“Ok Marriott with lot of nice touches but not quite up to par” 4 of 5 stars

$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #27 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Myers, Florida
“Ok Marriott with lot of nice touches but not quite up to par”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with nice amenities including valet parking, room service and decent restaurant on site. Service is very good. When we checked in, we were given a room immediately and bellman delivered bags promptly. After spending some time in our room, I noticed a peculiar smell and carpets seemed damp. I was worried about mold so asked for another room and was given one promptly. Second room without problems, clean.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed at this property when it first opened and it was beautiful. 25 years have passed, and the hotel is showing its age.

PROS
- Friendly front desk staff member helped me with shipping my bag back home
- I eventually ended up with a room with a view (although it was not the first room they offered me)
- My last night (I checked-out at 9:00 for a midnight flight) was comped, either because I complained or because of the Marriott Gold late check-out policy

CONS
- Outdated decor
- Mediocre restaurant service
- Uncontrollable A/C (our meeting room was very uncomfortable)
- An extremely mixed group of guests: some a little on the rough side
- My first room was obviously not vacuumed: there was sand all over the place. My second room also had not been vacuumed (they were sold-out as it was Spring Break, but this is a poor excuse)
- Poor value. My rate was $279 (not too bad) but a friend who was arriving that weekend had paid $529
- Small rooms
- Dark, dingy hallways in need of painting

I will not stay here again. I've grown up -- the property seems to be still stuck in the '80's.

Esme Travels
aka M.A.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MarriottMiami, Manager at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Greetings!

We truly appreciate the feedback you offered. It is clear by the number of reviews that you have posted that you are well traveled and we appreciate your perspective. I want to let you know that I am discussing your review with all leaders in the hotel so that the actionable items can be addressed.

We also respect your opinion regarding our decor but do want to point out that the 30 million dollar renovation we completed two years ago significantly changed the layout and style of our hotel and we would like to direct anyone researching our hotel to the photos posted here and on Marriott.com. I am sorry that you feel that these changes does not conform to modern design standards. We will also share this feedback with our design team.

We sincerely hope that you will change your mind and visit us again. Our hotel is intensely focused on providing outstanding service and accomodations and we know we can win back your loyalty.
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I traveled in January to run Miami Marathon, and it resulted in a great experience. It is located at walking distance to the start and finish line. Has a good restaurant with affordable prices. The rooms are quite big,and the bed and bedding super comfortable. We ordered a small refrigerator for beverages and fruits and it worked real well for us, who came to run the marathon.

The Wifi has to be paid and it didn´t work well inside the room.

Since the hotel is located in a very good area for runners, I will suggest that to declare it runners friendly, and serve a breakfast very early on the day of the race.

Room Tip: Higher floors have excellent view. The food is great and very friendly personnel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Good Day!

Thank you for your review and congratulations on your marathon! We are delighted that you chose to stay at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay. I was discussing your review with our Chef as we love your suggestion of taking a "runner friendly" stance on race day. More to come on that! In the meantime, we look forward to your next stay with us!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We picked this hotel out of a hat when we were going on a cruise out of the port of Miami.
We were pleasantly suprised with the beauty of the hotel, the comfort of the room, and the magnificent view.
Also, there are many restaurants between this hotel and the one next door, which is super convenient.
We used their free shuttle to South Beach...also a plus for us.
For Marriott gold and platinum members, there is a nice concierge room, with good amenities and internet is free.
You DO have to pay for valet parking, though. The drive to the port is under 10 minutes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Magnolia, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Of all our pre-cruise hotels, this is by far the best. Beautiful hotel ... First class all the way. We stayed in room 720, overlooking the bay and cruise port. Marriott outdid themselves with this one. The decor, restaurants, lounges, staff, etc. are top notch. Room was very elegant. We had a queen and rollaway for 3 people. Towels and linens were top notch.

It's a 5 min. taxi cab ride to the cruise port. About 15 minute ride to Miami airport ( w/o traffic). Lots to do in the area. Bayside Marketplace has lots of shops and restaurants. Small mall attached to the hotel .. Nice boutique shops.

There are lots of hotels to choose from near the port but I would choose this Marriott over any other hotel.

"Catch," the seafood restaurant in the hotel is outstanding. Food was fabulous. Lively hotel bar.

Room Tip: Book early. This is a popular hotel. From Miami airport you can book a shuttle for @$13 pp. We used...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chapel Hill, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I checked in the day before a 10 day Caribbean cruise. After the bellman led us to our top floor Presidential Suite....imagine our surprise when he opens the doors to a 1800+ sq ft all glass view of Biscayne Bay!! The pantry plus a bar area next to the grand piano and a huge dining room and living room. A lovely extra large king bed and the in bath garden tub. Only slight negative was that under one of the living room chairs that we rearranged were a very skimpy pair of "ladies" thong undies :-0.
The staff were all very helpful even with a full house and a TPA Tennis tournament being held in the area.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a view of Biscayne Bay!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MarriottMiami, Manager at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Good Day!

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your most recent stay with us. The room you were in is quite popular as it highlights one of the many spectacular views from our hotel. We are, however, embarassed to hear of the not so lovely surprise you found in your room. It is unnaceptable for this to have not been found when the room was cleaned and I will be sharing this feedback directly with our housekeeping team.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay with us!
modiin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hi

It is a nice hotel in a good location but not for me

I needed to order a package from amazon to the hotel.
I asked in advance if this is possible and they say yes.
Once I received the package I found out that

Amazon packed it in 2 boxes
The hotel is charging me for each...

So for a 20$ value from amazon I paid the hotel additional 12$

Not nice
And not expected from a hotel with this rates per night

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Greetings!

Thank you for offering this feedback. Because of the extremely high volume of boxes we receive here at the hotel, we implemented these charges to simply cover the costs of personnel and systems needed to properly receive, log, store and deliver these boxes. We did make sure to research the charges of neighboring hotels to ensure that we remain competitive and we do not charge our Platinum Elite members for this service as well.

However, we will review our current volume of packages and see if there is opportunity to reduce the pricing. Even though our goal in this endeavor is to simply cover costs but we certainly do not want to compromise our high service standards. I am sorry that this negatively impacted your experience at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay. Thank you again for sharing this with us!

Been to Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay? Share your experiences!