“Amazing Location!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Canada
“Amazing Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We just got back from a Disney cruise and there couldn't have been a better location to stay - the park area for the kids, lots of shopping and tourist stops, and really a spectacularly beautiful city/harbour. The hotel was very nice and super modern, and the staff was very friendly (the Doorman Mario was a lifesaver with all sorts of information and tips that really made a huge difference to the quality of our stay in Miami). We had a room overlooking the bay and it was breathtaking. The only reasons I would not rate this hotel as excellent was with respect to the cleanliness (may have just been our room on our night) and the feeling that anything we did was an extra charge ($1.14 for local calls, expensive wi-fi) but maybe this is common for the area.

Grievances aside, they were nowhere near enough to dent our enjoyment, and I would strongly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay in downtown Miami, and especially if you are disembarking or embarking at the port of Miami (we could see our ship from the hotel window!)

Room Tip: The harbour view is unbelievable, and look up Mario if you can - he will help make Miami an awesome...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear 99_JamesB_421,

Thank you for the amazing review. We are glad that you enjoyed your accommodations and that the inconveniences you experienced did not negatively impact your stay. Indeed, we are in the best location, in close proximity to the Port of Miami (perfect for cruise travelers) and some of the area's top attractions. Bayfront Park is great for kids and adults alike. At the moment, we charge a fee for Wi-Fi, but it is available at two speeds and price points. We will make sure to let Mario know that he contributed to a magnificent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Miami soon.

2,210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last year over the new year's holiday. The hotel had just finished major refurbishment but some floors were still under renovation. I stayed in one of the renovated suite facing the bay.

I had a great time though there were some minor issues. Therefore, I made a booking almost immediately after the stay, specifically a "bay view" room.

I just checked in today and my room was upgraded to a suite. I entered the room and was speechless. A big residential building is completely blocking the view and the room does not have any view. I even feel I am being spy-camed from the building as I can clearly see people living in the building from my side. I have to keep sheers and/or blind curtains closed through a day.

I immediately complained and asked one staff member to let me speak to a manager. I was kept waiting for more than one hour and finally reached a manager on duty.

He looked sincere but in fact not at all. I even thought he was very arrogant. I was told I was upgraded to the suite for my highest loyalty status. OK, but my reservation was a "bay view" room, then why is the view downgraded due to the room upgrade? I do not understand their logic at all. I was even told that suite guests on the bay side paid for those rooms. I thought it was rather disgusting to say such a thing to a loyal customer. With my status, a room upgrade is NOT subject to availability but "guaranteed". They should have blocked a suite which can meet my view preference booked when my booking appeared in their system.

Moreover, the rude manager told that the last year the hotel was less busy due to the dated rooms but it now became very popular as the refurbishment completed. Obviously they can now sell out rooms at high rates, so are reluctant to upgrade loyal customers to popular rooms.

I was also told that they could offer a bay view "standard room" on the 17th floor, which I declined as I prefer a high floor. It is too ridiculous to write, but the manager said the view would be the same from both the 17th floor and the 32nd floor. Is it really? I found him stupid, so I have just asked him to let me know if any room with a bay view on a high floor becomes available. It is unlikely though. To be honest, a room on a higher floor was available but as he kept me waiting for more than one hour, the room was gone.

Anyway, the so-called manager was just a time-waster, not helpful at all. He just kept defending their side, never admitted their fault. He even thought the room upgrade would be subject to availability for the highest membership status.

I will not be able to see the sun rising on the new year's day, but only the residential building. I just wasted time & money, should not have even come back to Miami. The hotel has been revamped then staff are becoming arrogant. There are many better hotels on the south beach, I would strongly recommend avoiding this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear UKtrotter2007,

Thank you for your comments. Our sincerest apologies that the inconveniences you experienced led to a less than perfect stay at our hotel. Please note that we take comments like yours seriously and that the issue has been addressed with the department. We strive to offer all of our guests the VIP treatment. Should your travels bring you back to Miami, we hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with our signature InterContinental experience.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We thought this hotel was very nice. The rooms were large and clean. The staff was extremely helpful. Bayside was not as nice as I remember it being several years ago, but there were other things to do nearby. The view of the Port of Miami is incredible. We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Julie H,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your pre-cruise stay with us. Indeed, our guestrooms are some of the largest and comfiest in the area. We are also thrilled that you were able to enjoy some of the sights and sounds of our magical city. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Miami.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

