“The best bed ever!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bellingham, Washington
“The best bed ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

with This is not my typical stay, I would usually pick a smaller boutique hotel but priceline came up with this before leaving for a cruise. Miami can be kind of dicey on the cheaper end of hotels so I opted to bid an a 4 star or better. This place has been ideal the best bed ever, large flat screen and a deck with a view of the bay. There is a coffee/tea maker in the room but no breakfast with this price. The hotel room service menu and breakfasts were both quite high so we found plenty of options close to the hotel. The free metro can get you in to the city center and cabs are at your door. All amenities were available but the free wifi was just in the large public area. There isn't a free shuttle here, but for my priceline bid of $115 I was amazed at the value I received.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
The Hague, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

I think our stay was OK. My friend is very high tier Marriott rewards member so she used points and we stayed on the Concierge floor. The room was not very big though. You would think that an “upgraded room” would be nicer. I though the food in the concierge lounge was not very good. And they would take it away when people were still in there eating. You would think they would just leave it out longer.. all they do is throw it away anyway. The pool area was really not very impressive, and our room had no special view.

The best part was the convenience.. we were there to attend a music festival at bicentennial park, and we could easily walk there. There was also some shops and restaurants right on the property so I was able to get my nails done at a little nail salon and we visited the sports bar to watch a game.
The worst part however… when we where checking out (well besides the fact it took forever because I think they were trying to overcharge my friend or something). There was a couple next to us trying to check in early and they told them they had to charge them something like $50 (possibly more, I don’t remember) to check in early. I’ve never heard of this in my life. Every hotel where I’ve ever tried to check in early either happily allowed us to do it or told us they didn’t have a room available yet. I can’t believe this place had available rooms and were charging guests to check in early!!! It’s not like it’s a bargain hotel or anything.. the rooms are way too expensive in my opinion and you can find better elsewhere. Oh.. and we also had lots of problems with the internet.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

The hotel is located in a quiet downtown neighborhood. Location is ok but still requires transportation to go anywhere. The hotel staff was friendly and they were able to put us (2 rooms) side-by-side. We also travelled with our 2 year old son and so we got a crib at our request. No complain with its services at all.

We got 2 balcony rooms with partial view to Port of Miami . We liked the balconies because we got to enjoy the Miami sun in the morning. The room itself was spacious but no free wifi though (they have wifi in the newly renovated lobby on the other hand). The king size bed was very comfortable and they have enough pillows which is what we truly enjoyed! Oh, we also like the big flat screen TV in the rooms. :)

There were only 2 down sides staying at this hotel:
1) I thought this hotel is already located far from airport however I can still hear the air traffic noise even at midnight (and early in the morning like 6am). Maybe this is already better than all hotels around the airport but I have no comparison or previous experience here.

2) The taxi rides were just horrible. We had 6 people so they got us a van at the airport. At the end, the driver charged us $43 where I believe the ride should only be $24. And from hotel to Port of Miami , there was a driver who refused to put on his meter and requested for a flat rate of $15. We got another taxi afterward and it only cost us $10 (I gave $2 tips at the end and was very happy with the driver). These taxi rides certainly didn’t give me a good impression about Miami !

But to be fair, these are not hotel’s problem but rather general issues for staying close-by. In general, I like this hotel’s services, its rooms and the newly renovated lobby.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Northwoods, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

Our room was very disappointing from the wet spot on the carpet, toliet that didn't work, less than fresh towels in the tub area, kleenex leftovers stuffed into the new box, to the lack of heat on a cool Miami evening. Positives were the staff and the view.

Union, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

I stayed at the Miami Biscayne Bay Hotel for a nursing conference 2 weeks ago. I had never traveled to Biscayne Bay, and truly looked forward to my stay in that area. As I prepared at home for my 2 day trip, I was quite impressed when I received an email from Marriott Concierge services about 4 days before. This email provided a link to website where I was able to request complimentary amenities for my room, such as newspaper, extra pillows/towels, and even exercise equipment!!! In addition, I was able to inform the Concierge service, that my flight was landing earlier than their designated check in time. I was so excited to head down there. Boy... was I disappointed......

When I landed in Miami, I immediately called the hotel, so that they can send a shuttle to pick me up. They were very quick to say that there was no shuttle service, and offered no other options. Now, it was my mistake to assume that they had shuttles (as every other hotel does), but suggesting safe options would have been appreciated. I ended up sharing a cab with a couple of people heading to the same hotel for the same conference.

When I arrived at the hotel (10:30am), the woman at the front desk told me that there were no rooms available, and I would need to wait for a room to open up. She couldn't even give me an approximate time of when I should return. Trying to turn lemons into lemonnade, I took the opportunity to tour the neighborhood, and found that there was absolutely nothing for me to do... no stores to shop (the mall across the street was shut down), barely any restaurants, or even any scenic views. I actually had enough time to hop on the monorail (which was free.... but had no seats...), and met very "interesting" people. In the end... I waited for 4 HOURS for a room!! At this point, I was so exhausted... but I knew that I had to be at the conference, which was to start at 3pm. When I finally arrived in my room, I was not AT ALL impressed by the the horrible view of concrete, miniscule view of the Bay, and the bathroom which was so small that you couldn't turn or move without hitting your knee on the toilet!!!! If I ever go back to Miami Biscayne Bay, I will stay FAR away from the Marriott... It definitely wouldn't have been my first pick... or second!!

Kamloops
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Stayed at the Marriott before disembarking on a cruise. Hotel was great, clean, newly updated, beautiful views from the balconies and good food.

Lansing, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

We had an overnight stay prior to leaving on a Cruise. We had a room corner room overlooking the water. The room was fairly small due to the odd shape but it was big enough for what we needed. It was nice waking up in the morning and seeing our ship at the port. It's very convenient to the people mover and we used it to go to Bayside for a little shopping and dinner. There's also a shopping/restaurant area attached that would be very convenient also. There's a liquor store there for picking up last minute wine for the cruise. The lobby area was very nice with couches and tv's which were very nice for hanging out. We were with another couple so it was a great area fo relax and play cards.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay? Share your experiences!