“Wonderful stay!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Zurich, Switzerland
“Wonderful stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed here a few nights before a conference to get over the jet lag. I chose the hotel for its location and what seemed like a good property.
I was not disappointed.
I checked in with no problems. Desk staff were friendly and knowledgeable.
My room was on the 30th floor with a view of downtown. Very modern room. Large desk by a picture window. Comfy sitting chair with a ottoman. Large, soft bed with plenty of pillows.
Bathroom was well appointed and maintained. Small minibar with the usual selection of wares. In room coffee and tea was also available. Internet was super fast!
My room granted me access to the concierge club. Nice selection of snacks and beverages. Staff were attentive but nor pushy. Loved the Beef Wellington!
Used the ToroToro bar. Great service and people. Nice drinks too!
Did not use the restaurant, but did use in room dining. Food was delivered quickly and hot. Prices were really reasonable.
Pool was a nice diversion as well.
I certainly will stay here agin if I am in Miami.

Room Tip: I liked to upper level room as well as the downtown view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Optibeam,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on our guestrooms, friendly staff and great facilities. We are glad that we were able to exceed your expectations of our hotel. Jet lag can be pretty gruesome sometimes, we hope our comfortable beds made this an easy goal for you to conquer. Next time you decide to travel to Miami we hope you choose to stay with us, also don’t forget to try our very own Toro Toro restaurant, featuring tantalizing cuisine by acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

First, I want to thank Juan Carlos Velasco, Concierge, for arranging a tennis lesson at Crandon Park, where the Sony Open Tennis is played in March. I had a lesson w/ the Head pro, Feddy, who helped to polish my tennis skills. Juan was wonderful to work with and happy to share my tennis experience with him. The hotel staff is great from the bell service, front staff, restaurant staff and housekeeping. My only concern was the cost to use the work-out facilities. I think we should be encouraging guests to work out and not have a fee attached to the facility. The InterContinental is a very good location to walk to nearby shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Corner room was nice... I had a city view.
Dear Maryanne A,

Thank you for this excellent review. We are glad you noticed the quality of our customer service standards. We ensure each of our guests gets a top notch experience that they will never forget. We also pride ourselves in having one of the best Concierge and Valet teams in the city.
Thank you for your recommendations on the Valet and Gym fees as we have shared your suggestions with the appropriate staff. Next time you decide to travel to Miami don't hesitate to contact us in advance if you need anything or have any special requests.
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is the kind of property that I really want to give five stars to, because what they did well, they did very well. At check-in, the front desk agent, Monique, was super friendly and I was left with a TERRIFIC first impression.

But then, we got to our room, and that is where the problems started. Upon arriving in our room, we were immediately struck by a strong, extremely unpleasant odor. My husband described is at strong B.O. I thought it smelled like something had crawled behind a bed and died. I called the front desk to try to request a room change because there is no way we could stay in that room. But it rang and rang and rang, and no one from the front desk ever picked up. The the bellman arrived in our room. the odor was so bad that he wouldn't even bring our luggage in. He radioed to the manager on duty, and from the one side of the conversation we could hear, it seemed to me that the manager was balking at changing our room. The bellman had to stress several times that the odor was NASTY to convince them to change our room.

Later that evening, when talking with other conference attendees, I discovered that another attendee had been assigned that VERY SAME ROOM before we had arrived and also requested a room change for the same reason. This really annoyed me. If a room odor is so bad that it requires a room change, the hotel should take the room out of service to investigate, rather than trying to pawn it off on some other unsuspecting guest.

The next day, we discovered that the toilet in our new room had loosened from the caulk around the floor, and that afternoon it started leaking badly, spilling not just water, but also waste, across the bathroom floor. So they again moved us. We were in a total of 3 rooms in less than 24 hours.

Aside from the rooms fiasco, a lot about this property was top notch. The rooms (and views) were wonderful, the bathrooms spacious, the lobby bar area inviting, and the meeting space was perfectly suited for the group's needs.

I do have a complaint about the temperature in the meeting space. I'm used to cold meeting rooms, but it was so cold on one of the days that my teeth were chattering and my hands were shaking, and I wasn't the only one experiencing that. TOO COLD!!!

One day a group from the conference ate at Toro Toro (on-property restaurant) during our lunch break. The presentation and food were excellent, but the service was so excruciatingly slow that we ended up missing the first conference session after lunch. It took well over 30 minutes, maybe closer to 40 minutes, for our food to arrive after we ordered. During this time we never saw our server, and I finally had to track her down to find out where our food was.

I was not thrilled about paying $3 for a bottle of Diet Coke in the gift shop, but I did appreciate the free water at check-in and again from the valet as we were leaving to head home. And speaking of the valet, at one point we lost our ticket, but that turned out to not be a problem, for which we were grateful.

The location near Bayside Marketplace was also ideal. We walked over to that area several times during our stay to take advantage of the restaurants there.

