“Nice Property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay

Save Saved
You added Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 North Bayshore Drive, Miami, FL 33132-1180 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #45 of 129 hotels in Miami
Waco, Texas
“Nice Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Staff was very nice and bed was very comfortable. There was entertainment by the pool and always something going on. Food was excellent in the Italian restaurant off the lobby as well. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

941 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Boardman, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed here for a three day seminar that was held at the hotel. Check in was smooth, room was well appointed, well maintained and comfortable.

As other reviewers have mentioned, only four floors of the building are for the hotel. The rest of the property is residential.

Wifi was free and strong and valet parking was $18 a day rather than the posted $29. Not sure if this was due to an arrangement with the seminar provider or not.

Visited one restaurant in the hotel. Typical hotel restaurant, but the bar is outstanding. The "mini-mart" on site is very convenient. They open at 7am for a steam table breakfast assortment for a little under $5. Multiple retail shops are on site as well.

Close to several restaurants of various types and a Publix grocery is only a block or so away.

If you stay here, I'd highly recommend NoVe for some really good sushi.

Staff was very friendly and welcoming.

Location about a mile from American Airlines Arena very convenient if you are in town for a concert or Miami Heat game.

Pool and hot tubs on the 10th floor have a great view of Biscayne Bay. Business center and fitness room on site serve their purposes.

There is a trolley stop right across the street if you need some free transportation to the Bayside Market and other stops. The people mover stop is about a block away.

I'm sure if you were coming to vacation in Miami, you would probably choose a hotel on South Beach, but I would certainly recommend this facility if you wanted to save some money as opposed to higher rates 5 miles away.

For the business trip I was on, it was perfect.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
miabs_ds, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Hello mgourley, thank you for staying with us and for your review of the hotel. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to have you back with us for your next trip to Miami.
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is in a great location, you can walk to a lot of places. The rooms are cleaned the rate was pretty decent. The staff members are friendly, the only negative to this place is the high priced valet parking. If there was self parking to this hotel it would have been even better. Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
miabs_ds, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Trupti T, thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. Thank you as well for your kind remarks about our staff and I do hope that you enjoyed your stay with us.
League City, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently visited for a medical conference and choose this hotel because it was associated with the Hilton brand and I wanted something clean and comfortable. However, I was greatly disappointed to find out that the hotel was outdated, musty and muggy. I am from Houston and am familiar with the humdity that entails; however hotels in Houston know how to cool off and dehumidify the interior of a hotel. This hotel did none of that. It also had some sort of market or so called mall attached to the hotel that was very dirty and shady to say the least. We are Hilton Grand Vacation owners and usually never have an issue with any of the Hilton family hotels that we stay at; however there is always a first.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Amy E, thank you for choosing to stay with us. I apologize for the a/c issues we were having during your stay with us. Our engineering staff works very hard to ensure the proper temperatue at all times but for some reason you had issues, so I do apologize for that. We've spoken with the owner of the market within the building and voiced concerns about the issues that you've mentioned. They promised they'll look into it.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The service at this hotel is really lacking. When we complained about our room, the manager did not respond to our requests in a professional manner and was very defensive. The basic rooms are truly basic, no balcony. It is the poor service that brings down the quality of this hotel.

Otherwise, the pool is nice and clean. There is a Publix grocery store nearby, and the rooms have mini fridges. The rooms with a balcony are much, much nicer. They are bigger and allow you to sit on a balcony. If you can, pay for an upgrade to these rooms. The restaurants onsite are good. There's an Italian restaurant with great salads.

There's a great wine bar / restaurant nearby - please see my other reviews. It was the best restaurant we went to while in Miami and it is within a 5 min walk from the hotel.

The Publix serves great cafe con lyches - it's only served to go, but it's cheap and it's really tasty.

There's a bus that takes you to Miami Beach. The bus station is a 2 min walk from the hotel, and the bus was safe, in my trip. It was about $2-3 per trip and takes you directly to the main areas.

