“Excellent Hotel! Absolutely loved it! We will be back next month!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay

$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #27 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent Hotel! Absolutely loved it! We will be back next month!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Marriott pre- and post- cruise on June 30th and July 4th. There were 26 of us in total. Everyone loved this hotel! The staff was friendly and very accommodating. We requested and received early check-in. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The bay view is a must! The older people in our group were able to watch the fireworks from the balcony. The free wi-fi in the lobby is a bonus! The lobby is beautiful and we were able to enjoy Starbucks while enjoying a booth in the chic lobby. The location is perfect! We were minutes from both South Beach and Bayside! The staff was friendly and the bell men were very helpful and courteous. Although check-out was at noon, the hotel held our luggage in a hospitality room while we went to Bayside and awaited our shuttle to the airport. We were treated like five-star clients in a five-star hotel. We loved it. I am actually going back next month with a few friends and we are staying at the Marriott!

Room Tip: Definitely request a high floor with a bay view!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Naples, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We had a great AAA rate on this hotel and it was totally worth it. We drove over a day before our cruise so that we wouldn't have to fight Miami Monday morning traffic (I get frenzied just thinking about it).

Pros: AAA rate with breakfast was a great deal for a hotel like this.
The breakfast was very good and fresh. Waffles, omelets, sausage, scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, along with continental type affair.
Our room was very nice. I believe all rooms include a balcony. Our room was large with plenty of space for the 4 of us.
Even though we were paying a discounted rate, we still had a partial view of the bay.
Staff was very friendly and helpful.
Very close to Bayside for shopping and eating. Very close to the port.
There's a great place to get cheaper food in between this hotel and the DoubleTree.
Free Wi-Fi, but only in certain areas of the lobby.

Cons:
Self-parking seemed a pain so we went with Valet. We would rather have done our own parking in hindsight as Valet is rather expensive.
Food at the Marriott is expensive.
My husband's parents room was small and oddly shaped. Since it was just the 2 of them in that room, it was fine.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We picked this hotel mainly because of its location. Only a $6 taxi cab ride to the Miami port and Bayside Marketplace. A $16 taxi cab ride to South Beach. The hotel also has a free shuttle to South Beach several times per day. The hotel lobby is very trendy and it's located right on the edge of Biscayne bay. You may rent boats off the dock, right outside the hotel. There is a concierge lounge with a decent breakfast for Elite members. The hotel restaurant is kind of pricey. However, there are a lot of places to eat at the Bayside Marketplace. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. Would definitely go back for another stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011 via mobile

We had the best room in 601. It was a corner room with an awesome view. Don't eat at the hotel it's way too expensive and the parking is also very expensive. Overall we got an awesome deal on priceline. Don't expect a microwave or fridge unless you get a suite. Next time we'll probably stay in downtown hollywood. Parking is more affordable and the beach is very laid back. I'll recommend it if you don't mind shelling out the dough.

• Stayed July 2011
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Stayed over the 4th of July weekend. The room was good, you could tell that it had been updated. It was clean and a very good size. I would have rated higher, but the customer service was lacking. To be fair, it did seem like there were many employees who were trying their best to do a good job. There were a few though that seemed to be either overwhelmed or not really interested. Here's my story:

Got to the hotel and hour before check-in. My room wasn't available yet, no big deal. The front desk girl asked if I wanted to be put on a list to get a call when my room was ready. I said yes and then mentioned that I'd hang out at the hotel cafe until the room was ready. She advised against this and stated that it could be a few hours before my room was ready. Really?? So, I left my bag at the hotel and went to walk around the city for awhile. I headed back to the hotel at 5:30 after never getting a call that my room was ready, thankfully it was (I was awake since 3:30am and had an early morning photo shoot scheduled for the next day). I ended up getting the same front desk person. She checked me in, gave me my keys and then just looked at me. I noticed that she was at least explaining where the hotel pool and elevators were to the other people, but not to me. It's not really easy to find the elevators or pool if you've never been to that hotel. She was probably just overwhelmed or something, but she wasn't very cordial. After that, I had to wait 15 minutes to get my bag. The issue was that the bellhop couldn't find my bag, but before he admitted that, he said, "We'll bring it up to your room." Glad I refused that and stayed in the lobby, otherwise it would have been even more of a hassle to get it. I had to go in to the luggage room and point out which one it was, even though there was a claim ticket on it. At check out, I tried to use the TV check out system, but could not find that option on the menu screen, so I was forced to check out at the front desk. Big mistake. It took a very long time and many of the other guests seemed to be annoyed. It seemed like there were some operational issues that prevented the staff from doing a good job (and there were some staff that seemed not to care too much, for example the girl who checked me in).

