“Staff is wonderful, hotel needs rehabbing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay

Save Saved
You added Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 North Bayshore Drive, Miami, FL 33132-1180 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #47 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Staff is wonderful, hotel needs rehabbing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed here for a week just for fun. Customer service is excellent; the staff is very professional and eager to please. The concierge service is top-notch as well; they go out of their way to make sure you know all the options available for what you're looking for.

The hotel is a 5-minute walk from a brand new Publix grocery store, which was nice because we wanted to keep food in the room so that we didn't have to spend a lot for every meal since dining out is expensive in that part of Miami. The rooms have little refrigerators (not mini-bars, so there's more storage room) which make it possible to store fresh, healthy snacks.

There's a free trolley that covers a good part of the sightseeing district and maps are available at the concierge desk. Public transportation is cheap and easy to use for areas not covered by the free trolley. The hotel is about a 6-7 minute ride by car to South Beach or an hour to walk (South Beach looked a lot closer on the map!)

Things I wasn't real happy with: the hotel is old and although the rooms are very clean, it's badly in need of rehabbing. The windows in our room were really dirty as were the elevators. (I've become accustomed to the immaculate standards at Mexican resorts.) I've stayed at a number of Doubletree hotels elsewhere and this one needs to come up to standard with the others. Doubletree advertises the quality of the beds and usually I find this to be true, but one of the beds in our room had a mattress that was so worn that it created a cavernous ditch as soon as you put weight on it. The wallpaper is dated and our room was very dark for my taste, even in the daylight hours with the sun shining brightly outside.

There are only a handful of restaurants (most are pricey) within walking distance of the hotel. Other options are to ride the trolley to a more populated area or go to South Beach. You have to take a trolley or a car/taxi to get to retail areas that are of interest to tourists/vacationers.

Daylight savings time had ended over 3 weeks prior to our stay, but the time stamp on the TV had not been rolled back an hour and the electronic TV guide was virtually worthless because it showed selections starting an hour later than it actually was (e.g. if it's 1pm, the TV guide showed shows starting at 2pm or later). This was known to be an issue, but the response I received was that the service provider was responsible for changing the time. I escalated the issue up the chain of command and the time stamp was changed the day before we left. This issue was annoying to me because the staff knew about it but was passively waiting for the service provider to change it (when would that be? It had been almost a month since clocks were rolled back) instead of proactively contacting them to fix it.

If you want a final invoice for your stay, you have to physically go to the front desk, which is a little outdated in terms of technology available that precludes the need to do this. Upon checking out, I noticed a charge to a room for a phone call that we didn't make. The front desk person assured me the charge would be reversed. After a week and half, I noticed my credit card had still not been credited. I called again; it's been 2 weeks since I left the hotel and the charge has not yet been credited.

Would I stay here again? Probably not - I would rather stay in South Beach where there is close proximity to restaurants and shops. If the rooms were updated, allowed more sunlight and had clean windows I might reconsider.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the water and provides good sunlight.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
miabs_ds, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Barb D, thank you for your response and for choosing to stay with us. I apologize for the incovenience regarding the time stamp regarding the TV's. I'm not sure why that was taken care of earlier but again I do apologize for this. Thank you for your comments regarding the rooms, we are in the process of revitilizing our hotel rooms from top to bottom. I do hope you will give us another chance once our renovations have been made.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Central Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed here the night before a cruise to the Bahamas. It was a nice hotel, just not much in the immediate area for food/bars, except the hotel itself.

The only complaint is with the Valet stewards. They had a bad attitude, and all but demanded that we use valet for parking (which, apparently it is a valet only hotel). That is fine, but there is no need to get snappy with guests, who are JUST arriving. Bad way to start off with a guest's first impression.

After we were finally able to find a parking area where we could park ourselves (car full of expensive dive equipment, valet was not an option), the room was very nicely done, and was a great value for the price paid.

