“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ingleside, Canada
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This hotel was officially chosen by Rose Tours for Backstreet Boys Cruise 2013. In the past, I had always stayed in SoBe but glad I didn't this time. The layout of the lobby, the room, the balcony and the beds were nice. Even had a rollaway bed in room with double beds when it's usually not allowed. They made an exception for me because there was a huge mix up and I really needed the extra bed. There was 4 people staying in the room and 2 of them needed beds to themselves for personal reasons. This hotel is also close to the Metromover, which offers free transportation to various locations in Miami like Bayside Marketplace. Also note that there is a mini mall right beside this hotel. I missed it initially but was able to check it out thanks to a friend who told me about it. It's located to the left side of front desk.

When I checked out, there were buses waiting to takes me and my friends to the Port of Miami. That was awesome so I didn't have to call for a cab. I doubt they do that normally though. I think it was just because there was a high demand for taxis and a majority of us going on the cruise were staying at the hotel so it was a nice thing for the hotel to do. Plus they gave away free water before I left. You had to ask for it first but that was awesome service. :)

After all the positives, I only have 2 complaints. The first is the WiFi. It's stupid that you have to pay for it in the room but it's free in the lobby. I found it so annoying to spend an hour in the lobby on my iPhone instead of in the comfort of my hotel room. I hope that is something they change in the future as every other hotel I stayed with in the past have always offered free WiFi in the room. This was the first hotel I encountered that didn't have that and I found it very bizarre. The second complain is that I had requested prior to booking for extra towels and I didn't get that. I had to call for extra towels.

This hotel also has a restaurant attached to it but I didn't eat there. I was on a tight budget and researched a cheap restaurant nearby called Mike's At Venetia, which was a the building right beside the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MelMuff
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relations at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear MelMuff,

Thank you so much for sharing your review of our property as a "great hotel" in Miami. We are glad that it was so convenient for you as an overnight before your cruise. It is never our intention to disappoint guests in any way and we are sorry that you didn't find your extra towels in your room upon check-in. Oftentimes it is most efficient to make your request right at check-in so that we can be sure to accommodate you immediately as when a request is made during the reservation process for amenities to be placed inside the room, that request isn't always automatically communicated directly to housekeeping when the hotel is busy.

Patterson, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We were in need of a hotel in the area due to a death in the family. The hotel is situated overlooking the picturesque Biscayne Bay,that has even more spectacular views at night!! The service (front desk, concierge, housekeeping) and attention to detail was excellent, that went a long way to ease the sadness caused by the death of a loved one. I was made to feel like a celebrity (due to my supposed resemblance to Samuel L. Jackson) !! That felt great!!!

The staff was ready, willing and able to attend to all our requests, and did so. The entrance lobby is very large, and I liked the fact that there was staff within 20 feet of the entrance to direct you to your destination. It is very easy to wander around aimlessly in the absence of staff near the entrance.

I was very pleased with the professionalism and attention of Ms. Gina Pitti and Ms. Sharissa Muller. They were great!!! How can I not be pleased!!! Ms. Pitti made me feel like a celebrity!! I wonder if I can find work as a lookalike?

I will definitely consider this hotel for my vacation. We are avid cruise fans and noted from our room on the 30th flr. that the Port of Miami is minutes away. We will definitely return.!!!

Keep up the good work!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a more picturesqe view of the Bay. if you are fearful of heights, avoid rooms...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Manuel L,

We send our sincerest sympathies for the death in your family which necessitated your visit to Miami. It means a lot to us that you actually took the time during this difficult period to post a review for us and actually call out the names of two associates who assisted you during your visit. We appreciate all of the wonderful things that you said about us and hope that we can welcome you back at another time for a more pleasant reason.
DeLand, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Gorgeous and comfortable room. Nice ocean view with large balcony. I liked the location of the safe in the room. Lots of nice common areas in the hotel. Breakfast buffet was good but very pricey. I feel like for this amount of money wifi should be free. The noise from the other guests in the hall was rather loud in the room. No parking option other than valet.

