“Fun, Contemporary Hotel in Downtown” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, CA
“Fun, Contemporary Hotel in Downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Admittedly, we are Starwood devotees. So getting us to try a property not in the Starwood family is a little hard. But when looking for hotels in Miami to stay at the night before our cruise, the only Starwood hotels were in South Beach or further north. So we went with the InterContinental based upon recommendations and its close location to the port. Upon arrival, we were very happy by the hip vibe of the hotel, reminiscent of W Hotels, which is what we are used to. The bell staff was eager to greet us and assist us with our huge pieces of luggage. Yes, the front desk staff were a little standoffish, but efficient. This is beautiful property, with relaxing mood lighting, techno music and large rooms. It was all very W Hotel / Virgin America, and we really appreciated the attempts to make this property "the" place to hang out in the city. We couldn't have asked for more comfortable rooms - okay, maybe more comfy pillows - but, overall, the layout and amenities were more than we expected. Room service was delivered by a friendly server and the food was really tasty. For lunch on Day 2, we went to Toro Toro, the hotel's lobby dining venue. It is a beautifully designed space, showcasing Latin American cuisine. Alright, so we weren't too crazy about the menu (nothing really sounded appetizing) and the actual food was mediocre. But food is so subjective, I really can't ding the hotel for this. The only really sour spot was the rude concierge, who oddly acted annoyed and bothered that I asked for directions to the hotel's gym - maybe because there wasn't a tip or commission in it for him. But I was really taken aback by his bad attitude due to a simple request. Check out at the front desk took awhile, but the friendly bell staff whisked our bags to our waiting car. I will be back in Miami later this year for another cruise, and will definitely be booking again with this great, sophisticated property. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Michael_SD,

Thank you for sharing your comments. Welcome to the InterContinental Hotels Group family! We are glad to know that you enjoyed your experience with us and even more thrilled to know that you will return on your next trip to Miami. Thank you for all of the compliments on the modern updates to our hotel; we recently completed a $30 million renovation and the upgrades are extremely cool. Our #1 priority is to provide a modern and techie ambiance with top notch service. We are disappointed to know that the front desk staff and concierge were not up to par. We will make sure to address these inconveniences with the respective departments. Thankfully, we are glad to read that the bell staff was attentive, efficient and friendly. We look forward to welcoming you back later this year. We highly suggest extending your trip a few days, as any stay at our hotel is a great way to kick off or wind down a vacation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed here 4/12/13 for one night before our cruise. Booked three rooms for my group. Everyone was impressed as soon we pulled up to the hotel. Hotel was very clean, staff was friendly and helpful. We arrived around noon and was able to check in and go straight to our rooms. Our room was very comfortable. Hotel is located in a great location. We were able to walk to the Bayside Market Place about ten minutes away, that has many places to eat and shop. Also close to the cruise port which we could see from the hotel, five minute cab ride. I like staying here because the hotel was with walking distance of everything, plus South Beach was only ten minutes away. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Sign up for the Priority Club and you will stay on a club floor. Corner rooms towards the bay have a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear prgriffin9,

Wow, we love reading reviews like yours. We are so glad to have surpassed your expectations. Indeed, our hotel is located in a great location. Located in the heart of downtown Miami, it is easy to visit many of the area's top attractions by simply walking there. Bayside Marketplace is a favorite place to visit. And it is the ideal spot for cruise travelers as the Port of Miami is also located nearby. Thank you for the compliments on our comfortable guestrooms. They are among the largest in the city and the beds are so plush. We look forward to being your choice hotel on future trips to Miami. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

My huaband and I had a great stay at The Intercontinental Miami Hotel. I was told they had a major renovation and it is beautiful. The staff was really nice and accommodating to us. The outside bar has great mojitos. The room was clean and we had a great view of the intercostal water. I will definately stay here again and recommend it to my friends

• Stayed April 2013
Dear JamaicanChica22,

Thank you for the great review and the compliments on the new touches to the hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your entire experience at the InterContinental Miami. Indeed, the mojitos at Blue Water Restaurant are among the best kept secrets in town and you can't beat the views. Lastly, thank you for the recommendation. We are so thrilled to know that you will be back and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed for only two nights in the hotel and wishing that our stay was longer.

Check-in was efficient. We were given a spacious and elegant room. The room was well maintained and cleaned. It rained for a couple of hours on our first day so we got the chance to explore the hotel amenities. Everything was luxurious and gorgeous. Every member of staff we came into contact with was fantastic! Superb at customer service. Always friendly and going out of their way to be helpful.

The location is great especially the BAYSIDE shopping area is just a short walk away. There is a park along the way that you can hang out too.

Will definitely come back to this hotel on our next Miami vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear vina101,

Thank you for the fantastic review. We wish your stay with us was longer, too. Indeed, we strive to provide all of our guests with a top notch customer service experience and we are glad that you noticed. It truly is the little details that make the difference. We are also glad that you had the opportunity to experience the amenities at our hotel. They truly are one a kind. And Bayside Marketplace is great too! We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next Miami vacation. We hope it's soon.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at the IC Miami one night prior to a cruise. The location is ideal for this purpose and the entire staff seemed to be aware we were there "cruising" and took care of holding our bags and getting us o the port with no hitches.
Our room overlooked the port- and looking down from 17 seemed as if we were suspended over the harbor. Really fantastic. In room all was well- bed was fine and everything was spotless. The bathroom was roomy and had nice, plush towels which I enjoyed. All staff we encountered were exceptionally nice as well- from check in to check out. The only negative I could find is (you guessed it) the wifi- slow and expensive. Oh and the neon building dancer takes away from the night time view a bit- but makes it easy to find the way back to the IC after dark!

