“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Miami

Expedia.com Booking.com
Hyatt Regency Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 South East Second Ave, Miami, FL 33131-2197 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #72 of 131 hotels in Miami
Huntsville, Alabama
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel is located down town which makes travel impossible. Unless your business is located within the hotel or walking distance, I would discourage staying at this hotel. Also, the hotel is rated a four star property on most online travel sites which is not true...at least in my opinion. The hotel is also starting to show excessive wear.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Turkish first
Turin, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

we had a 4 nights leisure stay at the end of 2012 in this hotel. Overall experience is very good. A king bed room has space enough for a couple with huge luggages. The room was quiet, bed was comfortable. Assistants at the desks were very friendly and welcoming. Althought the internet wifi service was expected to be charged with daily rates of approx 9-10 usd, the hotel sets it for free (excellent). The prepaid voucher we had for the reservation (prepaid 4 months in advance through expedia website) worked well, no problem at all. Location is convenient for getting the people mover or getting by feet to bayside market place. The hotel is conveniently located right at the highway junction to/from miami international airport. Getting to miami beech is easy through citybus transportation system. There are unfortunately not many restaurant nearby. Ross store is very close to hotel (5 minutes by walk) and other useful shop as well (starbucks, pharmacy, etc...). Definetively recommended for staying

Room Tip: higher floor rooms are recommended due to traffic noise in the streets
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
south florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This hotel has been here forever and is in great need of a makeover.
Pulling up, the valet informed me I couldn't valet and had to park around the corner across the street (though there is a tunnel connecting the garage and hotel) This happens more than for not here. I asked if I could leave the 150 pounds of baggage there so I wouldn't have to drag all of my cases around the parking garage and I was told no. I was going directly to the ballroom downstairs... So from the parking garage to the ballrooms (and the guest rooms) it's THREE SEPARATE ELEVATORS in various locations around the hotel.

The rooms are dirty. The carpet is badly stained and is gross. The TV is still an analog signal (only the sound worked, no picture - they did fix it quickly though) lots of scuff marks on the walls. They've conveniently left the previous guest's room service tray outside my door - so I really don't have to guess which room is mine. It's been there over 24 hours. And yes, I called to have it removed. There is just a general smelly odor in the building. There is lack of electrical outlets in the room - a power strip would be nice.

Stay across the street - literally - at the JW Marriott Marquis. It's newer, nicer and they have Direct TV... And their valet people are super nice!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

No, it's not a five-star hotel, but there's nothing wrong with the place! We stayed for four nights while visiting Miami. We didn't have a car but it was very easy to walk to restaurants, shopping areas, and even a grocery store. The free trolley also goes right past the place, so that was a fun way to see the area. My only complaint was that the pool was poorly located -- if you look at my picture, you'll see that it's practically underneath a busy bridge, making the area pretty noisy and not great for relaxing. Our room was quite clean and tastefully decorated and we had no problems whatsoever with any of the staff. We found it to be a good value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New Port Richey, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Date of Stay: Sunday, 1/27/13 - Wednesday, 1/30/13
Length of Stay: 3 Nights

In a nutshell, the Hyatt Regency Miami is a truly wonderful Downtown Miami hotel, offering absolutely amazing service, superb dining and excellent rooms with beautiful views of Miami. This is definitely the place you should stay the next time that your travels bring you to Downtown Miami!!

Now, for my detailed review:

First, I just want to say that this review adds to all of the truly excellent things that I have had to say about this property in my prior review:

“A Truly Excellent Stay in Downtown Miami!!!” -- February 8, 2012

For even more detailed information on this property, I suggest that you view that prior review.

When I found out that work was bringing me back to Miami, after my prior excellent experience at the Hyatt Regency Miami, it was the only place that I considered and immediately booked my stay as soon as I found out that I was returning to Miami. My second stay at this property did not disappoint, and I had another amazing stay!

First, I must comment on location -- the Hyatt Regency Miami is truly in the perfect location in Downtown Miami. It offers excellent views of the Miami River and Biscayne Bay, and is connected directly to the Miami Convention Center. It is merely fifteen minutes from the excitement of South Beach, and within a couple miles of the Port of Miami. This perfect location makes the Hyatt Regency Miami a great place to stay for Conventions or for a pre-cruise stay. You are within minutes of all of the action, and you will find plenty to do if you stay at this property. Additionally, this property has very quick and easy access to I-95, allowing for quite the easy arrival and departure by car.