The other things that would have been nice: a light blanket in addition to the sheet and heavy comforter, quieter air conditioning, free use of internet in the business center.

So, the rooms are good, and seems to be a good location if you're going on a cruise. Since this hotel has gotten good reviews about customer service, my experience may be out of the norm. But I still wouldn't go back and probably would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Note to hotel staff who may read this: You'll see that I don't often give out bad reviews on this site, so I'm not just complaining to be annoying. And I am a very nice person and believe in giving respect to people, especially people who are helping me out. So this review was not written lightly. I mean every word of it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
MarriottMiami, Manager at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Greetings!

We can’t thank you enough for your detailed post. I want you to know that your feedback really helps us to ensure that we provide the best possible service and experience to all of our guests. We review and act upon all of the suggestions and feedback from our valued guests. I am truly sorry that we did not provide exceptional service to you in this case. The perception of others always provides for a valuable learning experience and, in the hospitality business, we must remain constantly aware of this. I am sharing your post with our Front Desk and Bell Stand associates as a reminder of this important philosophy as their initial interaction with our guests sets the stage for the remainder of the stay.

So again thank you for sharing your experience on this site. While you are correct that our hotel receives many accolades for the service our associates provide, this does not lessen the impact or attention we give to instances where we fall short of our goal which is perfect service delivery!
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

My daughter attends college at JWU so I visit Miami often. This time I opted to stay at this great hotel because the price was reasonable for peak season. I traveled in March for my spring break since it is when I can get away from my teaching duties at the college. I was very pleased with the hotel. The pool area is small but nice and clean. There is an area if you want some quiet time away from the pool. I would spend my morning there basking in the hot March sun. It is convenient for me since I do not drive. The Omni was right up the block so was the bus depot. I spent a week at this hotel and had a great time. The area was fine and well lit. I would come back late after spending day out or at bayside in the evenings. The place was renovated and it has a very fresh clean look to it. I had some minor issues with items I requested prior to arrival and that was settled. The breakfast buffet was good. I have paid more in other hotels for a buffet breakfast. The only minor detail was the service. Once you tell the waitress or waiter you are having buffet, they serve you coffee and you don't see them again. My child is a culinary major and these are the little things that can ruin a good place. The dining room staff has to be more attentive whether it is ala carte or buffet dining. The young man at the omelet station needed to smile instead of looking like he hates his job. I enjoyed the quiet time in the many cubicles in the lobby area. I would set up my laptop to do work or just sit among the cozy benches to read a book. I had a great view of the bay despite the mini balcony.

I am visiting Miami in the next couple of weeks and am disappointed that the week I want to stay there is no availability.

I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Urbandale, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

When we arrived to our room with the bellman, there were huge wet spots on the beds and the chair/ottoman in the room. He called the maid service and they came to the room. Of course they did not speak English. He translated to us that the maid had sprayed room freshener and that's what the spots were. It looked more like they poured room freshener on the beds. Anyway, we were given a 'new' comforter for the one that looked the wettest. Then when we went into the bathroom... the toilet had hairs on the rim... there were no towels or washrags...the floor was filthy. I don't think the room had been cleaned in days. DISGUSTING. I called the front desk and they sent someone to clean the room, finally. We would not stay at this hotel again if it were free.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay? Share your experiences!