“Synthetic excellence” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Synthetic excellence”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We were there for two nights before a cruise. The place reminded me of a tomato grown hydroponically perfect in shape and colour and size yet lacking something - maybe taste, a personal touch, something out of the ordinary. It's as if it has been designed and built on the results of a million customer surveys - Immaculately clean, lots of space and glass, spotless service, seeming perfection everywhere including the view out over the water. Our room was huge and lacked for nothing except perhaps a bit of character. And that's what the place lacks, some disarray, a sense of humour, some human warmth.
Once outside it's an area where it's difficult to walk about, just a sea of traffic and massive towers. However, they do have a free shuttle to South Beach and you can walk from there fairly easily to Miami Beach. A tip on the rooms. We were given one of the best rooms, 1901, with a floor to ceiling picture window view out over the bay but one of us has a severe height problem so we had to trade it for a lower floor.
Summary - a lovely hotel with lovely everything if synthetic excellence is what you seek. Maybe we just like boutique hotels with quirky staff and an interesting history.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relations at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear AJ&ERtravel,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us before your cruise. We are glad to know you found our hotel comfortable and that our shuttle service was helpful to you. We hope you enjoyed your cruise and that we can welcome you back again some day.

1,268 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Perfect location for visiting downtown, MidTown and even South Beach. Very friendly staff, and amazing views from your room are wonderful attributes at this hotel. Staff was welcoming and always saying hello. I got a great upgraded room due to my Platinum Premier status- corner suite with fabulous views of the bay and South Beach. BUT......

Unfortunately, the furniture wasn't up to basic hotel standards, let alone Marriott standards. Noticed something odd about the mattresses first night- smaller than what I thought was the box-spring under it and it slid all over the place and the bed was really high from the floor. Imagine my amazement when before checking out of the room I pulled the sheets off the bed and saw two mattresses on top of each other AND a box-spring. Three layers of bedding!! Upon further inspection I noticed the top mattress was also dirty and i think too old to be used by Marriott standards.

There was a sleeper sofa in the room also and when we sat on the sofa to watch TV we noticed the back, which was designed with pillows sown into the upholstery, now due to use had seen the pillows pulled away and you could see actually see the stuffing in the sofa. Over half the pillows surface was pulled away from the fabric. how could housekeeping not see this!

there were other issues like only two towels, no spare roll of toilet paper, and when I called down to see if concierge lounge was open at 2 pm so I could print out a 3 page document I was told they close at 10:30 am and I could use business center and pay for the printing- not standard practice at a full service Marriott ( later told by manager that the lounge is open during the daytime and I could use the printer and computer up there). However in my opinion the bed and sofa were beyond understanding.

I mentioned these issues to management, they apologized, and said they are trying to replace the beds and furniture and hope to get that done soon. sounds great and i will give them another chance because i love the view and location BUT in the meantime they need to remove the damaged furniture and correct the bedding like i experienced in my situation immediately. Perhaps they need a change in housekeeping supervisors too because the supervisor should NEVER have allowed something like this to exist especially in a suite.

The concierge lounge attendant at breakfast was wonderful also though I think the hotel charges too much for their cocktails ($12) in the concierge lounge.

IF you do stay here check out everything in the room before you unpack and relax. if all is good I am sure you will have a good time here.

Room Tip: ask for room with a view of the Bay
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relations at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear FLAtravels,

We appreciate the time you took to provide your feedback on your hotel experience with us. We will be discussing this review during our next manager's meeting to ensure that these lapses in Marriott's high standards of quality are addressed immediately. Thank you for being a loyal Marriott guest and for giving us another chance to make things right.
Agadir, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Stayed couple of times and always had very professional service, excellent accommodation with wonderful view.
Usually it is only one night visit when passing through Miami and I hope I will be able to stay longer and enjoy it longer once.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear A H,

We hope you do come back to stay longer than one night! Thank you so much for sharing your review with us.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

This hotel made our trip so much easier! I was with a group of women from work and whenever we needed help planning things to do, places to eat, or just needed extra towels the staff was wonderfully helpful and super pleasant. Would recommend staying there!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relations at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Heather P,

We are glad that our associates made your trip with your coworkers so enjoyable! We hope to welcome you all back soon!
Jonkoping, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

The location of this hotel was excellent with a great view over Biscayne Bay, close to Downtown and Miami International airport. Not that hard to get to Miami beach either. The hotel also had shuttle services to some malls. The hotelroom and the bathroom were both big and comfy. Everything was clean and you had a safety box. Breakfast was included for 2 guests but unfortunately we checked out before the breakfast was serving.

Parking was quite expensive for already being a guest at the hotel, around 25 dollars per nights for guests and more for those who wasn't staying there.

Room Tip: We stayed pretty high up in a room with a view over Biscayne Bay and it was beautiful :)
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Sharzie,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Miami.
Denver, CO USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Have stayed here several times, and have to say that while the views of the Bay are spectacular, the suites a treat, and service with a smile.... it's something about the beds here which make this property over the top! I wish other full-service Marriotts (and even some Renaissance properties) would take a lesson! Not sure what it is, but I feel like I sink into a dream the moment I touch the bed.

The mattress in 801 is my ultimate favorite, but every one I've experienced is waaay above the Marriott standard. As a Platinum Premier Elite, I stay a lot of nights a year in various properties. And I compare every bed to the beds in this particular property.

The suites need a make-over (the layout in 1801 is far superior in my mind to 801), there are some tired areas and décor... but none of that takes away a point in my rating due to the ecstasy from these beds.

(P.S. If someone from this property responds... care to sell me one of your queen bed toppers? Or just give me the one from 801 and I'll make it fit my bed ;) )

Room Tip: Ask for an "01" numbered suite (801, 1801, etc) or a "corner" room - the views a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relations at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear BurBunny,

It makes us so happy to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for providing your feedback on our comfortable beds and that you feel like you "sink into a dream" as you fall asleep! Our beds are available on-line. We are happy to know as a Platinum Premier Elite customer with Marriott that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. We hope to welcome you back again one day soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here because the price is almost half less than most of the hotels in South beach. It is only a 10-15 minutes drive to the beach so we had no problem driving back and forth everyday in our 3 day stay there. And it is close to downtown with plenty of restaurants and shops to choose from. Aside from their great amenities, this is probably the Marriott's with the best customer service. Everyone was very friendly and always available to help you. The rooms are decent size, not too big but has an amazing view of the bay. Overall we are very happy with our stay!

Stayed April 2014
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relations at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear ESJB1718,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with other members and for pointing out the quality and convenience that hotel offers as compared to others in the area. We definitely do our best to show guests a high ratio of quality for value and we are thrilled that you experienced this during your visit. We appreciate you recognizing our "wonderful staff" and glad their detail to customer device and helpfulness made a difference to you. We hope when in the area, you will stay with us again.

Been to Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay? Share your experiences!