Room Tip: if you want a room with a balcony, make sure the room description says it has a balcony!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
NancyToronto, thank you for staying with us and for reviewing the hotel. I do apologize for the issues you had during your stay with us. We're actually in the middle of a project to create more balconies for our deluxe rooms which do not have accessible balconies. We're hoping this enhanced feature will help satisfy even more of our guests who want to have a balcony in their rooms. I hope you'll be able to return in the future to experience these new features when the project is completed.
Miami, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I am not one to stay in just any hotel in fact I prefer Doubletree Hotels out of all the Hilton brands and they make more than enough money off my family as much as we travel. I love the like home atmosphere they provide. Unfortunately, this one experience with this particular hotel has left a bad taste in my mouth, to say the least.This particular visit, I was not a guest but myself and a few other individuals were VISITORS. The hotels itself is absolutely beautiful and I was extremely excited to visit and celebrate my daughter celebrate her 21st birthday quietly (the hotel didn't provide us a chance to do either) .We were ready to take her out and play a few games. First and foremost, there was no one in the lobby to direct us to the proper place to go up, apparently they were all concocting some BS story about the "noise" complaint they received. Once I found my own way to the Penthouse, I was met in the hallway by a mother who advised me that security had been to the room checking the balcony because they supposedly received a complaint of loud music being played prior to people arriving. THERE WAS NO MUSIC and it was completely quiet. No alcohol was being consumed and no outrageous behavior was displayed. This is why both my husband and I, were remaining in the room.

To make this story short, the front desk manager (Freddy), the building supervisor and the head of security (Hosea) who said nothing the entire hour and a half I was speaking to them, completely and blatantly disrespected not only me but others and lacked professionalism. As I held a respectful conversation with them to trying to find out why they really decided to come to the room, the constantly mumbled under their breath, and looked at their watches as I was speaking to them trying to respectfully resolve the situation which ended up having the authorities called. I advised them several times that although I may look like a child I am an adult and you will speak to me as such and with respect, I even had to tell Freddy that I am quite sure I am older than him, therefore, he needs to respect his elders. We requested the authorities to be called to have an unbiased part in this. While we knew the outcome would that we would be asked to leave, which would've be fine, however the moments before the authorities escorted us out definitely was uncalled for and utterly outrageous. As I was speaking to Freddy he constantly looked at his watch and I called him out on it several times, no apology only a blank simple stare. The head of security assumed that one of the guest spoke Spanish because she looked Spanish and began communicating to her in Spanish. SHE DOESN'T KNOW SPANISH! The last straw was the head of security blatantly disrespecting me sending my husband in a rage the required restraint. I respectfully asked him his name so that i can address him properly and his reply was "I gave my name to the other woman who asked." After I asked the building supervisor the 4th time, what the complaint was and who made it, he said the complaint was taken by security. At which time, I address the head of security as Mr. ...., can you please tell me who made the complaint, his reply was "Did I say there was a complaint?" At this point, their reason for harassing the room became apparent as profiling and fabricating stories to see what was going on in the room. The authorities who were present, noticed the disrespect and definitely understood the reason why things got heated. At this point, my husband who knows I am capable of handling situations such as this, came to the door and told every one to stop talking because he became disgusted with the lack of respect by "professionals" towards me and was not going to allow them to continue to disrespect his wife, especially as I remained as respectful as I could. At this point, the head of security, decided he should speak after and hour of silence, and approached me way to close for comfort and told my husband, she asked a question and i answered and he will not be told to be quiet. Needless, to say that is when my husband required restraint and left me face to face, with an individual who deserved to be put in place. Problems didn't stop there, after i told Freddy that i will not be paying for parking and neither will anyone else, we left and the valet decided he did not want to give our keys to the drivers. He also made comments in Spanish thinking that no one would understand him. Needless to say, once again due to their lack of professionalism, we again had to rectify the situation in a manner that would've been avoided altogether. I HONESTLY THOUGHT ABOUT HAVING MY WEDDING THERE, BUT THE MANNERISM OF MANAGEMENT HAS RUINED THE THOUGHT! If management acts in the manner, I'd hate to see how the employees act. I really do want to return but it definitely won't be for leisure! And I was only a visitor being treated like this.

