“Close to Cruise Port -” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 130 hotels in Miami
Michigan
“Close to Cruise Port -”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This hotel is expensive. $300 with taxes. It is very close to Port of Miami and walkable to Bayside Market. Breakfast buffet was $25. pp but it was best buffet that I ever had. Our server Georgina was outstanding. Went to heated rooftop pool. Extra charge $15.00 to use workout facility.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Rieba,

Thank you for your comments. The InterContinental Miami is the perfect hotel for cruise travelers as it is located on Biscayne Bay in close proximity to the Port of Miami. It is also near many of the area's top attractions. We will make sure to let Georgina know that she contributed to an outstanding experience. At the moment, we do charge a fee for usage of the fitness facilities, but thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Miami.

2,453 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Polish first
New England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights of a vacation, before heading down to the Keys to continue the vacation. I travel extensively for work domestically and internationally, and occasionally for vacation, both domestically and internationally.

Other guests seemed to be on their way to starting cruises (mostly families and elderly guests), or working professionals attending one of several conferences taking place at the hotel during my stay.

The hotel common spaces are beautiful.

Front desk staff was friendly and professional.

The location is convenient for walking around the area.

The restaurant ("Toro Toro") isn't cheap, but is one of (if not the very) best hotel restaurant I've ever eaten at, and the bar there is quite good, as well. All the restaurant staff seemed quite new to the restaurant or maybe even the industry. The ambiance is modern and somewhat romantic, but much louder in the evenings than one would expect at the price point.

The hotel wifi is expensive without Priority Club elite status.

I visited the Starbucks in the lobby twice, and received very poor (slow and unprofessional) service each time.

My room, a "king deluxe" was well appointed, refreshed, and clean. The bed was of average comfort. The TV was large and had all standard ports for connecting my laptop and so on. The iPod dock isn't compatible with the iPhone 5, but had a standard auxiliary jack. The sound quality was very poor. The bathroom was new, but weak when compared to a designer hotel bathroom.

The in-room mini-bar has automatically triggering sensors, and documentation in the room forbids the use of the fridge for person use. It notes that for $25, the staff will empty the mini-mini bar and allow personal use of it.

Two of the three sides of this hotel are covered in multicolored LED lights, which display James Bond style dancing female silhouettes over 100 feet tall. Odd, but maybe fun, and certainly unique. I'll upload a photo of this.

Parking is very expensive, at $35/night. Leaving a bag with the hotel after checkout is $1 per day per bag, and the bags are strictly counted. Hotel staff were not helpful in answering my questions about alternative local (public or otherwise) parking.

They gum is huge, well appointed, and beautiful, but costs $15 per person per day. This is incredibly expensive if you commonly use hotel gyms, which are almost always completely free. Imagine staying for two nights with two people and each of you using the gym once per day: add $90 to your bill! I would have been more receptive to paying $15 per room per stay, or even per room per day.

The pool is outdoor only and has no hot tub. The poolside bar is just as expensive as the lobby bar, and even just a small soft drink is over $4, and gratuity is automatically added to that.

Finally, don't expect much benefit from Priority Club (IHG) elite status. I have the highest level status (Platinum), and received only some coupons for the spa and bar, which weren't worth much, and wasn't given access to the lounge. Apparently the status did get me upgraded to a "deluxe" room with a bay view (looking out towards the cruise ships and Miami beach), rather than a standard room and a city view, and did provide for free wifi access.

The reason for my overall rating of a 3 rather than a 5, is only due to the following factors:

- My feeling of poor recognition of elite status (see my notes above)

- My feeling of being "nickeled-and-dimed" (see my notes above about the gym cost, parking cost, poolside bar costs, mini-bar for personal use costs, and wifi use cost if you don't have Priority Club elite status)

On the grounds of the two points above, for my next stay in the Miami area at an IHG property, I'll go back to the Z Ocean hotel in South Beach, which was similarly priced at the time of my stay, but does have much more limited availability due to its smaller size.

• Stayed January 2013
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear vermonter07,

Thank you for the detailed review. We love hearing from avid travelers. Thank you for the compliments on our look. We are so glad that you enjoyed your experience at Toro Toro. The restaurant is new and modern, offering the tastiest Pan Latin samplings and crafted cocktails in an trendy atmosphere. At the moment we do charge a fee for Wi-Fi and access to the fitness facilities, but we thank you for your comments. Valet parking is $36/night, but it is comparable to other downtown price points and there are other parking options available nearby. Please know that we take all of your comments seriously and we will share them with our staff in order to improve the overall guest experience. We hope that you will consider us again on your next trip to Miami. We look forward to welcoming you back to our home and providing you with a signature InterContinental experience.
Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I was not really familiar with the InterContinental brand prior to my stay, having mainly decided on this hotel due to the proximity of the cruise port (as I had a cruise the next day). It was also easy to get there from the airport by train, as the Metromover stop is very close to the hotel (tip: the hotel website doesn't do such a good job of explaining how to get there by rail. From the airport, get the Metrorail to Government Center Station ($2) and change to the free Metromover and head to Bayfront Park on the Inner Loop (aka Downtown loop).

First off, the hotel looks great from the outside. Very impressive building, right by the Bay, and adjacent to the lovely Bayfront Park where a walk any time of day and night is recommended. Also, at night, there's a pretty impressive visual display on the outside of the hotel ... check it out!