Room Tip: I asked at check in for a water front room and they upgraded us for no charge. I would stay away fr...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relations at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear DailyMantra,

We appreciate the time you took to post your review. We apologize for the noise that you experienced from other guests in the hallway, but unfortunately, that is a situation that is completely beyond our control. We always hope that guests are cognizant of the fact that there are other guests behind each and every door; however, that is not always the case. But we completely understand your frustration and send our apologies if this impacted your stay. With regard to the cost of the WiFi, our pricing is on par with other full-service hotels that provide the same level of service, location, and amenities as our property. WiFi is available complimentary in the lobby and throughout all public areas in the hotel.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I flew from Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale via LaGuardia airport so by the time I got to Fort Lauderdale I was exhausted. Having a shuttle service reserved, I mistakenly thought it would be like many other shuttle services where I would have a ride in relative comfort with a driver who was safe: none of that took place. The other passengers that were squeezed into this van and I looked at each other first with amusement then genuine concern for our safety but eventually, I did get to the lobby of this hotel two hours later! (It really is about a 20 minute drive)

The very nice front desk clerk could see I looked somewhat frazzled and was so nice. I asked for a room that was not adjoining and non-smoking and she provided me with one tucked away in a corner that met every need. Plus, there was an event going on there in the lobby and I was offered a glass of champagne---it could not have come at a better time.

My room was very large and a long hallway from the door to the bed ensured I did not get noise from the hallway. The bathroom was clean, nice smelling shampoos, tons of towels and the bedroom portion large as well and it was spotless. Having a balcony was a treat as not many hotels in Miami have these; it was great for having my morning coffee and watching the marina.

The high speed internet worked like a charm and just around the corner from the hotel there was a new Publix. I was only doing an overnight before a cruise but I could have easily stayed there longer. The bed was so comfortable and there were softer and firmer pillows already on top, I just had to choose!

With my age, I could care less about South Beach. I want comfort, cleanliness, non-smoking and friendly employees. This place had it all!

Room Tip: Lower floors do not get so much wind.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TorontoRobDT
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relations at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear TorontoRobDT,

It is our goal to provide a place for travelers to relax and rejuvenate after a long day on the road and we are so glad that we were able to do just that for you. Whether guests are here for a single overnight — as in your case — or longer, we are always striving to make sure their stay is brilliant and we are glad that we were able to do that for you before you embarked on your cruise.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The hotel overlooks a small harbour and has a small resort area between it and the attached residences. The rooms are spacious if a little sparsely furnished and their are nice small balconies overlooking the water. The bathroom area is a little odd with a door separating the area into two and making it harder to use. There are no mini bars in this hotel and the restaurant facilities within the hotel are disappointing.

There are just not enough staff working in the bar, which appear to be part of the problem so if the restaurant has customers the bar service cannot cope. No criticism of the bar staff though who try their best.

The only restaurant is used for breakfast and dinner and I agree with the other comments that breakfast and internet access are over priced.

There is an adjacent shopping centre with slightly better restaurants and I would suggest the Italian (Primos) is the best of those available. Generally the location is perhaps not the best and with a bit more thought an OK hotel could easily be great. I was at the hotel on business and did have other problems but found the staff helpful and disappointed by the service I received.

Room Tip: I would recommend an upper floor, away from the lift which can be noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear London_Flyer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We carefully review all member postings as were are fully committed to creating a brilliant experience for all of our guests. It would seem that we fell short here during your stay. Our restaurant leadership has already been informed of this situation as we want to ensure that we are staffed adequately at all times to meet the needs of our guests.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I worked with this hotel to use five smaller conference rooms and 20 hotel rooms for a week. I can't say enough good things about the hotel conference staff and their bending over backwards for the small requests and making sure I was satisfied with the facilities. We had catered breakfasts and lunches, including dinner one evening. Again excellent. The only reason I drop it to very good from excellent is the hotel room. It was very good, not excellent. Beware adjoining rooms as you can clearly hear the person next door, and if it is windy, avoid the water side because the howl of the wind is very loud.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John S
Dear John S,
Thank you for your kind words about your conference at our hotel. Marriott is transforming the meeting experience and we hope that we gave you a great taste of the future of meetings at our company. We appreciate that you trusted us with your function and hope that we can welcome you back here one day soon.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The hotel was okay, after I called Marriott Corporate. The staff at check in is wonderful, after that you deal with people that simply do not listen. The language barrier seems to have impaired hearing abilities.
During my stay there were issues with the internet, consistency with housekeeping, and placing Elite members on the concierge floor. Not to mention I had roaches in 2 different rooms.
The management team did address these things and I was compensated with points as a business traveler, however is this what you would want from a vacation with your family?
The service on the patio is wonderful, until they get busy, then you wait, wait, wait!

Room Tip: The AC is not adequate to cool the top floor, nice view but you will get a little warm during the da...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear voyagerguy010,

It is never our intention to disappoint any guest and we have to agree that this experience certainly does not equate to a great stay nor — does it in any way reflect Marriott's high standards of hospitality. Please rest assured that we have already addressed these concerns with the appropriate department leaders and will most assuredly take action to ensure that these failures do not repeat themselves. We are quite aware of the fact that these actions can in no way make up for our failure to meet your expectations during your stay and for this we sincerely apologize.