“Convenience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Miami

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Miami to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 South East Second Ave, Miami, FL 33131-2197 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #66 of 130 hotels in Miami
san francisco,ca
“Convenience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

The hotel is walking distance to Bayside (live music every nights and lots of shops and restaurant.) right by the water. Safe location to go walking late at night. Very close to metro station (right ouside of the hotel) although it doesnt travel very far. Also close to bus. Overall, the best way to get around in miami is by Taxi(about $20-$30) anywhere you want to go...The cars are super expensive to rent and also parking is a hassle...The room, bathroom and the shower could use a little remodeling but its very clean. There is a small balcony but the sliding door does not open ??!!The Club regency cont. breakfast (located on 23rd floor) which you have to pay extra for runs out before 8am (opens 6:30-9:30)!!!. If you are paying for this, better get up real early!! The gym is very small. Nice pool but no hot tub and no sauna! The breakfast buffet at the hotel cafe located in the loby is awesome!! Overall the service we received was excellent.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

1,439 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Turkish first
San Antonio, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

I stayed for one night and valeted my vehicle ($29) as you are forced to pay for parking. The next morning upon checkout, my vehicle came and the back window was smashed and all my wife's luggage was stolen! They did not call me earlier in the morning to notify me and seemed just too busy to even care and seemed surprised at the discovery though they say they do have security. I lost $1500 worth of stuff and was given $200 in emergency money and it took 4 hours to fix my broken window and ruined my planned trip down to Key West as I also had to spend four hours buying all new clothes and such. I learned from valet that parking is three/four blocks away from hotel in a city operated garage and three other cars that night also were broken into. Apparently, the hotel has little security and no cameras in the valet garage so this is a regular event as they acted like it happens a lot. I fault the hotel with lack of security, no notification of the event, and a very slow almost forced response to deal with the problem as at times I felt forgotten and unimportant as they were too busy making money to care or deal with their problem. It seemed like they just wanted me to go away, broken car and all. The regency club is average at best, with a fair breakfast but very limited refreshments during the day, and no desserts and a poor/abstract evening selection (where were the desserts and fresh fruit??). The hotel is surrounded by buildings so even a view from the 24th floor just shows views of other buildings and it is very bright at night (where was the bay view as described on the website??). The blinds in my room were broken upon checkin and were very cheap plastic ones. The regency room was spacious but very plain, and the bathroom area is very poorly designed. We ordered two food selections from the restaurant and were very underwhelmed as my cuban sandwich was dry, cold, and made very cheaply for $12 (very salty and very processed meat). My wife had chicken quesadillas and they were very small and not very good for $12 and seemed to be a half portion. Other Hyatts' serve bigger portions of this same dish and are much better and have better quality. This hotel is designed to serve convention guests so if you are not staying there free or at a reduced rate on business for a convention and have to endure this corporate hotel, just pass and run away as fast as you can. I know this hotel has a lot of guests for conventions and cruises however, it is very impersonal and very corporate and the emphasis is on numbers rather than quality and service. I am still waiting to be contacted on any type of settlement for my loss and I will bet I have already been forgotten as they barely had time for me in the moment to deal with this problem. I have stayed at about 10 other Hyatts' and this one was well below average. The general manager is new and the previous GM ran the property poorly and was very negative on the staff as told to me by the valet manager. Unless you are forced to stay here, I would stay elsewhere. The closest nice Hyatt is in Coral Gables about 10 minutes away and is 100 times better!! I was robbed. Don't be!! You have been warned and there are many other better cheaper alternatives.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

This was the worst (so-called) 5 star hotel I've stayed in. First of all, the service was so poor: I had to check in twice, the bellboys were only two and a lot of people were arriving so they were not enough and there was a long wait to bring the luggage to the rooms. If Hyatt has an agreement with cruise companies for post or pre cruise stays they should know better the amount of people arriving and the amount of employees that they'll need to accommodate them. At check-in they didn't mention anything about our breakfast being included or the late check out included in the offer I reserved directly through their website, I had to ask for that. The rooms: are old and missing some 5-star standards, like complimentary toiletries (we just had toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner, no shower gel, no bathrobe, not even a plastic shower cap), the T.V. was facing nowhere and it was impossible to turn it so it would face the bed (as guests may want to see the TV from the bed, not standing next to the desk). The gym was very small, the hotel seemed old and needs maintenance. But the worst part of it was I called the hotel 2 weeks prior to my stay to ask if I could get a package delivered on my name at the hotel, they said it was OK. I did, and when I arrived and asked about it, it took ages to find it (after being told by the front desk that the concierge was very busy to deal with my requests) and then finally on my bill they charged me 7 usd for the package storage!!!! That's crazy! especially because I have used this service in other 4 and 5 star hotels and never heard such a thing, and also because they should have informed me about this charge when I first phoned to ask. The front desk said it was because "it is a different department and the 7 usd charge serves to pay for their services", was it not enough that I payed for my room? At the end the girl at the front desk took it off my bill (as I expected) and we went away, carrying our own luggage, of course, since there were no bellboys to be seen. The only kind people were the people at the concierge desk, very helpful and always with a smile.
I had stayed in other Hyatts before and they were always good, but we are never coming back to Hyatt Regency Miami ever. There are plenty of other real 5 star hotels in Miami (and especially in the same area) that are better.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

This was an excellent hotel. The staff was very friendly, & the rooms were wonderful. Very busy, mostly suited for young adults.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Haslemere, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

I booked direct with Hyatt several months ago, so got a good deal on a club room. We were on the 24th floor with a great view of downtown and the illuminated Bank of America tower opposite.

The room look recently refurbished and the bed was very comfortable with nice linens and I thought the room colours all worked well together.

Being in a club room we made use of the lounge for breakfast and drinks during the day and found it small but well-equipped. It was nice to stop off for coffee and a cookie after getting back to the hotel late afternoon.

The hotel is within easy walk (covered) of a MetroMover station (in the Bank of America tower) which meant that we were able to explore some of the restaurants in Brickell during our two-night pre-cruise stay.

It was a good choice for a few nights and certainly much better value than staying in South Beach which we have done on four previous visits to Miami so that was not as important this time.

Although it has nothing to distinguish it from any other good chain hotel, I would happily stay there again pre-cruise.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
qns1980
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt from 11-21-09- 11-23-09 after getting a great rate on hotwire for a pre cruise trip. I was a little nervous after some of the mixed reviews on trip advisor, but the hotel and staff were great. The hotel is located downtown and very convenient to the cruise terminal, maybe a 5 minute drive. There were a lot of people checking in and there was something going on at the convention center connected to the hotel, but the staff handled everything professionally and we didn't have to wait long.

We were on the 18th floor which had a great view of the pool ( it changed colors at night) and we actually went swimming each night and the pool was never too crowded. The hotel is in walking distance of bayside marketplace, which is a place with shops, restaurants, and live music.

The walls were very thin and you have to pay to park valet is 29.00 a day, but we parked in the self parking for 12.25 a day, and there is a walk way connected to the hotel so you can easily get there. There is also a fee for the internet, we didn't use it so not sure

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Windsor, Ontario CANADA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

We booked this hotel the night before we were to leave on a cruise. The hotel was very clean with modern decor all for $98 what a value.
Located in downtown Miami and a convenient 5 minute drive to the port of Miami for you cruisers out there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Miami? Share your experiences!