“Great Hotel in the heart of Miami” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Miami

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Miami to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 South East Second Ave, Miami, FL 33131-2197 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #71 of 131 hotels in Miami
Rockville, Maryland
“Great Hotel in the heart of Miami”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Used Hotwire and got a great deal on the night before our cruise.

PROS: Location right in downtown Miami, with great views of the city (from my room). We were ~10 minutes from South Beach, the 95 exit and the Cruise terminal. The rooms were clean and the architecture inside were a little more reminiscent of a boutique property than a Hyatt. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful. We checked out and they let us sit in the bar area and eat the food we had bought there in a patio overlooking the Miami river.

CONS: Parking situation is really messed up. You could pay a fortune for valet, and on Saturday night the front was a madhouse the massive driveway was filled with cars coming or going. A lot of people waiting. You can also walk to a garage and self park. This is maybe 80 feet away, but the garage is very, very confusing plenty of walking up ramps and in the street (no sidewalks). Really bad. Still I was (dangerously) in my car and away before the valet people.

That would be all of my Cons, except Checkout was 11, our cruise boarded at 1, they let us buy lunch and sit there and held our checked bags. Staff were all lovely with tis, including the Waitstaff. Except the valet who, on the way out took our ticket for our parked badges , saw another family checking in, left us standing there, handed our tickets to a girl on the phone and raced to help the other family. Really made me mad.

Overall - I recommend it depending on the price you get. Know parking is an "issue".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

1,342 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband's company put us up at this hotel as part of a relocation --- we were moving from Miami to another city and they wanted us to be comfortable since we have two small children and all of our stuff was boxed up. The bottom line: the hotel is best suited for accommodating business travelers and conventions/meetings. It's not the place to go for leisure, especially not for a family vacation.

While the hotel itself was just okay, the staff was exceptional, especially the valet and bellhops. Housekeeping was also very good --- we requested a crib/pack 'n play for our son. When they brought it up, they placed inside linens for him to use as well as his own bath amenities, which included Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo, wash and powder. this was a nice, unexpected touch.

Here are some specific details from our visit:

The room we stayed in was large; however, the appointments in the room weren't glamorous. The bathroom area was in need of a drastic update (looked like an airport hotel bathroom) and the carpet seemed filthy. Moreover, each time you entered the room it smelled of smoke. While smoking was not permitted, someone clearly broke the rules and lit up either inside the room or outside on the balcony (the balcony overlooked concrete --- highways and buildings). We tried to eliminate the smell with Febreze and while it temporarily masked the odor, we couldn't eradicate it fully.

The location pf the hotel is pretty central in downtown Miami, but it isn't the easiest to get to since it is located on a one-way road that literally connects with the Brickell Bridge --- a drawbridge that creates major congestion when raised.

The food at the hotel was mediocre. We ordered macaroni and cheese for my son and it was served with spaghetti noodles --- a little misleading and a bit of a challenge since my son prefers the real deal macaroni elbow noodles. We also ordered a quesadilla and flatbread and it was just okay --- definitely not worth the inflated price we paid for our meal.

Last, our neighbors in the adjoining room were pretty low-rent. Around noon, my son fussed getting to sleep and cried for a few minutes. We did our best to soothe him, but my neighbors weren't very understanding. They proceeded to scream at us from across the wall and bang on our door. Luckily, we were checking out that day, otherwise I would have requested a room change since I didn't feel very safe. This speaks to the caliber of hotel guests this property attracts --- not very refined.

houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Hyatt Regency Miami is a nice choice in the heart of Miami. It is located in downtown Miami.

The good:
- the rooms are nice and clean
- front desk is nice
- valet is prompt
- plentiful food choices at reasonable prices
- Enterprise car rental on-site
- great location

The not so good
- valet $31 (typical for area)
- a good distance from beaches
- mediocre fitness room
- always seems crowded
- even though there are many elevators, they seem slow.

A decent choice for downtown Miami

New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I took a cruise from Miami to the Bahamas and needed a place to stay for a couple days leading up to the departure from port. I chose the Hyatt Regency Miami via a deal on priceline.com and LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. Now let me start by saying the price that I received was AMAZING! You can't beat $77/night, it was the fact that I checked out the hotel online and was extremely pleased by the pictures. I arrived to the hotel and was pleasantly greeted by the doorman, shared a joke or two with the front desk, saw the bar area and schemed a plot for the evening, then I head to my room. Talk about let down, my view was the back of a building, my room was tight, I didn't have a clean iron (rust stains on the bottom) and the biggest pet peeve: the shower was awkward to operate. I guess in the end I got what I paid for, but one thing I commend them for was the bed, it was MAGICAL! Not the greatest stay I've ever had but in the end it got the job done, it was inexpensive, located in a great area, and I still got to see the sites in Miami.

Room Tip: Make sure you're high up, that's what everyone told me upon checking out. Wish I'd known...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Oviedo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

First impression is what makes a good start, front desk staff Emily apologized for a short time to check in. Greeted us with a smile and warmth welcome. Valet drivers never let us waited too long whenever we needed their service! Rooms are clean, spacious, and accessible to restaurants and nearby attractions. We will definitely come back!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Greetings to you!

I will start by stating two positive observations: 1. The staff here are warm and caring and I genuinely appreciated that and 2. The location of the hotel is rather good if you need quick access to downtown businesses (corporate travelers) and the airport.

That said, there are plenty of superb hotels in downtown Miami that are dramatically better options than the Hyatt Regency. This hotel would have been current and relatively "hip" in 1993 - maybe. It is terribly out of date on so many levels that it stands in stark contrast to some of the newer hotels that are right outside the door. From popcorn ceilings to awful artwork, to overly designed carpets to the wrong choice of cleaning-agent aroma in the lobby areas....I could go on and on. Elevators often did not work, walls in the room were scuffed. All access to balconies were shut down (at least in my room the sliding door was sealed shut).

If the Hyatt had funds and just today (8/7/2013) I read in USA Today that they "surprised Wall Street" with good Q2 income, they should shut this hotel down for a year and completely re-do it. It would be money well spent.

Stay at the Epic, a Kimpton property right across the street. You'll be dramatically happier and more comfortable. My company must have a corporate rate with Hyatt and my room cost $109.00 per night, without tax. Not a bad $ amount and one has to be respectful of spending corporate resources. But, I will tell all my friends and colleagues who visit Miami never to stay at this hotel, unless not-so-sexy "retro" trips to 1993 are their thing. I will also suggest to our booking professional at the company to avoid booking people here.

Not a very good experience, overall. If "poor" is too harsh a rating, I might begrudgingly rate it "average", at the very best.

Bottom line: You have much, much, much better choices. Do not stay here.

Room Tip: IF you MUST stay here (and I advise against it) choose a higher floor, away from vending machines, e...
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have stayed at quite a number of Hyatt Hotels over the years but this one unfortunately did not meet our expectation. Paper thin walls, uncomfortable beds and smelly. This hotel needs updating desparately. Location was good and room was clean but thats it.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room near ice machines
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Regency Miami? Share your experiences!