“Fine hotel looking just a little jaded. Lovely staff” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 130 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Fine hotel looking just a little jaded. Lovely staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

Actually writing this in the room, I cannot believe some of the coments about the place.
None of the staff have been snobby to us yet we wander around the hotel in shorts and t shirts, the pool does hit shade at noon, and hits full sun again at 3 for a while but the pool terrace and garden get sun most of the afternoon. The room is plenty large enough for us and we got an upgrade for being a PC card holder - the first night was a free night!

Drinks are what you would expect, everything else is just good value. A hotel seamstress adjusted some clothes for me and asked me if five dollars would be ok? Hell no, if it isn't worth ten it isn't worth doing!

I had 3 packages delivered to the hotel, one of them 3 weeks before we arrived (my mistake) and when we got here, the receptionist told us as soon as we booked in, seriously, the staff are just so helpful, the conscierge has a flyer and a map for everything in the area.
Hard rock cafe and bayside market are 5 minutes walk away, walk into downtown and theres the free monorail as well as walgreens, ross and other conveniences as well as some electronics stores and a few cafe's.

Really enjoying the stay

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view or a bayside view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
lichyun, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Dear Mervous,

Thank you for submitting your feedback on the Tripadvisor and taking your valuable time to write this positive comment. It is always a pleasure to receive compliments about our services from our guests, especially from valuable Priority Club members like you. We thank you for choosing InterContinental Miami as your lodging option in South Florida and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

2,472 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I stayed here one night in April while I was in Miami for work. Very pretty hotel. Very nice room. Both the room and bathroom were spacious and clean. The work station in the room was sufficient. I had a room with a partial view of the bay. I ate in the hotel restaurant because I didn't have time to venture elsewhere - - typical hotel fare but was just fine. The staff were helpful and accomodating. My only "complaint" is that it costs $15 to use the gym facility.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
lichyun, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Dear GirlUnderPar:

Thank you very much for submitting your feedback and we are truly pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I will relay your concern about the fee to our Fitness Center to our Director of Spa for future consideration.

Thank you again for choosing the InterContinental Miami and we hope there will be another opportunity to welcome you back and to serve you again.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

