“Not the best experience” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Not the best experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We booked this hotel for a change of pace, we normally stay at the Holiday Inn Biscayne Bay before we cruise out of Miami but looked forward to our stay at the Intercontinental. Prior to arriving I read that a guest had been charged $100 to be able to check in early and when I booked back in the Fall I was told that early check in wasn't a problem and that was important since our flight arrived at 11am. I wanted to double check so I emailed the hotel directly and my email was forwarded from Eduardo to Stephanie R and this was the response "We can put a request on your reservation for early check in without any extra fee at 12pm." Let me start by saying I completely understand that this response was not a guarantee of an early check in.

We arrived via an airport shuttle and the employees out front of the hotel were amazing, they were quick and efficient. We went to the check in desk and were told we were eligible for an upgrade to Club Level, this would be $27 and included a room on the 27th floor or higher/access to the evening cocktail hour and breakfast in the morning both held on Floor 29, it sounded great so we accepted. We were told our room wasn't "quite ready" and they provided us a card to utilize for access to the Club Level offerings, they also included a sheet detailing the places within the hotel that would offer a 15% discount for the "club level upgrade". The woman checking us in said our room would be on the 27th floor but the actual room # wasn't available yet, she asked for a cell # and said they should have something within the hour so we headed to the pool bar for lunch/drinks.

The bartenders at the pool bar were very nice and accommodating and the pizza and salad were delicious as well as the delicious Mojitos. After lunch we checked to see if we had received a call but we hadn't so we decided to have another drink. When we received our bill I asked about the 15% off that we were told about and the bartender said we needed something other than the "Club Level Key Card" they offered us at check in with the sheet telling us where the 15% was honored. After talking to another staff member the bartender kindly gave us the discount. Nearly two hours passed and we figured we would go down and check on the status of our room. We were told "sorry it still isn't ready but will probably be ready within a half hour, so we walked to the Starbucks in the lobby and had an iced coffee and hung out in the front lobby area for another hour,.

Now we were seeing plenty of people coming in with luggage and checking in and receiving room keys and heading on their way, we patiently waited for another 1/2 hour and I decided to go check once more since we were tired and really wanted to change so we could meet our family who were driving down. I waited while two couples checked in, both receiving room keys and heading on their way, one was actually given a room on the 27th floor. The person that helped me was so kind and apologetic, she tried very hard to get us a room. The person that helped me next said she didn't see anything in my reservation about the early check in and asked if I had the email, I said I didn't print it but knew it was from Stephanie, she said they had more than one Stephanie and asked if I knew her last name, I didn't but told her I could locate the email via my phone and pulled it up. Two people looked at it and acknowledged that they knew "Stephanie R", they proceeded to go out back and came out with a lady who introduced herself as the person who responded to my email inquiry, her first words were "I never said early check in was guaranteed and I certainly never promised you the 27th floor". I was taken aback because I never once said she promised me either, but to be told our room would be ready soon on three separate occasions was frustrating. I said you are correct, you didn't say the 27th floor and I never said you did, I said your staff said we would be on the 27th floor but an actual room hasn't be assigned, she didn't say she was sorry for coming at me with that accusation. I brought up the fact that now it's after 3 and you just offered a room on the 27th floor to someone who just walked in to check in. I was then told they were very sorry but so many guests had chosen late check out that day which was affecting the turnaround of the rooms, I patiently although quite frustrated at this point returned to the lobby and decided to sit there until 4pm which is their listed check in time. I went back up to the desk and was surprisingly told the room still wasn't ready, this was ridiculous you tell us we're eligible for an upgrade to Club Level, floor 27 with no specific room # 4 hours ago and for some reason we still can't get an assigned room at the listed check in time but plenty of other guests can.

At this point I was told they could offer me a room but it would not be Club Level but on the 26th floor, but conveniently that the floor that doesn't allow the access we paid $27 for. This whole thing was so frustrating, how is someone eligible for a room on a specific floor but not able to be accommodated? I have to say the two girls who helped me were great, I wish I had their names but during the trip I lost the paper I wrote them down on. The hotel was beautiful and the majority of staff we encountered were great however the process of checking in was a nightmare I would not want to experience again. I think the whole situation was poorly handled, then the last thing they said was "we're not going to charge you for the Club Level and the room we do have for you has a King sized bed and a great view of the bay, well thanks for that since it's what I reserved to begin with. As for the Club Level perk we never would have made it to the cocktail hour since we had no time to get showered and changed and the breakfast certainly wasn't worth the huge perk they made the upgrade to Club Level seem.

Next time we'll reserve the Holiday Inn where we paid less and were treated so much better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Irish68Boston,

I thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel and for taking the time to write a review about your experience. I am so sorry to see you did not fully enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the pleasure of being of service to you again should your travels bring you back to Miami.

