“Bad experience” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Paris
“Bad experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is a potentially a super hotel. A great lobby, a good restaurant and bar, friendly staff and a great location with superb views towards South Beach.

Unfortunately I had a pretty bad experience here and ended up checking out early to move to a new hotel. I don’t think I can fault the staff, who were courteous and patient throughout. The problems come from management’s policies, choices and priorities.

Here’s what went wrong:
–My main gripe was that the internet didn’t work. Dire speeds and most websites were just not attainable. On my arrival I spent two hours on the phone to the hotel’s external support provider changing the settings on my computer, disabling my firewall, Windows defender and changing a million different settings. In the end the guy was stumped and phoned the hotel. It turns out that this was a network problem that the hotel knew about but hadn’t bothered to tell the external support provider (or warn arriving guests). So I wasted my first two hours in Miami after a 10 hour flight from Europe in a stressful and pointless way. In fact the internet wasn’t restored during the whole of my four day stay. Staff apologized every time I phoned to find out what was happening– “We are working at it…”. Meanwhile I had to camp out in the bar of the next-door Doubletree Grand and use their free internet (excellent connection!) rather tha neing able to work in private from the room I had paid for. I find it unbelievable that an international business hotel chain like Marriott can’t sort this out – one of the staff confessed that they had been having issues for a while. I wonder how long it would have taken to fix if the Marriott reservations site rather than the guest internet had gone down! Not four days and counting I suspect. In the end I have checked out early and moved to another hotel as I need the internet for my work.

Other irritations:
- I booked a “Concierge Level” room – don’t bother – it’s just a standard shoebox room – no fridge, no minibar, the tiniest shampoo and shower gel bottles I have ever seen (only one shower a day for you!) and not even a shoe cleaning sponge. There is also a picture on the website of a “Concierge Level room balcony” which might give you the idea that the Concierge Level rooms have a balcony, well…mine, room 3004, didn’t.

- Note that being in a “Concierge Level” room doesn’t give you access to the “Concierge lounge” with free breakfast. I asked what it did give you and was told that the room had “Superior amenities” – I failed to spot them. Not even a bottle of water. On arriving I phoned down to get a drink sent up “That’ll take 35-40 minutes sir”. So I toasted my arrival in Miami with a glass of lukewarm highly chlorinated Florida tap water from the bathroom.

- I had a few small parcels delivered from Amazon while I was staying here. I was charged USD 7 per parcel by the hotel as a “delivery processing charge”. I have never had this in any another hotel anywhere in the world; I would have thought that receiving mail for guests was part of a hotelier’s standard service – not here!

- The buffet breakfast was pretty good – but when the bill came it had printed on it “gratuity not included”, these words had been also added a second time with a rubber stamp and written a third time in hand by the staff. Why should guests be bullied into paying a gratuity for a self-service buffet? I did all the serving myself apart from bringing a pot of coffee. I know this is not a practice exclusive to Marriott – it is used by anyone in the catering industry who does not pay their staff a living wage… and it should be stopped.

Well, I am sure that this could be a very nice hotel if they sorted out the internet, stopped charging extra for the most basic hotel services and paid their staff properly. Meanwhile I have gone elsewhere never to return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relations at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear DavidFinch9436,

We are sincerely sorry for the issues that you experienced during your stay with us. When having Internet access is imperative — as it clearly was in your case — no apologies and excuses are going to make up for the fact that you simply were not able to connect. We completely understand how frustrating this situation can be and we are doing everything possible to ensure that it does not happen again. Future guests can rest assured that we are working hard to be sure this problem does not occur again. It is never our intention to disappoint a guest in any way, but clearly we did not achieve our goal during your stay with us. We are taking your review very seriously, are circulating it throughout all hotel departments, and will be meeting on it specifically to ensure that other guests do not walk away with the same impression.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This hotel is not on the beach; it faces a harbor view. The pool is small and surrounded by concrete and tall buildings with no view at all. Breakfast buffet is overpriced and not very good. Grocery store and shopping in the adjacent hotel is convenient. Free wifi in the lobby with decent sitting areas. Water flavored with fresh cucumbers is a nice touch. Attentive staff, clean rooms.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear mom2kids1dog,

We appreciate the time you took to post your review of our hotel. It is never our intention to disappoint our guests in any way, and we apologize if the layout of our hotel did not meet your personal expectations. We do greatly appreciated that you shared with other members that our staff is attentive, our rooms are clean, and that you enjoyed the amenities in our lobby.
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I had never been to this Marriott before this weekend but I was impressed by it. Not only does it have some the most beautiful views of Biscayne Bay, downtown Miami and South Beach, it offers easy access to the highway ( a few blocks away) and the picturesque Venetian Causeway that allows a beautiful drive into the heart of South Beach. Also, it is situated in the heart of Miami and right on the bay and marina.

I really enjoyed the concierge lounge which offered lots of local eats (gourmet empanadas!) and good strong coffee----just like we like it in the Magic City.

