“Nice place before a cruise.” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #34 of 131 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minnesota
“Nice place before a cruise.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I will start off by saying that I got this on Priceline for under half of what they were asking for the weekend I was there. So that colors my image a bit - all hotels were ridiculously expensive that weekend and I probably wouldn't have been happy with any for the asking rate! We stayed here for two nights before a cruise. We stayed at the Hyatt the night after the cruise and I'll write a review for that as well. (Which would I choose? They both had good and bad - I'd take whichever gave me a better deal but I thought the Hyatt had a bad pool/fitness room but a better location.)

That said, getting there was easy - about $25 cab from the airport. The room was nice - we had a small balcony that overlooked the bay and the Doubletree pool area next door. Two chairs and a small table - I doubt more than two people would be comfortable out there, though - it was tiny! The room was decent sized, had a nice closet and an OK bathroom/sink area. Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion) were by Bath and Body Works. There was not a fridge in the room. And no full-length mirror - what's with that??? It was the same at the Hyatt!

There was a small "mall" between the two hotels (Marriott and Doubletree) where you could get something to eat and there were a few shops there. The hotel lounge was nice and the service was good but of course it was very expensive as with any hotel food. (Tip - the food was the same price in the lounge as it was from room service, though you probably had to pay a delivery and/or service fee for room service. But it you really prefer room service it's probably worth it. We figured the prices would be a bit cheaper downstairs but they were not.) Tip about Miami in general that I read specifically about South Beach - some (most?) restaurants will add gratuity to the bill right away - so check that before you decide how much to tip! The lounge didn't do this but we ate at Tradewinds at Bayside and they did add 15% to the bill.

We did not use the pool but we could see it from our room and walked down there one day. It was OK but the pool at the Doubletree looked nicer. There was also a hottub and they had a ping pong table set up down there. It was a nice big area so if you wanted to just lay in the sun or shade there were plenty of areas to do so. You could also get down to the waterfront easily from the lobby area and it was nice to stroll along the sidewalk along the water - there are lots of boats at the marina right there.

The fitness room was quite good - several weight machines (sorry - don't belong to a gym so I can't say if they were diverse enough but they looked pretty new) and several treadmills, ellipticals and bikes. They all had a TV but I found the sound and TV to be hit or miss on them. One I couldn't turn the channel and another I couldn't get any sound. The other one I used had sound SOMETIMES so if being entertained while running/elliptical/biking is important, bring your I-pod - they all had a connection for that. They did have headphones available in the fitness center for the machines, which was nice. The best thing about the fitness room is that you could easily see the cruise port from the room. Nice view!

The hotel is not really near much as far as walking distance but the metromover is just at the end of the street (not even a full block) and it's free so it was very easy to get to Bayside Market where they have stores and lots of restaurants. It was a really fun place. Getting back was far more difficult for us as we kept thinking we were going the wrong way and we'd get off, examine the maps, get on the next train and find the same problem again. I'm sure someone more experienced in public transportation would fare better. (We did finally get back but we switched trains several times!) The people on the metromover were OK but I wouldn't ride it alone (as a woman) and I would either be back to the hotel before dark (the area around the hotel was OK but it wasn't super well-lit and there were few people around) or take a cab - I imagine it's not more than $10 from Bayside. We did the Island Queen boat tour at Bayside (there are lots of boat tours and I imagine they're all about the same). They leave often so you should be able to find one that suits your timeframe. Island Queen also had a lot of other tours with discounts if you paired things (i.e. boat tour and a hop-on-hop-off city tour, Everglades tour, etc.)

We took a taxi to the cruise port, which was $9.30 before tip and took only 10 minutes or so. Pretty easy. We tried to do self-checkout on the TV before we left but when I checked the bill I found that they'd charged us for one night of parking (over $20 but I don't recall how much) so we had to go to the desk to get that charge removed. They were very friendly and easy to deal with both at check in and check out.

I would definitely stay here again - if you really want to be close to action, I'd choose either something closer to Bayside or someone in South Beach but this was perfect for two nights and essentially one day in Miami before a cruise.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

1,138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed here in February. We were not at all impressed. I suppose we could have put up with the rust stains in the tub, having to pay for a refridgerator in my room and the filthy bathrooms in the lobby but I have a problem with not having a concierge. We were told that 'everyone in the lobby is a concierge.' That's just not so. Earlier in the week we had stayed at the Hollywood Beach Marriott and they had two full-time professional concierges. Not so here. The bellmen and front desk clerks did what they could but they are not professional concierges. If Marriott isn't going to provide adequate travel support then provide free access to a computer and I'll do it myself. We won't return to this hotel. We'll stay at one of the Art Deco beauties on South Beach next time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

Booked for three nights, following a cruise, based on TripAdvisor reviews. Booked a "port view" room on 15th floor. Rates appear to drop substantially when the cruise ships have left port. We paid $179 through their website. I thought cost was very reasonable for the quality, location and amenities of the hotel.

We arrived about 10:00am following disembarkation of a cruise. Fortunately, and very very unexpectedly, we were able to take occupancy of our room. The room was terrific. It appeared to have been recently and thoroughly renovated and was very clean and comfortable (the bed was supremely comfortable). Internet, about $13 / day, was very good. Gym was well equipped and clean. Breakfast was not included but was available from a menu or buffet. We ordered form the menu and found the quality excellent, realistically priced but portions a bit large for us. Service was excellent from all hotel staff that we encountered.

The location turned out to be much better than I expected. There is a bus and free People Mover station across the street. $2.00 per person will get you to South Beach (taxi back, after dinner in South Beach, was $14.00 excl tip). The PeopleMover is an excellent way to get into downtown or to connect with the light rail system that you can take to various sights.

There is an Enterprise rental car in the small mall that is attached to the hotel. Good for a one day rental for going to sights beyond the reach of public transit.

There aren't many dining choices within easy walking distance. But we found the Italian restaurant in the adjacent mall to be very good, we didn't expect much, but we had two very good dinners with good service at realistic prices.

Some have criticized the hotel as being a typical business hotel - that isn't necessarily a bad thing in my experience. . It is not a boutique hotel, but the convenience, quality and service more than make up for lack of boutique ambiance.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Waukesha, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

We requested early check-in and our room was ready when we arrived. We were upgraded to a balcony, water view room due to joining Marriott rewards. The room was very nice, the bed was awesome! The hotel was close to the Port and only took a 10 min. cab ride. We checked out via phone and the were no surprises. There is a great deli attached to the hotel with a few shops too. Overall, nice one night stay!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Windhoek, Namibia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

Miami is a fantastic place, and no hotel can spoil it. Anyway, we were satisfied with ours. It wasn't fancy, it wasn't chic, but it was just what we needed for our family vacation. Good breakfast.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

The best Flan ever....homemade every day in the litle store downstairs.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Lake George, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

There was nothing wrong with the hotel - rather typical Marriott. Rooms and overall hotel were clean. Staff was fine but very slow at check-in. Even though there were not many people in the lobby there was still a delay during check-in. The room was clean and comfortable, (another in my party had a slightly larger room with a nice view overlooking the city which was nicer than my room). The valet parking was quick to retieve the car from the hold but when I would bring the car back in to be parked I had to go looking for them to give them the keys. This hotel is a loooong two or three miles from South Beach and the drive back and forth became tedious becuase of traffic.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay? Share your experiences!