I booked this hotel through lastminutetravel.com as a 1 night pre cruise stay. As I always do when a book a hotel on a blind discount travel site, I came to tripadvisor to check the reviews. I noticed right away that there were 2 reviews stating that when they arrived for check-in, they were told that they would not be able to honor their reservation due to current guest staying over because their flights had been canceled. Alarms went off in my head. We had planned to drive down from the Atlanta area after lunch for my wife and kids, it's a 10 hour drive, which would put us in Miami around 10pm. After reading a review here about someone losing their reservation when they had a late check, my wife decided to take the whole day off and let the kids skip the last day of school before the start of Spring Break. I called the Hotel Intercontinental Miami on 3 separate occasions to verify our reservations for a 2 bed double. We received confirmation each time. So, we hit the road at 4 am and arrived at the Hotel InterContinental Miami at 2 pm. The hotel sits on the water front across from Bayside and we were excited, the excitement grew when I entered the beautiful lobby to check in. I stood in line and watched 2 people trying to get checked in get turned away. I over heard the guy in front of me inquiring about the nightly rate, and the clerk informed him that it was $399 per night. I paid $175 plus fees, and I thought here we go. My turn, the clerk takes my name looks at the monitor and confirms that I have a standard double, I agree. Than it happened, she excuses herself and goes into an office, she comes out 3-4 minutes later and drops the bomb. I am sorry , but due to a guest having their flight canceled we are going to move you to a different hotel, you can leave your car parked here and we will pay for a taxi to take you to the Conrad Hotel and pay for another taxi to bring you back to pick up your car in the morning. I told her that was not acceptable, so she asked me if I would like to speak with a manager. So, she is off again to the little room for another 4-5 minutes, now while I am waiting, a young woman gets checked right in, and Ms Natalie Recinos comes out to speak with me. She gives me the same spill about someone having their flight canceled and having to stay over. I explain to her that I don't just a reservation, but a pre paid reservation. If someone has their flight canceled, they should be responsible for finding other accommodations, send them to the Conrad Hotel by taxi. She stated that that's not how they do things, that they have an agreement with the airlines. I asked her, if you are booked solid and don't have any rooms, how was that young women able to check in? Ms.Natalie Recinos states the she was probably a repeat guest or something. I then state that I read on tripadvisor that at least 2 other reviewers reservations were not honored due to flight cancellations, so whats going on here? She apologized again and repeated the offer to pay for a taxi to the Conrad. I told her why would I need a taxi when I drove my own car, she explained that I could leave my car in their valet parking area over night. What sense does that make? I told her that if I was moving, then how was I going to to be compensated for my trouble. She again stated that they would pay for a taxi. What? I told her that I wanted my money refunded and the Hotel InterContinental Hotel should pay for my stay at the Conrad. Well, she agreed. She goes back into the office and brings me out an agreement between the Hotel Intercontinental Miami and the Conrad to take me in. I told her that I want the agreement to refund my nights stay in writing before I leave. She states that she couldn't do that, but she would email it to me, so I write down my email address. I let it go because by this time, my wife and kids have been sitting out in the car for 30 mins waiting for me to get us checked in. I can't prove this, but I believe that the Hotel Intercontinental Miami dishonors discount hotel reservations when there is something large going on in the city, like the tennis tournament going on that week, in order to take in guest paying the full rate. When the hotels are full they bring out the "guest flight was canceled" excuse.
Our family of five head on over to the Conrad where the lobby is on the 25th floor by the way. It is a nice art deco kind of hotel. I hand over my letter to clerk from the Hotel InterContinental Hotel, get checked in and head down to the 19th floor. The five of us walk into this tiny room with 1 king sized bed, so we thought that this was obviously an error. We head back up to the lobby to tell the clerk that she had given us a single instead of a double, easy fix we thought. Wrong, the Conrad was booked solid and all they had was a handicapped accessible single room. I asked her if she expected the five of us to sleep in one bed, she stated that she could send a roll away bed to the room and wave the $39 fee.By this time we are both livid and tired, so we acquiesce, and head back down to the room. Then I decided that surely they knew in advance that we were a party of five, so I head back up to the lobby to get a copy of that agreement letter between the Hotel Intercontinental Hotel and the Conrad Hotel for my records. I asked for a copy of that agreement from the front desk clerk, she goes into the little office, stays for about 3 mins and comes back out with a manager stating that they could not provide us with a copy. I asked why not and there was this strained look between the clerk and the manager, and they stated that they just couldn't. We decided to just let it go and go grab an early dinner. Then we found out that every time you leave the hotel parking, you have to pay!!!!
It was a very bad start to our Spring Break Cruise, but we had an absolutely wonderful cruise.
We contacted lastminutetravel.com and were told that our refund was being processed.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Gelo7,

On behalf of the management at the InterContinental Miami, I sincerely would like to apologize for the extreme inconvenience we have caused to you during your recent visit to Miami. We truly wished to have the opportunity to accommodate you, but unfortunately certain circumstance forced us to make this unfavorable decision of relocating you and your family. I am also very sorry to know that you were not well accommodated at the other property. Please rest-assured that your valuable feedback has been communicated and our General Manager is fully aware of your concern.

Although we understand that this incident is not excusable, we do hope that you would still consider us as your future accommodation option in Miami so we can gain a second opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

washington, dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

This was the first time that I had visited Miami in several years so I was pleasantly surprised about the downtown development that has gone on over the years and is still in the process of completion. With that being said, however, the Intercontinental is right downtown in the inner city in one direction and not a good area to be walking in after certain hours but in the other direction it is on the bay. I was fortunate enough to be upgraded to the bay side and the view of the harbor with the cruise ships docked was a welcoming sight.

Regardless to the view, the room was very dated and the carpeting was badly soiled in our room. The dining room was only open for breakfast and lunch--and dinner had to be taken either in the lounge area (which was very noisy earlier in the evenings) or had to be ordered through room service--forcing you if you wanted a decent dinner to go out of the hotel, whether you wanted to or not. What's more, there was never a reason given why the diningroom was not available in the evenings in spite of the fact that we were there with a big athletic conference! There was evidently a special where you could use your Priority card for a discount on the next meal you had in the lounge area. In spite of asking at the desk when I checked in, no one ever told me that I could not take advantage of that special when checking out (a no brainer since the number of times I had used the lounge area for meals was there). I was very disappointed at that but did not have time to debate while I was checking out.

