“Pleasant experience but upgrade internet” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 130 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Pleasant experience but upgrade internet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Very nice hotel, clean quiet functional spacious rooms, w/ coffee maker, huge TV, comfortable beds and great view. No refrigerator in rooms, no indoor pool or jacuzzi. Helpful, courteous staff. The major downside was that the wireless internet was flaky and expensive ($14/day), download speeds would slow to the point of being useless many times during the day and evening. If you need a good reliable internet connection better to look elsewhere otherwise fine.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
lichyun, Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, January 23, 2011
Thank you for your review and we are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay with us. Your opinion is very valuable to us and please rest-assured that we will address your concern to repsective managers of our hotel for future improvement. We thank you again for staying at InterContinental Miami and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Director of Front Office

2,472 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Polish first
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

..rather one of the worst, pairing with IC Miramar in Panama city. There are good things in the hotel, the bellboys , the breakfast, and a very nice housekeeper that did her best. But the rest;
- laundry, quick but way to much starching of shirt, delivered on a hanger even if asked for doubled.
- room, first one given did had a nonfunctional safe ( which maintenance knew of when calling- evenso the room was offered to a customer the hotel knew is an Ambassadeur gold member, staying a lot in IChotels). second room had a functional safe, but furniture in so dirty shape, a not fully filled minibar, and no extra fringes for ambassadeur gold members
- no upgrade of room was provided- even if that is standard for gold members
- the bill on check out was generous, no laundry added, one breakfast missing - of course this is positive on one side, but on another it shows a hotel that has a malfunctioning billing system.
But I did sleep very well in a very comfortable bed..... But will not return to this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
We sincerely would like to apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced during your recent stay with us and it is troubling to hear that we did not meet your expectation, especially as a valuable Ambassador Member. At your covenience, I would appreciate if you would consider to contact me to discuss all shortfalls from our side and give us another opportunity when we can restore your confidence in us again. Thank you in advance and I look forward to hear from you again.

Director of Front Office
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

I stayed at the Intercontinental as part of a group for the Orange Bowl and we got a really good rate so I have to weigh my review against what I paid. For what I paid, the hotel was adequate and I was in my room for very little time so that helped. This is a really big hotel which in general I try to avoid but if that's what you're in to then this hotel fits the bill. The lobby is beautiful and there are plenty of amenities -- gift shop, business center, an in-hotel Starbucks (that part was awesome!), restaurant with a bar, etc. The rooms however need work. On the surface they look nice but on closer inspection, you see they are way overdue for an upgrade. The room I had was very big so that's a plus but the bathroom layout was weird and the fixtures, furnishings and hardware just looked old. On the plus side, there was a separate tub and shower but I didn't like how the shower was behind the bathroom door and it was really small. There was a little cubby where they stored the iron and ironing board and it was just dingy in there - dust on the air vent, peeling paint, etc. I did eat the buffet lunch in the restaurant and it was adequate. Not sure what it cost as it was part of an event for our group so hard to say if it was worth what we paid. I will enthusiastically recommend the hotel bar's signature cocktail - that was yummy! I can't recall the name but it was some sort of fruity martini. I noticed that this was considered 4 star on TripAdvisor. I have to argue with that classification as I have stayed in nicer Hampton Inn hotels. If I were to come back to Miami, this would not be my first choice for a hotel as I prefer newer, smaller hotels but if you need a large hotel with good rates and lots of amenities that come with a big hotel, this will probably suit your needs, especially if you can get it for less than $200/night.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
AJDONE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

I was at the hotel last week for a meeting and the hotel was great! The rooms are large and have views of Miami. The food in the meeting rooms was unique and very tasty. I liked how they told you a little about all the dishes.

I would definitly go back!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
lichyun, Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

We stayed here two nights before our cruise. Every employee we met beginning with the bellman who met our cab was friendly and helpful. Booked on lastminutetravel for 83.50 a night- super rate. Were told view would be $20 more but then upgraded for free because we were Priority Club members. Fabulous view from our room. Concierge helped us save on harbor boat tour. Short walk to Bayshore market with great food court and many restaurants. Room, bedding, and bath were exceptional. This is the first time I have reviewed a property but after reading so many negatives we had to give our glowing report.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel the day before we set sail on our 7 Night Cruise out of the Port of Miami. My father got some inside scoop on how to get this hotel for only $89 a night. What a steal. Normally if you were to book this hotel on expedia, travelocity, etc. it's $219 per night. The location is perfect for anyone who is planning a cruise and wants to arrive the night before. Its at $8 cab ride to the Port of Miami and the cabs are always flowing. When we checked in, we asked the receptionist for a water view room. It was only $20 more for this room, but we thought it was worth it because of the how cheap we got the room. The room was spacious and very clean. The beds were very comfortable.The view that we had of the port of Miami and the water was excellent. We saw dolphins from our room and it was great. We had great access to Bayside. I've been there a few times before and it was only a 5 minute walk from the hotel to Bayside. We went to dinner and did a little shopping. We woke up early the next morning and watched our ship, The Norweigan Epic, come into port. The hotel has a Starbucks located in the lobby. We got up and had coffees in the morning. We got ready to leave and all you had to do to check out is to drop your keys off in a quick drop off box. It was so easy. The only downfall of the hotel is that the additional hotel staff in the spa are not friendly at all. My mother and I went for a walk around the hotel to explore it and we ended up in the spa and pool area. We wanted to see what the pool looked like and where it was located. The ladies that worked at the spa and entrance to the pool totally ignored us when we asked them questions. Working in retail and with the public, its very important for one to be acknowledged. Other than that, we had a an excellent time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

The Hotel Intercontinental Miami is way past due for some renovations. In a word, this hotel is subpar to the Intercontinental brand. The lobby is nice, but that is where it ends. When we got off the elevator, the smell of musty carpet met us in the hallway. As we walked toward our room, I couldn't help but notice the dust that had collected where the edge of the carpet met the wall down the entire hallway. I held my breath as we opened the room door. I was secretly hoping and praying the room would be better.

Unfortunately, the room wasn't better. The same musty carpet smell filled the room. I walked into the bathroom and saw the re-caulked shower and dingy floors. The dust-bunnies were hanging out in the crevices here as well. What a disappointment. All I kept thinking was: I left my slippers at home and I really don't want to walk on this disgusting floor. I had a slice of cheesecake from earlier that I wanted to refrigerate, so I went to put it in he refrigerator. Well, first of all you can't use the refrigerator for personal items because it's a high tech (packed to the rim) mini bar that's rigged to charge you if any item is moved for 1 minute or more (read the fine print) - even if you put the item back in it's place unused. Okay, after reading the fine print and after looking at the mold in the crevices of the refrigerator, I decided I didn't want to leave my food in there anyway.

For $300+ per night, it is definitely not worth it. This old, dingy, overpriced hotel is charging astronomical rates based on a brand name it does not live up to.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Miami? Share your experiences!