So, as the title of this review suggests, we had a very mixed experience. I feel that we got both the best and the worst of what this property has to offer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear mtd716,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your review and all the nice comments about our location. It is always our goal to provide the best possible service and create memorable experiences and on this occasion we apologize for the disappointment you had with our facilities and the service you received. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you do choose to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

we stayed at the hotel for our son's wedding, everything was great, beautiful suite, service was great. Valet service, more specifically Alex Sierra, accommodated our guests very efficiently and provided great customer service. we would definitely stay there again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear JuanF,

Thank you for leaving this great review. Indeed, our suites are breathtaking and have some of the most beautiful views available in downtown. Our staff is trained to ensure each of our guests feels like a VIP. No request is too large and it’s the little details that make each experience memorable. We are glad that Alex Sierra made your stay with us that much better. Don’t hesitate to contact us with any special requests before booking your next stay.
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night prior to cruise, will definitely return for a longer stay. The valet parking is very convenient but at $36 per night could start to add up if staying a few nights. Our room was on 24th floor with views of bayside park and downtown. We did not eat in the hotel as Bayside marketplace was a safe 5 minute walk from hotel. Location handy for port of Miami and walking distance to AA arena. Very grand lobby area, all in all was really impressed by this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear VADOUGIE,

We are glad you kicked-off your cruise vacation by choosing to stay with the InterContinental Miami. Thank you for sharing your amazing comments. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your entire stay and even more thrilled that you had the opportunity to enjoy the Bayside marketplace and the AA arena. We are also glad you enjoyed the recently renovated hotel additions. Next time you decide to travel to Miami we hope you choose to stay with us, also don’t forget to try our very own TORO TORO restaurant, featuring tantalizing cuisine by acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval.
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I am a platinum member of the IHG hotel chain and stay a considerable number of nights (over 60 a year to be platinum) each year in their hotels. It is sad because the hotel itself is very beautiful but there are simply too many problems for a hotel of this caliber and price. It started when I pulled up and there were a multitude of valets and bag handlers. I had to get my bag out of the truck and bring it in to the hotel. Three bag handlers looked right at me and walked away. I got to the front desk to check in, no upgrade (platinum members are to get upgrades). I get up to the room an order room service (grilled cheese with fries and a Cuban pork sandwich with a salad). One hour and 12 minutes later, I call back (was told 20-25 minutes the first time) and she claimed the came to my room and no one was there. Interesting because my wife and I were sitting there waiting the entire time and no one knocked. She then sad they would send it back up. Food arrived, was cold. The salad came with no salad dressing. The Cuban pork sandwich, which is a basic staple in Miami, wasn't even pressed. It was cold to the point that the cheese had just came out of the refrigerator and was basically nothing more than a regular cold ham sandwich. The entire sandwich was cold like you were making a normal one at home. No press whatsoever, not heated, noting. The grilled cheese and fries were both cold and the cheese in the grilled cheese wasn't melted. I broke down and ate the $5 minute can of pringles instead. Was supposed to get free internet because I'm a platinum member and got clipped $17.95 for that. As for the hotel, the room was very nice with a great view of Biscayne Bay. I'd get a higher floor if you do decide to stay here. The room was at least modern (1 closet door broken so once was open couldn't get it to shut) and spacious. The bathroom was well stocked. I would put this on par with a Sofitel without the service of a Sofitel. It is sad that what should be a high end property is a high end problem. People can see the contributions on here and see that I stay at some fairly nice hotels all over the place. Sad, but I won't be back here. Not impressed at all. On a high note, I did get a free bottle of water to say thanks for staying over 60 nights a year in their hotels. That is much better than the $36 valet fee. Almost makes me want to stay here again so I can have horrible service but free water. Sad thing is, I chose his hotel to be loyal to the IHG brand. Was going to stay in South Beach at the Lowes. Guess I learned my lesson.

Room Tip: try to get a higher floor for better views. Pay extra for the room facing Biscayne Bay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear jmoonesq,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. I do apologize that your experience was not what you expected specifically with the food and service you received. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests as these concerns will be addressed immediately. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was stying in Miami for business, which usually I visit for pleasue, but I am so very glad i picked this hotel. The hotel is beautiful and full of energy. I did not expect to find such an amazing hotel in downtown Miami.. though cool hotels were all on the beach. In addition to amazing facilities, the staff was superb. The type of service that one only hope for, but never gets. The team there was engaged, warm, friendly... just top notch all the way.

I hope to be able to travel back to Miami just to stay at the fabulous hotel.

By the way, downtown Miami is not what is used to be.. It is alive, vibrant and, in my opinion, the new place to be in Miami....

Room Tip: Harbor view is amazing... worth the upgrade
Dear AlyMarz,

Thank you for this awesome review. We recently renovated our hotel to match the new, vibrant, alive feeling that Miami portrays. Our staff is always full of energy and trained to ensure that each of our guest get a personalized top notch experience. It’s the little things that make our guests remember that we are here for them and we are glad you noticed. We will make sure to share your positive comments with the appropriate staff. We hope you make the InterContinental Miami your first choice when staying in downtown Miami.

Been to InterContinental Miami? Share your experiences!