Adrian D.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed here for only one night, but I wish it had been a week. Upon arriving, I was greeted by the valet and was stunned by the beautiful lobby. I was checked in by Amber at the front desk and she was amazing! My room overlooked the ocean and the room was AMAZING! Seperate bath and shower and modern appliances in the room. Spend the extra money and get the club level access. I was able to enjoy free cocktails and free business centre services. I will be back !!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for club level
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear neveradullmoment87,

We wish you would have stayed here for a week too. Thank you for the amazing comments about our beautiful lobby, outstanding staff and luxurious accommodations. Thank you for the recommendation about the Club InterContinental Lounge; it truly is an oasis within paradise and one not to be missed. We are so thrilled that you had the opportunity to enjoy all of our amenities on your short stay. We look forward to welcoming you back for another great stay; next time we hope it'll be a longer one.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed here for two days for a meeting in town. Seeing that I am a gold (and probably previously a Platinum) member of Priority Club, I was upgraded to a suite on 31st floor. Not the most exciting suite but nonetheless very "efficient" and very comfortable.with a great view. Teh staff are very friendly and efficient. Love the ambient Latin music in teh lobby too.

Room Tip: Ask for a view towards the harbour.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear ChiFT,

Thank you for sharing you comments with us. We are glad that you are a Priority Club Rewards member and that you enjoyed the perks of the membership which include complimentary upgrades. We agree, the views are great and the guestrooms, extremely comfortable. Also, thank you for the comments about our friendly and efficient staff and exciting ambiance. We look forward to welcoming you back for another great experience soon, whether for business or pleasure.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Family of 4. Stayed there for 3 nights from April 27. Got the room from Hotwire so price was very good. Paid $36 for valet parking the first night but found a cheap lot the next day by the Bayside Market (5 to 10 minutes walk from hotel) for only $10 for 24 hours. The second night was only $5 which is their normal weekday price. The lot is called Bayside Lot 55 which is between the market and the mariner. Prepayment is required and there is no in and out privilege.
There is also a parking lot right in front of the hotel at $2 an hour but you can only park there for a maximum of 5 hours.
Location of hotel is good as there is a park right in front and the Metromover station is only half a block away. McDonalds and 7-Eleven are also within 2 or 3 blocks.
Beds were comfortable; bathroom is big although it is odd to see the closet inside the bathroom.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Rick L,

Thank you for the detailed review. Overnight valet parking is $36, but as you mentioned, there is alternate parking at varying price points in the surrounding area. Thank you for the compliments on our appropriately appointed guestrooms and luxe amenities. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next trip to our vibrant city.
South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The stay at the InterContinental-Miami Hotel was a great wonderful experience and a super super awesome birthday gift for my wife. She and the family enjoyed the stay. We will like to thank Mr. Rosello Chief Concierge for the excellent service in expediting the reservation for our stay at the Intercontinental. This hotel has professional staff and service. Highly recommend... On behalf of myself and family.

Room Tip: The views from the suite are breath takeing!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear anibal c,

Thank you for the excellent comments. Happy belated birthday! We are so thrilled that you spent one of life's memorable moments with us and even more ecstatic that we provided a wonderful experience. Indeed, Rosello is one of our star team members, always on hand to provide a great InterContinental experience. Again, we thank you for your great remarks; we value them as a gift. We look forward to welcoming you back again and again. We encourage you to reach out to us personally on your next visit to our city.
Clinton, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed the night before our cruise and the staff was wonderful. When we checked in Yessica took great care of us and upgraded our room when we told her it was our anniversary. Nice little park outside the hotel with a short walk to restaurants. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear jenniferjmoats,

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your entire pre-cruise stay with us. It truly is the perfect way to kick off any vacation. We will make sure to let our entire staff know that they contributed to a memorable experience. We are glad to know that you will return and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel is well-located near Brickell Key and the AA Arena--where the Heat play-- and many other attractions, restaurants, shopping and just a short ride to the causeway to Miami Beach. The lobby is large and ultra modern with an active bar and restaurant. Our room was large and well-furnished; bathroom shower had two massage water heads and the closet was conveniently located in the bathroom area. Great views from the 25th floor. There were plenty of staff members around the hotel to help with directions to locations or to answer questions. Definitely a good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear RichardLBrown,

Wow, thank you for the fantastic review. We love reading comments like yours, from the prime location to the comfortable guestrooms and friendly staff. We love treating all of our guests like VIPs and we are especially glad that you noticed. Indeed, the views from our guestrooms are amazing. It is so easy to waste the day watching the views from our panoramic guestroom windows. We will make sure to let our entire staff know that they contributed to a memorable stay. We hope that you will be back soon and look forward to being your choice hotel on future trips to Miami.

Been to InterContinental Miami? Share your experiences!