I would not go back again--not even for the view from my room--there are other hotels if you want to stay in the area--with views, updated, and have full diningrooms.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Sevierville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

My wife and I stayed here in September 2010 right before going on the Norwegian Epic cruise. We decided to stay here due to it's proximity to the Port of Miami and on the water. We booked an online special and went with a club level room because of the added amenities and the higher floor. Our view was of the building next door but could still see out towards the ocean. Although an ocean view facing the Port would've been nice, I was still very pleased with the room. The room itself was very large compared to an average hotel room with lots of amenities, including a full marble bathroom. There was a large work desk that allowed me to plug my laptop in and even had a printer/fax/copier in the room. The best part was the club lounge. The two people working in there (I can't remember their names, but the gentleman that was working in there was VERY nice)! I loved the service we got in there for the afternoon tea and nighttime cocktails. I didn't expect a full open bar there, but made it enjoyable even more. The breakfast was nice, simple but plenty of food before we got on our cruise.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a nice hotel and not having to pay top dollar but getting top dollar service and amenities.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
InterContinental_MIA, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
SAC5286,
Thank you for your comments! We are delighted your stay with us exceeded expectations and that your InterContinental experience in Miami was memorable. If your travels bring you back to Miami, please let us know, we'd love to welcome you back!
New Brunswick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

My husband, son and I stayed at the Intercontinental for one night before our cruise. I chose this location because of the view, the proximity to the port and because I am a priority club member. Normally when I check into a hotel using my points, I am greeted and treated like someone important even though I am an average person!

The building itself itself is lovely with a very impressive lobby. The first thing I noticed was how agressive the bellhops are. I realize they make a living on tips, but if a lady says "no thank you" and will not let go of her bag, please step away. Do not force the bag from her hand. We received a very cold and formal greeting at check in and proceeded to our room which was lovely. The beds are cozy and the bathroom is quite large. Having worked in the hotel business, I know how hard it is to clean a room so I ignored the black finger prints which were all over the white doors. Other than that, beautiful!

Having arrived at the hotel early in the day, we decided to take a walk and grab lunch. I stopped at the front desk to ask for directions/opinions as to where we should go and received a very cold answer "just take a walk". Really. That's it? In all of Miami, I should just wander down any street? Thanks to some wonderful tourists standing by, we were guided to a restaurant/shopping mall close by.

We did get a wonderful nights rest in a very quiet room and were grateful for that. No children wandering the halls, no drunks banging on my door thinking it was their room. Peaceful.

The next morning we called the front desk to ask about a shuttle and were rudely told to take a cab. You would think a hotel THAT close to the port would offer shuttle service but apparently not. Overall our stay was nice but I expected more service. Pay attention to my child. Pay attention to ME. Next time, we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
InterContinental_MIA, Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Trudy1971:
Your feedback is very important to us, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is frustrating to not receive the service one expects and we apologize. Offering authentic experiences is a cornerstone of our mission and we have addressed the issues you faced during your stay. Please let me know when your plans will bring you back to Miami.
We hope that on your next visit to Miami you will give us the opportunity to provide you with the personalized service you expect and deserve.

Arminio Rivero, Hotel Director
Lake Zurich, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

First of all, we picked Miami because we live in the Midwest and wanted to relax and enjoy the warm weather as much as possible. Second, the Wine and Food Festival was going on in South Beach while we were there so we did not want to stay there and endure the crowds. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and the Hotel Intercontinental is celebrating theirs. I emailed the hotel about our special occasion and they upgraded us to a harborview room, delivered chocolate covered strawberries to our room and we had access to the Club Intercontinental. Very nice! Everyone at the hotel was so friendly! We were able to checkin a couple of hours early and had a later checkout on our day of departure. The room was large and comfortable with a beautiful view. We would get up in the morning and have a great breakfast at the Club which included pastries, fruit, breads, meats and cheeses, four different juices, milk, coffee, etc. Then we'd spend a couple of hours at the pool area. Quite relaxing with the plush lounges. The pool was in the shade around 12 o'clock but there was enough time to get some color on our winter white skin! Afternoons were spent at the Bayside Marketplace (sitting outside enjoying drinks) and we took a cab to South Beach. We were very pleased that we did not stay in South Beach. All the restaurants along Ocean Ave. were packed! Lincoln Rd. was more enjoyable but it was still too crowded for relaxation. We were completely satisfied with our stay at the Hotel Intercontinental!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Miami? Share your experiences!