When I arrived at the hotel, I was surprised by the huge lobby area, which looks very luxurious and opulent, if a wee bit cold perhaps. The lobby area, aside from a bar and such, also has its own Starbucks, although oddly it was closed at the time (middle of the afternoon).

I had a room on the 30th floor with a huge window, offering a great view of Biscayne Bay and the cruise ships. See picture. The room itself was also rather spacious, and felt very modern and high-end. In fact, the bathroom had a tub and a separate shower which you rarely see. The bathroom was quite gorgeous actually.

Granted, the carpeting in the room and some of the decor was not the prettiest, but overall the room still had a nice look and feel to it.

The room featured a stocked mini-bar (without room for your own stuff), snacks, and a high end Keurig coffee maker, 24/7 room service and several other amenities.

I feel compelled to mention that the large flat screen TV featured over 40 channels, and the picture quality was quite exceptional. You also had access to pay per view movies, including brand new features such as Flight and Skyfall.

Another very cool thing I discovered upon checking in was that I had access to the Club Lounge on floor 29 with a complimentary breakfast. There was even a fridge with free drinks (soda, beer, wine etc.) Quite impressive.

From the hotel, it's only a short walk to the marketplace and the American Airlines arena. It's a short drive from the cruise ships, and you have the Metromover close by to get around downtown. The beaches is a bit of a distance, however, but there's a couple of bus lines close by that go straight into South Beach.

Considering the relatively low cost of a bay-view room (at least compared to the expensive South Beach hotels), you get an exceptional hotel experience - good service, beautiful and spacious rooms, great views, a wealth of amenities and many options on site (spa service, pool, bars etc.). I only stayed for one night so I didn't get a chance to explore all of what the hotel had to offer. However, from what I did see and try, I would not hesitate to highly recommend this amazing hotel, and I hope to return for a longer stay sometime.

Room Tip: Get a room on a top floor that includes access to the club level - and definitely opt for a room wit...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Rasmus H,

Thank you for the detailed review and the recommendation. Welcome to the world of InterContinental! We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your accommodations. Thank you for the compliments on our new look. We agree, the new technological touches are really cool and modern. Indeed, our hotel is ideal for cruise travelers as we are located in close proximity to the Port of Miami. We are also glad that you had a chance to experience some of the sights and sounds of our city before your travels. The Club InterContinental Lounge is one of our best kept secrets. Perched on the 29th floor overlooking downtown Miami, it is an oasis within paradise. Again, we thank you for your comments. We look forward to being your hotel of choice in Miami and around the world, too.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night before heading out on a cruise. I didn't check to see what make the mattress was but what a great night's sleep. Staff was friendly and helpful. Loved the decor with annever changing palet of colours in the lobby and the outside of the hotel thanks to led lights.

Dear Guy B,

Thank you for the great review and the compliments on our staff. Indeed, they are extremely friendly and helpful. We strive to provide exceptional service to all of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Miami.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Our firm uses the Hotel InterContinental for our client meetings and VIP stays. On many occasions we have scheduled meetings at the very last minute and I can honestly write that the hotel staff has always gone above and beyond to accommodate our difficult request. The new remodeled rooms are very roomy with great views of the City/Miami River/Biscayne Bay. The new restaurant (Toro, Toro) and bar are great for hosting clients. The Valet service is very efficient and they have on site taxi service for those last minute runs to the Miami or Ft. Lauderdale airports.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mike A,

Thank you for the excellent comments. We are thrilled to know that we are your company's hotel of choice for client meetings and VIP stays. We treat all of our guests like VIPs and we are glad that you noticed. Indeed, our guestrooms are spacious and the views are magnificent, whether they are city or harbor view. We look forward to servicing many more of your client events and please let us know if we may be of any assistance in planning future meetings or booking reservations.
Dayton, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I was in Miami and going on a 7 days cruise and a friend who had gone on the same cruise told that I should stop by the Intercontinental Hotel for lunch. Not knowing much about the hotel, I called and spoke with Kerriann, who was really pleasant and helpful on the phone. She told me that the hotel had a new restaurant called Toro Toro. The way she described it totally sold me. And when I got off the phone, I also looked up some reviews. It looked really good. I went and ate for lunch, and it was amazing! My Angus Burger was delicious... the modern look is cool and the menu is really unique. My family and I had a great lunch, and the service was excellent...
The hotel lobby was also nice and the staff seemed helpful, so I decided I will stay at the InterContinental the next time I come for a cruise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Amber H,

We are so glad that you had a chance to stop by the hotel for lunch. The angus burger is delicious! We will make sure to let the Toro Toro staff know that they contributed to a fantastic meal. Also, thank you for the compliments on our look. We look forward to being your hotel of choice on future trips to Miami and please let us know if we may personally assist you in planning any upcoming stay.
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was not impressed with my stay here... The hotel feels extremely cold and impersonal - from the decor of the rooms to the staff. It has the most ugly carpeting I have seen in my entire life! The only redeeming quality of this hotel is its view of the bay

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Ski22345,

Thank you for your comments. We are disappointed to not have met your expectations, but we are glad that you enjoyed the view from your guestroom. We agree, the views are amazing! Again, we thank you for your comments as we use them to improve future guests' experiences. We hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a great experience on your next trip to Miami.

Been to InterContinental Miami? Share your experiences!