A very nice place to stay, with a few exceptions; on the 22nd floor, the hot water takes 5 minutes to arrive in the shower, unless you shower in the early morning, like everyone else. The sink faucet dribbles. They won't change your bedsheets unless you ask them to. They wanted $25.00 to un-stock the mini-bar, so I requested a separate refer for medication. Then they wanted to charge me $25.00 a day for the medication-refer, and I made a stink with management, so they waived the fee for it. Upon check-in, we found the room not totally clean, and they had to send up a cleaning lady to do some extra cleaning. Otherwise, the service was very good during our 4 nite stay, and we would stay there again without question.

Room Tip: Bring your earplugs; in-room AC is not very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear tonykin,

Thank you for reviewing the InterContinental Miami. We are glad that the inconveniences you experienced were resolved in a timely manner and did not negatively impact your stay with us. We strive to provide top notch service to all of our guests and we are glad to have met your expectations. Again, thank you for your comments as we use them to better the overall guest experience. Should your travels bring you back to Miami, we hope that you will stay with us again.
St Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Valet parking only & is $38!
That being said, the rest of the experience was exceptional! The room was very spacious, as was the bathroom and everything was CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! I love that. Bathroom was ultra modern with the tub being separate from the shower. Lots of beautiful tile and glass.

We requested and received a room on the 26th floor and the view was part of the city and part of the harbor. We could see our cruise ship too. It was spectacular! Bigger windows in the design would have been preferable to make the most of that gorgeous view!

It is a short & pleasant walk along the water to a small outdoor vendor area and an inside shopping mall. Several restaurants were in that area.

Keurig coffee maker in the room with 4 choices, but no creamer or sugar. When I called guest services they did say coffee was complimentary but there would be a charge for cream & sugar. That sounded odd, so I later checked w/front desk who advised coffee creamer & sugar were complimentary also, and sent some right on up to the room.
The staff was SUPER polite and friendly! The location was perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a good view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Samsrobin,

Thank you for the exceptional review. We are glad that you enjoyed your accommodations. The InterContinental Miami is the ideal place for pre and post cruise stays as we are located in close proximity to the Port of Miami. Thank you for the compliments about our guestrooms. Indeed, cleanliness is our #1 priority and we are glad that you noticed. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Miami.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This past Sunday I was able to attend the 2012 SFCA's (South Florida Concierge Association) Annual Gala at the Hotel Intercontinental in Downtown Miami. The event began with cocktails and hors d' oeuvres at the new Toro Toro restaurant. The service was first class and the food was just as agreeable. My favorite app was the empanadas...they were amazing!!! From there we moved to the grand ballroom for dinner and dancing. The view of the bay was absolutely gorgeous and the ambience was second to none. The Chief Concierge, Eduardo Rosello, and the entire staff of the hotel really outdid themselves putting such an elegant, well planned, and more importantly, FUN event together. I would highly recommend the Hotel Intercontinental for any business trip, social event, or family vactaion.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jason G,

Thank you for the great review. We are ecstatic that you enjoyed your experience with us. Our events are always stellar. We offer a variety of ballrooms and catering packages to fit any party size and style. Thank you for the compliments about Toro Toro. We agree, the empanadas are great! We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, whether for business or pleasure.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Recently was envited and honor to experience The South Florida Concierge Association anual event. The even was hosted by Rosello Chief concierge at the newly transformed and renovaded Intercontinental. This event was OVER THE TOP from the amazing food from Toro Toro Intercontinental's newest restaurant to the shows and entertainment. It was a unforgeteable night, looking foward to next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to see the city and water ways
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Eduardo A,

Thank you for the great review. We are happy to have hosted you for the Southern Florida Concierge Association. Our hotel is the perfect place for any type of event, whether large or intimate. We strive to provide all of our guests with top notch service. We will make sure to let Rosello know that the contributed to a memorable experience. We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Been to InterContinental Miami? Share your experiences!