“Enjoy my stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Miami

You added Hyatt Regency Miami to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 South East Second Ave, Miami, FL 33131-2197 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #64 of 129 Hotels in Miami
OK USA
“Enjoy my stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

The hotel is upscale suits the star level. Upon arrival and checking in the hotel the queen bed non smoking room was unavailable so, the front desk staff upgraded us to a king suite.
When we went up to up to our room. The room was just as big as one bed room apartment. The king size bed, the flat screen TV on it huge console/dresser combo. The couch and chair with coffee table. There is the office desk and couple of chairs. Separate closet and bathroom area with all fine amenities. The room was exceeded the expectation and the price that was bids on priceline website. Totally, unexpected. We loved our room with the balcony ( unaccessible ) probably due to safety issues.
They have a restaurant there but we didn't get to utilize it because, we were out of the hotel most of the time while we were there. The parking cost 12.50 each time you are in and out. I did a lot of research prior to this trip so, we didn't rent a car while we were there. Except the next day while we rented a car from Miami Airport and used it for a few hour and returned the same day. Taxi cost $21 plus we gave the driver a tip (too much tip for the attitudes that he has) so make sure you stack up some of $1 dollar bills because, we didn't have it so we ended up gave him $5. We were supposed to be on NCL Sky the next day after we returned the vehicle we took the taxi back to the hotel somewhat it cost more. I guess because, starting point was from MIA for the final cost was $29 with his tips.
The next day Taxi to the Port of Miami cost us about $15.
What we did while we were there?
We walked about 20 minutes from our hotel to the Bayside Market. It was really not that bad to walk at all. Nice working out.. We enjoyed spent sometime at the Bayside. More like tourist trap but I loved shopping so I won't mind.
When we finish we were walking back and taking some short cut downtown miami. It is not a good option and we didn't know this until we did. The off streets are not "SAFE" .. Don't walk there alone!!!! or evening when it is getting dark. The homeless, drug dealers, etc are hanging out. We saw some street working girl there, too!
We walked as fast as we could. We don't look at anything or stop anywhere just continued to walks.
Hope this help anyone who is planning to visit Miami or taking a cruise and staying any of the downtown hotel location.
Forgot to mention that they do have the transit you can use. But we are from the city that we don't have a pubic transit. So, go figure that we are not familiar with how to :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

I was attending a Meeting at the hotel and was pleasantly surprised that this Downtown Hotel had such a pleasant feeling. The staff is what made my experience so good. From the moment I arrived the person who took car and the doorman who took my bags made me feel welcome and special. Check in was neat as I used their self check in Kiosks which was simple and fast. The best part of my stay was my room, it was large with very comfortable mattress and pillows. The large flat screen TV was like being at home. The clock radio allowed me to connect my ipod ! The meeting did not include breakfast so I had the Breakfast buffet at their restaurant which had everything from cereals to cheeses to eggs and breakfast meats and so much more. Meeting or pleasure I would recommend this place!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Took our two teenaged girls with us this time for a short vacation before start of school. Girls loved the short walk to Bayside and the cigarette boat ride. They loved the shopping and the live nightly entertainment. They also found the Marshalls and Macys conveniently nearby. Husband and myself spent time in pool area. Very well maintained. Lots of towels available at all time. Breakfast at the Riverside Cafe was fantastic. Soooo much to choose from. We found that we did not need to eat again till supper time. I should also mention that we were upgraded to a junior suite because the concierge recognized us from previous stays. All in all a very pleasant experience, just like the ones past. Will definately keep returning for short vacations.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Spent some `girl` time with my friends at this hotel. We were left quite impressed with the personal service we recieved from all the staff. Winston, the doorman, was so friendly and went out of his way to find us the right taxi for where we were going. He also arranged to have the same taxi pick us up at the designated location and time. We felt very safe and secure. The chambermaid was generous with our request for extra toiletries and towels. We really liked the security feature of having to use our door card key in the elevator. We never stayed at this hotel before, but will be using it again on our next girltime getaway.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Podgorica, Montenegro
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in July.

The hotel itself is in a boring location. There's nothing to do or see after 6 pm.... Everything is closed and if you're traveling with small children, you will really be bored here!

Now, one a more SERIOUS note...
We stayed at the Regency floor and (we didn't know this nor we told upon check-in) we were allowed to eat breakfast ONLY at the regency floor. We went the first morning downstairs (regency floor breakfast ends at 9:30; downstairs breakfast is until 11) and had our breakfast only to be served a bill which we were told "Will be taken care of by the reception upon check-out...If you are on a bed&breakfast rate (as we were) this charge will be deducted from your total" So we believed.
The next morning we again went downstairs for breakfast and again were served the bill which we were FORCED to sign because nobody leaves that restaurant without signing their bill!
I asked at the reception why did we need to sign a bill for a charge we had prepaid initially... We paid a substantial amount of money beforehand for bed and breakfast and were curious why we needed to authorize a charge for eating breakfast only to be "deducted from our total upon checkout."
The reception tried to convince us that we were informed of the rules upon check in (which we were not...they rushed to check us in, as were checking in a whole group of convention-attendees and didn't have time to speak to us for longer than 2 minutes)... He also said we were allowed to have breakfast only at the regency floor but when I explained that were were honestly not aware of this, the reception guy told us he would annul the charge and we would not be charge for these two breakfast days!

We checked out the day after, paid for our parking ($30 a day for a total of 90) and were given a copy that all is paid for (only the $90) and we were ready to leave.

When I arrived home I checked our credit card statement to find:
a. Charge of $90 on 10/07 (we checked out on 9/07)
b. Charge of $65 on 12/07 (WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?!)

My only explanation is that the breakfast room doesn't coordinate ANYTHING with the reception so they make their own charges....or reception is ignorant enough and the people working there don't share with each other their decisions...

All in all, I have written a complaint to Hyatt. I am very disappointed by the misuse of my credit card and most importantly by splitting the charges in 2 separate payments on 2 separate days thinking we would not notice them and would let them pass... Whatever!

So, for all you fellow travelers out there... Chose a different hotel... This one is way dated, far from everything and there's MANY more nice ones out there for the same price!

Stay well!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

A convention hotel with a nice downtown location. For me the tiny workout room and pool were deal killers. It was unbelievable that a huge convention hotel had two treadmills!!! The workout room is packed, cramped, and the offerings are minimal. This is not the place to go if you find either important. Most Hampton Inns and other "value" hotels have much nicer pools and gyms.

Probably, my frustration with the small gym clouded everything but I found the room dark, the bathroom tiny, etc. It was disspaointing for a Hyatt. However, the location is pretty neat. It's very close to the bay, and an evening walk is pretty magical.

All in all, I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Stuttgart
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

As the title says, the location in Miami Downtown is very boring. There is just nothing really to do if you don't count the Bayside Shopping Mall. However the room prices with just around 100 $ per night very quite reasonable and the bus station going to Miami Beach is not far. Hotel itself is not exciting but this also means: nothing particulary bad. There was free Internet but it was unclear if this was temporary or is always available.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Miami? Share your experiences!