“Staff earned the stars here” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Miami

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Miami to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 South East Second Ave, Miami, FL 33131-2197 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #64 of 129 hotels in Miami
Montague
“Staff earned the stars here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hotel has rooms that do not reflect the quality of the staff or the expectations of the brand. I agree with all of the other reviewers about the consistently helpful, gracious and kind staff. This was true from the moment the cab pulled to the front door, until I left the property. Housekeeping was especially helpful and kind regarding a problem that I had late at night in my room. Late check in was not a problem. The location is close to the airport, so the cab ride was not expensive. The food was okay to good, both in room service and in my business conference meetings. The room was very clean, but the furnishings were very plain and drab. The bed itself was quite comfortable. This hotel is nice enough for business and for stays of two or three days.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

1,431 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent three nights here. Pros and cons. Start with the pros.

Pro: staff outstanding, literally without exception. Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, accommodating, from housekeeping to concierge, managers to bellmen, and everyone in between. Even the men and women constantly sweeping and polishing and policing the public areas smiled and greeted us at all times. Concierges answered every question we had - where to go, how to get there, suggestions, info about the city and the neighborhood, etc. - cheerfully and accurately. Late one night, when we called to complain about a very noisy room next door, security staff came immediately and then checked in with us after they'd quieted down the offenders. Front desk - things moved quickly and efficiently at check-in and check-out. The man in the Business Center helped us with printer for boarding passes. Can't say enough good things about the staff.

Pro: location, depending on what you want from your stay. Not much tourist stuff to do right around the hotel, but a nice waterfront walk Bayside Market, and not far from Arsht Center for the Arts, AA Arena, other sites by cab or MetroMover. And a manageable walk to downtown Miami if you're desperate for Starbucks or CVS (we weren't, but we saw them nearby). If you're a runner, lots of places in the immediate vicinity for good views and good exercise.

A big pro: The FREE MetroMover - it's great! There's a stop connected to the hotel, so be sure to ride the MetroMover for any downtown or waterfront excursions. The clean, cheerful and FREE one- or two-car electric trains run frequently day and evening (we never waited more than five minutes for a car and usually just three or four). Everyone uses the system - tourists, students, downtown workers. Every big city should have this system.

Pro: city busses. From hotel to Miami Beach and South Beach, or to Little Havana in the other direction, you can take an expensive cab ride (expect about $50 roundtrip). But don't be afraid of the city busses. For just $2 each way, and not more than a few blocks or one or two MetroMover stops from hotel, you're on a clean, well-lit, comfortable bus to posh Lincoln Road in South Beach in 20 minutes, and for the same $2 you're at your table at wonderful Versailles Restaurant in Little Havana in a half-hour. But best to call for a cab back from Little Havana at night, as the busses run infrequently then.

So, what's the con? The hotel itself. The lobby is elegant, bright, seems recently updated. But our room, though clean and our bed comfy, was tired and drab. No full-length mirror. Windows scratched and dull. Lighting old-fashioned and not cheerful. Sink separated from beds by a divider, no wall or door, so not as much privacy as one might want.

Con: the reception area on the concierge floor. Well-staffed and the food at breakfast and evening happy hour fresh and generous. But the space is very small, limited seating, and fills up fast, especially at evening. Needs a much larger, better laid out area.

I'm torn between three stars and four. Going with four because of the outstanding staff and overall cleanliness and cheerfulness of the property. But wouldn't rush back to sleep there until they renovate the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for river-side room if you care about view. You can watch boats move up and down the Miami Riv...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It's been almost 2 months since my friend and I stayed here but I needed to write a review about our experience there. I have to say, first and foremost, the BEST part of our stay at the Hyatt was the service.

Frank, the guy outside that helped us with our bags, was the coolest and nicest employee at the Hyatt. He gathered our stuff, was telling us about the hotel, scooted us by the whole group of people waiting for an elevator and then showed us how to control the temp in our room ect. He was really down to earth, super nice and friendly and very knowledgeable about the hotel and Miami (where to eat, where to go out, ect). We even forgot our bottles of ...... in our car and they valeted it already, Frank made sure they would get it for us and within 15 minutes we had a call that they were coming up to the room to bring it to us. FIVE STARS !!

Now for the rooms, they were clean, but very outdated and kind of muggy dingy smelling. They had this weird dressing room like door right next to the bathroom and the sink was on the outside of the actual bathroom itself. The lighting was a little dark too. Not really what I expected for Miami and the Hyatt. View was really nice but we asked for a good view on the top floor, which we were accommodated for.

Overall, we were staying there for one night before going to Miami Beach for the rest of the weekend, so for it's intended purpose of staying one night it did the job. However, I would definitely recommend Hyatt updating their rooms to be a little more with Miami theme and a little less dingy looking. Also, please tell Frank Hello from the girls from NYC and that he is one of your best employees there!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here a few times, the rooms are a little dated but the rooms are very clean and very comfortable. nice large flat screen Tv and excellent QUIET air con. the bathroom and dressing area is behind cowboy style gates separating it from the main room area. The pool area is good and the restaurant is also well priced . I will stay here again...check in can be a little manic !

Room Tip: All room seem equally as good..they are all away from the lift and maids stations
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I usually do not travel in US - I have been once in NY so my comments are probably based on a different culture.
I have been in Miami in January for business purposes and stayed in Hyatt hotel for 4 nights. Location of the hotel is very good, very close to shops and restaurants. The staff of the hotel was also great - very polite and helpful.
I was dissapointed with my room. It was not clean at all and I heard the same comments from my colleagues. I had to take a phone call and the phone was full of dust! There was also a strange smell in the rooms.
Bathroom was also another problem. In case you wanna have a shower you also have to wash your hair every time as the shower is stable on the wall - I really do not know whether that's how it is in US.
Another thing that I did not like was the huge deposit they kept from my credit card - it was three times the room price.
The biggest problem for me was the cleaness, they surely need to improve that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
São Paulo,Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have just come back from a 15-night stay at the Hyatt Regecy Miami. I can say that I was not expecting too much, as I am aware of this hotel's age (been there long time ago).
Although its corridors to rooms are not impressive or fancy and not so cozy, rooms have a good size with really comfortable beds, in-room safe but no mini-bar or even an empty fridge to put your drinks in.
Staff was really friendly and helpul at all times, specially Luis from the valet parking, always with a smile, and also the front-desk people. Javier from the Concierge desk was always really nice as well.
Hyatt's location is very nice if you are going on a cruise, on business or to watch the Sony Open (tennis tournament in Key Biscayne) like I was. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get to South Beach, depending on the traffic and the same to MIA Airport. You can take a 15-minute walk to AA Arena if you are willing to watch a Miami Heat game.
Overall it was a really nice experience and I was glad I stayed at the Hyatt. Remember that this is a Hyatt REGENCY, therefore not a 5* like the Grand Hyatt you see in other places. It is a nice 4* hotel and I recommend it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
visitor70
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We spent one night here before going on a cruise. Location is great - walking distance to restaurants in downtown. Good views from the hotel as well. Kids enjoyed the pool but the water was a bit cold. Lobby is very beautiful. Rooms were good too.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Regency Miami? Share your experiences!