Valet was really attentive and quick with my vehicle. Really good people.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relations at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear FinnyGo,

We are so happy that you chose our hotel and that you had such a wonderful experience while you were here with us. It is our goal to have guests enjoy their interactions while at our hotel and we are thrilled that your experiences with our Concierge Lounge and valet were so wonderful. We will be sure to pass along your feedback to them.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The service was fair, the restaurant was underpopulated, the menu promising but did not live up to its promise. The pumpkin risotto with the fish was outstanding, but the fish was dry. The room with king size bed was small. The premium Internet service in the room was slow.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Judith L,

We appreciate the time you took to post your review. It is never our intention to disappoint any guest and we apologize that you felt our services and facilities did not completely meet with your standards. We appreciate the feedback regarding the cuisine and the slow Internet and will be sure to pass this information on to the appropriate department heads to ensure that they are aware of it and can take action if possible.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We chose this hotel because we are traveling to the keys then going on a cruise. It was in a convenient place, close to everything but, first things first, checking in.....
My wife and I are elite members so we tried to check in at the members desk, wrong, no staff at any desk. We waited for ten minutes until staff turned up, not a very good start! I pointed out that wifi was free for members, not so the lady said, you can have it for 3 bucks off! We got to our room, beautiful room by the way with the usual Marriott bed etc and a great view from the 28th floor. We went down to the Iffy cafe, "open for breakfast, lunch and dinner", but it was closed at 6pm, don't know exactly when you are meant to have dinner. We'll go to the pool bar, sorry, closed, you have to eat at the other bar/restaurant, but it is seafood only. We went, got a drink, waited 20 minutes, couldn't get another or order any dinner, or find a server, so we left. In the end we had to go to the hotel next door to get food, or any kind of service. The tv in the room refused to work for more than ten seconds, kept saying "signal lost", I phoned the desk and they said "they all do that".
So, to sum up, a beautiful hotel, with great rooms, clean and comfortable and a reasonable price, and handy for cruises etc. but the service leaves a LOT to be desired. This is the second Marriott we have stayed in this trip and the second they have ignored all our request for pillows, towels etc, don't know why we bother to be elite members if we have to ask for everything.

Room Tip: Get a waterfront view, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relations at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear malcolmg65,

We sincerely apologize for the issues that you experienced during your stay with us. This is not indicative of the way that we serve our guests and as a loyal Elite Member, this is indeed unacceptable. If you read the majority of our reviews, guests remark about the prompt check-in and overall service, and what you experienced was definitely an anomaly. We thank you for sharing your opinion with us as it provides us with the opportunity to review it with our associates and train them to better recognize cues that indicate guest dissatisfaction. With regard to your television issues, the recent change of season brings rainy weather and severe storms to our area which have the potential to interrupt service for short periods of time. However, we do apologize for the manner in which this was handled with you as it was definitely not according to our protocol. We always encourage guests to continually contact us during their stay if there is anything that does not meet with their satisfaction so that we have the opportunity to make it right. Once again, we apologize if we did not seize this opportunity and we hope that you will give us another chance to do just that in the future.
Spacecoast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Fabulous property for a special event like a wedding. Rooms had spectacular view of the bay. Staff is very pleasant and friendly. Enjoyed the coffee bar in the lobby. Food from restaurants were very well portioned and delicious.

Room Tip: Ask for a room 15th floor or higher with view of bay, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relations at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear pauldc1,

We are thrilled that you found our hotel to be a fabulous property for a special event. Our hotel is indeed a spectacular location for a destination wedding as you experienced during your recent stay. We appreciate your kind words about our staff, amenities, and cuisine.
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Arrived late on a Wed. night. For reasons I didn't understand, it took the front desk a very long time. This may sound strange, but the keyboard that the front desk clerk was using was filthy and you could see it. I told him it needed cleaning, he says "too many people use it". Finally after much key tapping I get a room. Arrived on the 24th floor and the
hallway smelled moldy. No other word for it. The room did not smell but the hallway was bad. My co-worker who had a room down the hall agreed. The room was dated, beaten up and in need of a remodel. The real fun started on the second night of my stay when the power went out on my floor. The whole hotel was not affected, but it made getting ready in the dark to go out for dinner rather interesting. All I got for that was an apology and a bottle of water in my room. (and I have status in the Marriott Reward Program). Overall , I think I will try somewhere else next time I travel to Miami.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor, water view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hosting_Ambassador, Guest Relatioms at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear SLKspingirl,

We apologize that you had a few issues while you were here with us. While it is never our intention to disappoint a guest in any way, the power outage that you experienced unfortunately impacted approximately half the hotel that evening and was due to a situation beyond our control. We apologize for any inconvenience that this caused and have sent you a private message with an email address asking you to contact us. We do appreciate your feedback regarding the other matters and we will be reviewing these issues with our operations committee to ensure that any avoidable issues are not repeated.