Room Tip: We has a penthouse suite for a limited time but it was beautiful
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
To all Viewers,

I respectfully request that you disregard this review and the inappropriate statements made within. This reviewer was not a registered guest and the registered guests violated our condo agreement which explicity states guests are not to exceed maximum occupancy in the condo units as well as agreeing not to have group gatherings. Please refer to our other reviews (both positive and not so positive) for a more accurate understanding of our hotel and services.
Delray Beach, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have stayed at the Doubletree Biscayne for years, and I have even worked for Hilton at one of their Luxury Resorts. I think this hotel offers a very unique opportunity to rent your very own private condo for a short vacation stay. I find it very comfortable, and for those that can't afford to live in a multi-million dollar condo in Miami; this is a real taste of the good life. I used to go down to this hotel every couple of months for 1-2 nights at a time. At one point, this specific hotel motivated me to enroll in Hilton Honors.

With that said, I have to honestly say that this hotel as gone down hill in the past few years. I have witnessed the demise of this property visit after visit, and it's clear that there is a management issue. My first negative experience started with a weekend visit, traveling with a few friends and staying in the largest suite available with 3 bedrooms. I requested the highest floor available. Upon arrival I was given a room on the lowest floor for my room class. I was very disappointed because I was looking forward to showing off the hotel and the view to my friends. We spent Saturday night, checking out Sunday morning with a requested late 1pm checkout. After a long night enjoying the Miami nightlife, we were rudely awakened by the overbearing chime of church bells at the church located directly next to the hotel. The sound was unbelievably obnoxious, and never in my life have I seen such a disregard for the effect on local residents and guests of both the Doubletree and neighboring Marriot. I called down to the front desk and the answering clerk respond to my question saying "What noise? What church bells?". You could not have missed the sound from anywhere in the hotel. I found this even more aggravating. Just to put it into perspective, the bells started at around 6 or 7am and never stopped until we finally couldn't take it anymore and checked out. This ruined my day, and put a negative undertone to what was a wonderful weekend.

My next stay was even worse. I rented the room in January for New Years eve, checking out New Years day. I ordered a special room package that was supposed to come with chocolate and champagne. My room was booked as a 2 bedroom suite, but upon check-in I was told room types are not guaranteed. Instead I received a 1 bedroom suite with a roll-away. I split this room with my best friend, and we each brought our girlfriends down for a romantic evening. Instead my friend was forced to sleep on the sofa while his girlfriend took the cot. Not so romantic. I was furious and I was stuck paying for the whole room to be fair for what a miserable time my buddy had. We got to the room and there was no champagne or chocolates. I called downstairs and they said they ran out, and maybe I could order it from room service. I had paid an additional fee for the room to have these inclusions, and they ran out? I was not credited for these, to my knowledge. Instead we ordered champagne and the cot, which was given for no charge, from room service. Neither arrived well past 3 hours after check-in. By now the girls had gotten ready, and we were planning to go out and eat. I wanted to have a champagne toast before we all went to dinner downstairs. We waited an extra 45 minutes while room service ensured us it was on the way. It still never arrived. We went and ate dinner downstairs at the italian restaurant, and came back to the room expecting our bottle of champagne to be waiting along with our cot. Again, neither were there and it was now about 9pm. I went back to the italian restaurant and bought a bottle from them and we had that instead. They promised the cot would be delivered while we were gone, and we all left to enjoy the evening. I figured maybe at some point the champagne would show up. We went to sleep after a wonderful New Years in South Beach, and were woken up by the sound of blasting church bells once again. Yet another pleasant morning at 6-7am, after going to sleep well after mid-night due to the holiday. We received a phone call sometime around 9am asking us if we would still like the bottle of champagne. Sort of threw more salt in the wound, and really infuriated me. How could you know that you never delivered my champagne, and not let me know...keep me waiting, and then insult me the day after New Years, and us waiting all night to offer it then. Very upsetting.

