“Gorgeous Hotel, nice pool, poor checkout experience” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Gorgeous Hotel, nice pool, poor checkout experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed over the night before a cruise as hotel is very close to the Port, could even see our cruise ship in the morning. Very striking lobby, rooms nice but not large. Very convenient to Downtown Miami. View from rooms are spectacular. Had a drink at the bar at the pool which is very nice. Unfortunately, we were there on a sunny but for Miami, record cold day. Had a nice dinner at the Restaurant, Toro Toro. One troubling note, called for bags to be picked up three times over 45 minutes and finally had to drag our bags down to the lobby. Desk manager was very accomodating as was bell service manager when I complained. Rates are on the high side but recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear 968er,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us, but disappointed that it did not surpass your expectations. Indeed, our guestroom views are spectacular and we are glad that you had the opportunity to indulge in them. We are also glad that you had the opportunity to visit Toro Toro, the newest and tastiest addition to our repertoire. We thank you for sharing your comments about the front desk staff and we will make sure to share them with the appropriate individuals to ensure that this does not occur again. We look forward to providing you with another great Miami experience soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wheaton, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My Mom and I stayed here just one night prior to our cruise departing the next day. The bellboy was very eager to grab our bags (in fact so much so, I don't recall being asked if we wanted help?) but being we were officially on vacation, we let him take them..although our bags didn't make it up to our room for about 15 min after WE got up there...and we checked in at 11 pm..no big thing..room had a nice view of the cruise terminal (we could see out ship even!) and the bathroom was quite luxurious-very big and the room itself was big enough, but not nearly as "luxurious" in feel-it seemed kind of "plain" but I got a $200 hotwire (which is ridiculous but for Miami, this was the best rate I could find) I was going to use the Fitness Center but being it was an extra charge, I didn't think it would be worth it..but I did use the outdoor rooftop pool-even though it was a bit chilly, I wanted to get a few laps in-and I did! what a great pool! It didn't hurt that I had it to myself but it was clearly well maintained and kind of warm for lap swimming but I appreciated being to exercise a bit before the cruise eating ;) Negative: do NOT remove the mini bar items AT ALL if you are not consuming them! I removed a couple of bottles to chill my own water, and then replaced the items before we left the next day..and I was charged for those items. Which was very strange since housekeeping doesn't come in until after we check-out..but as it turns out the mini bar is on some type of electronic sensor shelving system or something-because I emailed the hotel after being charged-and they corrected it-but told me about the 'automatic charging' system. Apparently they don't want you using their frige for personal chilling-what's the big deal? Sometimes the "big hotels" forget about the basic room amenities that guests would like-like a min-frige! There is pretty nice walking path that begins around the back of the hotel and circles around-nice for a walk, stroller walk, or a jog so that was a nice plus..but I probably wouldn't stay here again if in the area..it is mainly a residential area and a very congested area. Very close to the cruise terminal-about 5 min drive so I believe this is, in fact, the big draw for some staying here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear ProfLayton,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to know that you enjoyed the view from your room and our location suited your needs. Your additional comments have been noted and rest assured this will be forwarded to appropriate departments to consider for further enhancements needed at our property.

Again, many thanks for the candid feedback and I hope we get the chance to host you again soon.

Regards,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Clearwater, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We travel to Miami with our family of six (four teenagers) quite frequently because our son is a football recruit. We've stayed at many different four star hotels in the Brickell, Coral Gables and Coconut Grove areas and have never had such a great experience until we came back to the Intercontinental. We brought the kids here about 4 years ago to attend the boat show and it was incredible then, but since that time the hotel has gone through a multi-million dollar make-over. It's incredibly elegant and tastefully decorated. Because of the outstanding service we have received, the high end, spacious rooms and bathrooms and the location, (within walking distance to the Heat game last night,) we are planning to make this hotel our second home in Miami. Our son just committed to play football at the U, so my husband and I wanted to make this trip special for him. He contacted a rooms manager, Batuhan, and he gracefully handled every request we had to make this stay memorable for our family. He even left a personalized card congratulating our son in his room for him! After our first night here, he called to make sure everything met our expectations. From the valet to the doorman and the front desk clerk, everyone here has been diligent in providing the excellent customer service one would expect from a five star hotel. We can't wait to try Toro Toro tonight! If you are looking to book in Miami, book here!

