always striving to improve our hotel and our service. We are working on an ideas on how to improve the lighting in the hallways and hotel rooms. Again, I apologize for you not being statisfied with your stay.
bolivar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This Doubletree Hotel is offered on our Royal Holiday plan. It is a really nice hotel, but I was late booking the reservation so we we had some construction outside our window. The hotel has access to a mall with a few shops and restaurants, so meals were handy. It is also close to the free elevated train, so travel is fairly easy to Miami Heat's arena, Bayside Market, and Mary Brickell Village. The trolly ride home was free, as well.

Room Tip: During 2013, try to avoid the section where workmen are redoing balconies.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
alicetope, thank you for your review of the hotel. I apologize for the work that obstructed your view from the hotel room, the work project is completed so next time you'll have an unobstructed view from your hotel room.