Would come back, hoping the valet staff will be nicer next time. Was a short stay, but the room was A+

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
miabs_ds, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Travelbug478, thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your review of the hotel. I've informed my GM about your experience with the valet staff. He is going to speak with the manager of the valet company. I do apologize for your experience with the staff but thank you again for your comments regarding the hotel rooms and we hope to have you back in the future.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Great property, management went out of their way to make sure the room was perfect. Housekeeping staff was great although they did clean our room pretty late in the evening. Upgraded to the 3bedroom condo with a beautiful view will defently stay here again when in Miami again!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dwoody83, thank you for your comments regarding our staff. Very happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself and were happy with the condo for your reservation. Looking forward to having you with us again.
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

What a relief after the nightmare of Miami International Airport! Check-in smooth and efficient. Bell service got my suitcase up to my room very quickly and apologised for the delay (what delay)? I'd booked a King Bed room, without realising I would actually get a large junior suite. Luxury, especially for a solo holidaymaker. Good view of marina, everything clean and functioning properly. A very comfortable bed, too.

I must mention the ladies at the concierge desk. I wanted to see wild manatees, and they came up with a number of suggestions. As it was getting late in the afternoon, I just went to the marina in the hope of seeing some, but no luck. On coming past the desk after doing some shopping and having a meal, one of the ladies called me and asked if I had seen any manatees. On my negative response, she told me about an area where I would likely have better luck. She proceeded to give me detailed instructions on getting there, and wrote it all down as well. Unfortunately my day trip the following day didn't get me back on time and I was flying out the next morning. I have kept the instructions for my next visit, as I will surely stay at this hotel again.

All in all, a wonderful experience at this hotel. Thank you to all the excellent staff concerned.

Management - if you can find out who the wonderful lady at the concierge desk is, please give her a special thank you from me and a big raise! (The evening in question was 19th November)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and marina/bay view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
greenwichsteve, thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and of course for choosing to stay with us. I'm glad to hear that your trip improved after you got to the hotel. Very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be back again.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Hotel rooms are cool and modern. I recommend the Private Condos which have expectacular views of Bizcayne Bay.

Hotel personnel are great. Just be more cautious with the cleaning of the sliding doors of the balconies. Is my only recommendation to them.

• Stayed November 2012
JimmMPR, thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your review. Glad to hear that you were able to enjoy one of our condos for your stay and hope that you will choose to stay with us again next time you're in Miami.
Waco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Staff was very nice and bed was very comfortable. There was entertainment by the pool and always something going on. Food was excellent in the Italian restaurant off the lobby as well. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Boardman, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed here for a three day seminar that was held at the hotel. Check in was smooth, room was well appointed, well maintained and comfortable.

As other reviewers have mentioned, only four floors of the building are for the hotel. The rest of the property is residential.

Wifi was free and strong and valet parking was $18 a day rather than the posted $29. Not sure if this was due to an arrangement with the seminar provider or not.

Visited one restaurant in the hotel. Typical hotel restaurant, but the bar is outstanding. The "mini-mart" on site is very convenient. They open at 7am for a steam table breakfast assortment for a little under $5. Multiple retail shops are on site as well.

Close to several restaurants of various types and a Publix grocery is only a block or so away.

If you stay here, I'd highly recommend NoVe for some really good sushi.

Staff was very friendly and welcoming.

Location about a mile from American Airlines Arena very convenient if you are in town for a concert or Miami Heat game.

Pool and hot tubs on the 10th floor have a great view of Biscayne Bay. Business center and fitness room on site serve their purposes.

There is a trolley stop right across the street if you need some free transportation to the Bayside Market and other stops. The people mover stop is about a block away.

I'm sure if you were coming to vacation in Miami, you would probably choose a hotel on South Beach, but I would certainly recommend this facility if you wanted to save some money as opposed to higher rates 5 miles away.

For the business trip I was on, it was perfect.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello mgourley, thank you for staying with us and for your review of the hotel. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to have you back with us for your next trip to Miami.

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay? Share your experiences!