• Stayed April 2013
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear LynnGibb,

Congratulations on your son's achievement and we are so thrilled that we were able to make your experience extra special. We strive to provide all of our guests with a true VIP experience and we are glad to have surpassed your expectations. We are also glad that you enjoyed our comfortable guestrooms and courteous staff. We truly hope that you enjoy your dining experience at Toro Toro. It is one of downtown Miami's newest hot spots and you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Again, we thank you for the compliments and the recommendation. We look forward to providing many more wonderful stays and please let us know how we can make your next vacation equally memorable.
Workington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

One night stay prior to a Caribbean cruise was very nice but like most big hotels it was slightly impersonnel, because we had had a long flight we decided just to have a few drinks and a light snack in the bar area, the food and drink was very nice but very expensive.
The area known as 'Bayside' which has shopping and beautiful restaurants was just a short walk away and would have been our choice if we go back.
I knew that the hotel was expensive because I booked it through their own website but for the price we paid I would have expected at least free Wi-Fi in the rooms and public areas but it was only available at the outdoor pool area which isn't much good when its dark.
The room was large and very comfortable with a nice bathroom, the breakfast was very good and on the whole I would probably stay again when iv'e saved up enough for the outrageous Miami prices which usually have a 20% tip 'for our convenience' attached.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jakeylad,

Thank you for the review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, but disappointed that it did not fully meet your expectations. We will make sure to review your issues with our entire staff to ensure that your next guest experience surpasses your expectations. We are glad that you had the opportunity to explore our vibrant city. Bayside Marketplace is located adjacent to the hotel and a great place to enjoy during leisure time. Indeed, the hotel is also ideal for cruise travelers as we are located in close proximity to the Port of Miami and a great way to kick off any vacation. At the moment, we do charge a fee for access to the internet, but it is available at two price points and connectivity speeds. We hope that you will stay with us again on your next trip to Miami.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed at the intercontinental for few days this time. I was impressed with the new menu and fast service at Toro Toro. The restaurant is great for client meetings, great food and service. Rodrigo took care of us on my last visit to the restaurant. The service was perfect worth mentioning, the food came on time and Rodrigo was very pleasant and accommodating to our client’s requests. The hotel is in great location within walking distance to Bayside, and across the street you can take a mover (free train) that will take you around town for free, including to the Miami arena.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Flora G,

Thank you for the great comments. We are so glad that you enjoyed your experience at the InterContinental Miami and that you had the opportunity to visit Toro Toro during your stay. We will make sure to let the entire Toro Toro team know that they contributed to a great dining experience. Indeed, the hotel is located in the heart of downtown Miami and close to many of the area's top attractions and choice dining and shopping, along with ample transportation. Thank you for the recommendation on the Metromover, it's a great option for exploring the downtown area for free. We love reading reviews like yours as they emphasize the great values instilled in our team members and we will continue doing so in order to provide excellent service experiences for all of our future guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and please let us know if we may be of any assistance in planning a future stay at our hotel.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was there with co-workers for lunch. The food was both delicious and had a beautiful presentation. I enjoyed every minute. Rodrigo made our lunch very special taking the time to explain every dish with a smile. I highly recommend it!

Lucy Garcia
Citi

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lucy G,

Thank you for reviewing Toro Toro Restaurant & Bar. Located in the heart of the InterContinental Miami's lobby, the restaurant is great for celebrating any type of occasion from lunch to happy hour and everything in between. Finally, thank you for the recommendation. We look forward to providing a great meal or happy hour soon. We also highly recommend our 'Brunch with Bravado', available Saturdays and Sundays from 11:30 am - 3 pm.
Warrenton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was my first visit to the hotel and WOW! I was very impressed. The service was top notch - all of my interactions with the valet, bellmen, front desk, club lounge, private dining, housekeeping were efficient and professional. My room had an incredible view of the water and was very functional and spacious. The bathrooms are huge! I really appreciated having shelves and ample counter-space for all of my items. Finally, the InterContinental Club Lounge is ideal. The breakfast and evening reception food & beverage presentations were top notch. The setting was comfortable and service attentive. I was traveling on business but would have been very satisfied as a leisure traveler too!

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear JodiL702,

Thank you for the fantastic review and the great compliments on our top notch service-oriented team. We are so glad that you had the opportunity to visit the Club InterContinental Lounge. It truly is an oasis within paradise; the perfect place to rest after a long day of shopping or business meetings. The Club staff is exceptional and we will make sure to share your comments with them. Indeed, the hotel is great for business and leisure travelers alike; we have something for everyone. We look forward to being your choice hotel on future trips to Miami and look forward to welcoming you back soon, no matter if it is for business or pleasure.

Been to InterContinental Miami? Share your experiences!