It was many months before I decided to give the Doubletree Biscayne a second chance. I hoped this time things would be different, but I should have learned from the past. I brought 3 of my business colleagues to Miami to celebrate the start of our company, and the launch of our website. I booked the largest available room, which I do every time I stay here. 3 bedroom suite with an ocean view. I booked it over 14 days in advance and received an excellent discount. I stated very clearly that I wanted a room on a high floor. We got to the hotel with tons of luggage, and the bellman literally stood there. He watched us unload the luggage from the car, and never once offered to help or offer his luggage cart to assist us. Finally, my one friend approached him and convinced him to help us out. This was a bad start. We got to the desk and I asked if we were on a high floor. The Front Desk Agent told me yes, and handed us keys which showed a low floor number. I asked them to see if they could honor my request, and the insisted it was a very nice room and to check it out first and come back. We did, and when we got to the room, it was only a 2 bedroom; not a 3. This was very upsetting, having been the second time this mistake was made, and they didn't even honor the floor request so at least I had a decent view. I asked the bellman to call down to the front desk and ask for a different room to show us. I know from being in the industry, he has a master key and once we find a suitable room they can run the keys up to us. Well the front desk agent told him to bring us and all of our luggage back to the front desk. We travel all the way back down 20 some floors to the front desk where they explained this was the only room they had available and that a corporate function took up their existing rooms. So my advanced purchase room, which should have been "blocked" (as they say) in the system, was unblocked and changed to a different and smaller room type to better accommodate their corporate guests. This was very upsetting, and it was clear front the moment they mentioned their "corporate" customers what had happened. Their plan, after making all of us walk back down to the front desk, was to give us the same room we had just come from. After all that running around, I was very upset. I asked for a manager and I was told that she was off for the rest of the day, and they refused to call her. No manager on duty during 4-5pm, which is standard check-in time at almost every hotel. Not surprising that the manager was no where to be found. We were given free parking, which was a very minor courtesy for all of the issues, but be accepted it and moved onto enjoying our weekend and celebrating our business. Upon check-out the valet lost both of our cars. It took about 30 minutes before the valet came up and asked me what kind of car I had, and the same to my partner. This was unbelievable. The valet had not placed labels on any of the keys and was literally pointing to key rings on the wall for an additional 10 minutes till he finally listened to our directions and found ours. The whole ordeal took close to an hour. What a send off, after the final straw with this hotel.

I followed up from my visit and sent basically this same description to Hilton Honors, in hopes that someone at corporate would be interested enough come visit this hotel and see for themselves what a mess it had become. After writing about my girlfriend, and our romantic evening, I received a letter back from Hilton Honors addressing me as "Mrs." and "Mam". I responded back that they should have read my email before responding and they would have noticed I was not a woman, which I found offensive. I did not receive a reply.

Having worked at a Hilton Luxury Resort, a Waldorf Astoria Collection, and visit such hotels as the El San Juan...this was easily the worst collection of hotel experiences in my life. At the properties I worked at, we were very careful to avoid making mistakes because management was overseeing everything. It is clear that there is little to no management at this hotel, and the employees reflect that.

I suggest avoiding this hotel, despite the large rooms and cheap rate; it's not worth the head ache.

Room Tip: If you're still planning to stay at this hotel after reading this review, at least beg them to p...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
I spoke with my front office and condo relations manager regarding both of your stays and the incorrect room types you booked and what you were expecting. I have also been informed that Hilton Customer Service has been in contact with you about the specific room types you booked for both of your reservations. Thank you for staying with us and for your review.

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay? Share your experiences!