“Remodel complete, Looking great!” 4 of 5 stars

Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #19 of 113 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Remodel complete, Looking great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

Check in to check out- No problems at all. Rooms are all complete and remodeled, all construction is done. A little work being done around the pool area but that looks like they are wrapping that up in a day or so. Problems may have existed during construction but not now. Trip was business. Stay was 4 days. Walking around the hotel is safe and worry free. Walk to train station is less than 2 minutes, walk to street make left and first right and you're at the train/bus stop. Train is free and above ground and will take you most places you need to see or go to. Bus is $2.00 and will take you to Collins ave in south beach. Rooms with a "bay view" are nice for the added price and if you like that bonus- go for it. Rooms that I saw that had the "city view" were nice too, the lights of the city are so nice at night if you are in a room above the 15th floor. You can look at your room if you wish to see what you are getting if needed ( I asked the desk mgr.) No problem with the very attentive staff, especially the guys who work the bellman and cab starter positions, these guys are all over you and your luggage to get you a cab or up to your room. Oh well they need the tips too. Bathroom area is good size but nothing like a "residence inn" but roomy enough, King size bed room is fine with a chair at desk and a reading chair with a ottoman to rest your legs on. TV was a 40 inch or so wide screen HDTV and a great selection of channels to watch. Go to the Bayside shopping area is a great idea for food and tourist shops. Bubba Gump, Hooters, and Hard Rock are the chain food places. A very nice Italian place looked good and of course bars galore with bar food and snacks right at the waters edge, perfect to watch the boats coming and going from the harbor. Very safe here too- many plainclothes officers and uniformed cops all over the place. We were told " do not go west of there" OK we did not and were fine. Panhandlers were few and of course a cop was shagging them out. Walk to the train station is about two blocks and safe for the walkers or catch a cab. We knew a few couples who walked to bayside and took the train back to the hotel, You can see the hotel from the street so it's about 20 minute walk or so. If you want to be in the "action" stay elsewhere on south beach but if you happen to get booked here - its just fine and dandy. We in our group of 200 had hardly any problems to speak of. Internet access in room is 12.95 a day noon to noon and you may have problems with cell phones in the meeting rooms, it was like a cell phone dead zone for some. If I go back to Miami I would consider this hotel again or I'll stay at a Marriott on south beach if there is one because - the beach and night clubs we missed out this trip on.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Marietta, Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

Stayed here for two nights as part of the ING Miami Marathon.

Hotel was updated and very nice and clean. LG LCD tv, Granite in Bathroom, two nice beds, all fresh and clean. Our room # was 2226 with a Bay View.

Valet parking was only choice due to Marathon and we had no issues.

Location was perfect 1 mile from AA Arena and the start line.

Ate at the breakfast buffet once. Again, very good selection/ typical Marriott about $20.

Also ate at two local restaurants P F Chang ( so my son could load up B4 the Marathon ) & Les Halles in Coral Gables...Again, Both Good, especially Les Halles.

The only minor issue was the balcony was under renovation, so you could look out but not go out on it and our A/C needed an adjustment. During the revovation the valve was close 2/3 of the way.

Bottom line nice, clean, close to a lot of stuff downtown.

• Stayed January 2009
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

When I found out that we would be staying at this Marriott for a business meeting, I of course, looked at Trip Advisor. I was quite concerned about the reviews I read.

We have had no problems...no noise...rooms are on the smaller side but well appointed. From our room we can see the harbor and the bay and when it is clear, actually the ocean.

maid service has been good...I wasn't too keen on dinner at the hotel the first night we were there and since have eaten other places. Nemo's and Lario's. Tonight we will eat at Texas de Brazil. Breakfast each morning has been very good. There is a Starbucks on site if you are into that.

So all in all our stay has been good. The staff as been attentive.

We do have a car in the garage. So cannot speak to that issue.

Pool is nice with food service offered. The gym is well equipped.

So I am sorry that the other people before me had some issues...we so far have not had any. We have been here 4 days with 3 more to go.

Thanks

• Liked — The room quiet
  • Disliked — the restaurant on site
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

I am from the DC area, and people here are very familiar with Marriott brand. They're headquartered just outside the city in Maryland. Many years ago I worked there, and many years before that my father worked side-by-side with J.W. Marriott Sr. flipping hamburgers at one of their early restaurants. So I have a great fondness for Marriott hotels.

Unfortunately, I have to say that this hotel needs a lot of work before it can live up to the Marriott name. Be forewarned that they are in the midst of a renovation at this hotel. All the rooms have been nicely redecorated, but the work continues on the rest of the building.

Sadly, I paid extra for a bay view room, but I was never told about the construction when I reserved the room for the New Years holiday. Because of the construction, the sliding glass doors in all the rooms on the bayside have been bolted shut and are inoperable. So there are no bay air breezes. In our room the windows were extremely dirty and so poorly sealed that when the winds picked up, there was a high-pitched whistle that was intolerable. Also, the maid failed to clean the room after my first night's stay. I'm not sure how that happens.

The elevators were slow and crowded. So expect long waits. The doors in one elevator car wouldn't even shut with out some manual assistance. Also, the elevator to and from the garage is very dirty and malodorous. My kid insisted on holding his breath every time we got in it. It was somewhat pathetic.

When I pay over $300 a night for a room, I expect a better class of accommodations. I don't think what I received was worth more than $200. While the front desk staff were professional, helpful and good natured, the management was not overly generous when it came to restitution. In their defense, they did move us to a room on the poolside of the hotel and agreed to knock off $50 from the first night's stay, but it took a few of trips to the front desk to get it all straightened out.

I suspect that once the construction is completed, this will be a very nice hotel and once again worthy of Marriott name, but until then, I would advise you to stay elsewhere.

• Liked — The front desk staff.
  • Disliked — The construction work.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a pre night of a cruise leaving from the Port of Miami. This hotel is very close to the port and also is walking distance to Bayside (shopping/restaurant area near port). The room we had was recently renovated and the only thing I noticed that was NOT done yet in the renovations was the painting outside which meant ladders and ropes in front of some windows. All room decor is new and very nice, also new flat screen tvs. Coffee maker in room, excellent fitness room with a wide variety of equipment. Self parking was $26 a day. Mr Marriott made a visit while we were there so I am sure the place was looking it's best! I would stay there again for sure when needing a dowtown Miami or pre night cruise hotel.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

we had a 1 night stay here before boarding QM2 for a cruise.
after a long flight it was great to crawl into the most comfortable bed i have slept in!!! lovely room overlooking the harbour.
fantastic. lovely staff.
very very clean.
would stay here again - even for just a good nights sleep!!!

• Liked — the best bed in the world
  • Disliked — the price in the restuarant due to the exchange rate!!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
fossilHypoxia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

I had a very bad experience in Mariott Biscayne Bay this time in Miami. I am a Mariott member and also Starwoods member. I travel a lot and prefer Mariott, but after this incident this time, I am never going to stay in their property and also recommend others not to.I had to park the car in their garage parking and had to pay 24 bucks per day but there is no security, someone broke the window glass and stole all my belongings from the Car and Mariott claims to be not liable for any of these.They say they cannot take care of any criminal act..The stay was also not comfortable because its an old property, water leakage all over and then my head still ringing from the heavy construction noise. Its a terrible hotel.If the brand cannot maintain its properties, I wont ever go to this brand.I would also log this complaint with my employer who has thousands and thousands of employees travelling everyday to Mariott because of Corporate tie up.If there is no security and comfort, then what makes it different from a roadside Motel?

• Disliked — safety
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)