Overall a good experience and we will probably book again next time we are in Miami- the location near the Bayside Market will keep us coming back.

Room Tip: Stay bayside, upper floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jensam98,

Thank you for the positive remarks. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at the InterContinental Miami. Indeed, our hotel is the ideal location for cruise travelers as we are located on Biscayne Bay in the heart of downtown Miami and in close proximity to the Port of Miami. It truly is the perfect way to kick off or wind down a vacation. We thank you for your comments on our exceptional staff; we strive to provide all of our guests top notch service. We will make sure to share your comments with our entire staff. Also, thank you for the compliments on our guestrooms and bathrooms. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next vacation and please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning a future stay with us.
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was here for a conference and was a bit disappointed. As far as the room itself goes it was fine, actually fairly posh, but it had a couple minor issues. The first was the almost non-existent water pressure coming out of the sink. I never bothered to report this just because I was too busy with my conference, and I was concerned that they'd ask me to move rooms which I didn't feel like doing. There was also some serious damage to the electrical socket covers that made the otherwise posh room look cheap and run down.

The internet service was ABYSMAL. I paid $17.95 for the "high speed" internet instead of the standard $11.95 in my room, and it was still painstakingly slow. There was no WiFi in the lobby. This is a business hotel in a major international business hub that was hosting a business conference AND THERE IS NO WIFI IN THE LOBBY. WHAT YEAR IS IT??? We also couldn't get WiFi in the meeting rooms. We had one room with only about 15 people in it, and when we tried to use the password we had been given we were told that the maximum number of users had already been reached. SERIOUSLY? You want to host conferences and you can't offer WiFi to more than 10 people at a time? WHAT YEAR IS IT???

Service was a mixed bag. I was going to be arriving early (9 am) and called the hotel the day before to see if that would be possible. I spoke with a hotel operator who transferred me to the concierge, who then put me on hold for several minutes. When I finally got to speak with him he told me that he was going to have to transfer me to the front desk. I was a little frustrated about being put on hold for that long only to be told that the person for whom I was holding couldn't actually help me, so I asked the concierge if he was at least transferring me to the right person so that I wouldn't have to wait on hold again unnecessarily. When I was finally transferred I wound up speaking with someone who was rude, unhelpful, busy and flustered. She barely let me ask any questions and kept interrupting me and telling me that there was nothing that she could do and that I'd have to just come by the following day and request the early check-in that day. I was so taken aback by her complete lack of professionalism that I told her that I found her attitude incompatible with the InterContinental brand. She began yelling at me and told me that I was the one being rude and that she had been told by the concierge who transferred me to her that I was yelling at him, which I never did. I asked to be transferred back to the concierge, and then asked him if I had yelled him at all. He said that I hadn't and that there had been a misunderstanding. His name was Mauricio, and he was much more polite. He also told me that when I came back the next day to check in that I should either ask for him or Celine at the front desk. I did, and was happy to find out that my early check-in was indeed available, but the bad taste from the other woman at the front desk (along with the virtually non-existent slow WiFi and not-quite-up-to-par room facilities) is unfortunately what I'm going to remember about this stay. I should also say that while the servers at the restaurant (Toro Toro) were extremely friendly, the servers at the bar didn't smile once.

In contrast, I had stayed the previous night at the Epic Hotel around the corner, and as would be expected from a Kimpton property, the service was simply outstanding. Unlike the InterContinental, Epic was more than helpful with my early check-in request and the entire staff's attitude from check-in to check-out was top notch.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear DoctorLogistics,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are sorry to hear that your stay was short of exceptional and that we did not meet your expectations. Please know that we take comments like yours seriously and that we have addressed them with our staff to ensure that these types of experiences do not occur again. At the moment, we do charge a fee for Internet access, but it is available at two price points and connectivity speeds. Again, we will make sure to share your comments about the inconveniences you experienced with the Internet with our IT department. We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a stellar InterContinental Miami experience and please let us know if we may be of any assistance in planning a future stay with us.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Unfortunately, we only stayed here one night, just wish that it could have been longer.
Check-in was excellent, friendly and efficient. We were given a lovely room with a fantastic view of Miami port, beach and Biscayne Bay.
The room was very spacious, luxurious and well maintained and cleaned. The bathroom was far better than most hotels with its own walk-in shower with a double head. I could have stayed in the room all day just enjoying the wonderful view.
Every member of staff we came into contact with was superb especially the concierge from Haiti. He was particularly friendly and stored our bags for us while we took a cruise round the bay.
The swimming pool is the only facility which is a bit disappointing as it is overshadowed by neighbouring buildings and so does not receive much sunlight.
The location is great, right next to the monorail and bus stop for buses to Miami Beach and all over the city. Bayside shopping area is just a short walk away.
I used to stay here on business many years ago and am pleased to see that that this hotel has just got better and better over the years.

Room Tip: High floors for the best views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear heb999,

Thank you for the excellent review. A stay at our hotel is never too short and we are glad that you enjoyed your mini-vacation with us. Indeed, the location is great as we are close to many of the area's top attractions as well as ample transportation options. Thank you for the compliments on our friendly and efficient staff and spacious and luxurious guestrooms. We will only continue to get better and better. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to our vibrant city.

Been to InterContinental Miami? Share your experiences!