As for parking, as this property is located in the heart of Downtown Miami, parking is at a premium. However, this property has two convenient parking options. First, you can opt for Self Parking, at $19 a day; however, this does not include in-and-out privileges. Second, this property offers a truly excellent Valet Parking option at $31 a day; this price may seem high to some, but it is extremely reasonable given the Downtown location compared to some other properties. And, the Valet Staff is extremely quick, efficient and friendly; I would highly encourage you to spend the extra money and utilize this property's excellent Valet Service.

As for the property itself, I do not agree with prior reviews indicating an "aged" feel. Upon entry, you see a very well-appointed and spacious lobby, offering a Front Desk full of extremely wonderful Staff. As soon as I stepped into the Lobby, I was at the Front Desk and fully checked in within a matter of minutes. I was immediately thanked for being a Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond Tier Member, and offered a choice of Diamond Welcome Amenities. I opted for a bottle of the Canvas Merlot and a very tasty selection of chips and salsas. I was also given a coupon for a free drink at this property's excellent bar, the Pure Verde Lounge. After such a quick check-in, I was on my way to my room on the 8th Floor.

One comment about this property is that, for a busy Downtown property, it had ample elevators. I find that many busy Downtown properties do not offer enough elevators or elevators that are quick and efficient. This property is definitely different than all of those hotels, as there are more than enough elevators, and each elevator is quite quick and efficient. Also, one can feel safe, as you have to insert your room key to access any guest floor from the Lobby.

As for the rooms, I found my room to be absolutely wonderful, and I have included numerous photos with this review. I spent a little extra money and opted for a "Miami Suite," and this room did not disappoint in any way. It was a sort-of mini-suite; one large room as opposed to two separate rooms, but it had more than enough space and offered excellent views of the Miami River. As you enter this spacious room, the bathroom is immediately to the left, with a large sitting area directly to your right. The sitting area offers a large and comfortable sleeper sofa, along with a decent sized coffee table and chair, giving plenty of room to enjoy an excellent dinner from Room Service. Just past the sitting area is a good sized computer desk, sporting plenty of room for work. Directly in front of you as you enter are large floor-to-ceiling windows, offering absolutely amazing views of the Miami River and the Miami skyline. Then, further in and to the left is the bedroom, offering a very comfortable King-sized Hyatt "Grand Bed." And finally, in the middle of the room is a large flat-screen television positioned on a swivel so that one can see it from both the bedroom and the sitting area. All-in-all, a truly excellent room and I would definitely stay in it again the next time that business brings me to Miami.

One final note on rooms at this property -- make sure to book a Regency Club Room! This property offers a wonderful Regency Club, located on the 23rd floor. It offers wonderful views, along with excellent food and drink. In the morning, you will find a lovely continental breakfast with great coffee. And, in the evening, you will find extremely flavorful hot and cold food selections, along with sodas and water, as well as alcoholic drinks available for a very reasonable fee. The Regency Club is definitely worth the money at this property!

As for dining, this property offers excellent dining options. The Riverwalk Cafe offers excellent cuisine and beautiful river views. Additionally, the adjacent Pure Verde Lounge offers amazing service and stiff drinks at a reasonable price. Furthermore, there is the Riverwalk Deli, offering an excellent selection of food that is perfect for a meal on the go. All-in-all, one will never go hungry at this property.

To conclude, the Hyatt Regency Miami is an absolutely excellent property, offering top-notch customer service. It combines wonderful rooms and gorgeous views with a perfect location; as such, this is definitely the place that you should stay the next time you are in Miami!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher-floor room for the best views of the Miami River and Biscayne Bay
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Couldn't have been more disappointed. Nasty, stained and wet carpeting, stained furniture, old dirty fixtures, broken towel racks and a gross non-draining tub. The location wasn't bad by the convention center, but that's about it. Restaurant ok, but staff argued over who had my table in front of me - no class. This has no business being in the Hyatt franchise let alone a Regency? Who is policing the Hyatt mark these days? Cut this place and San Fran's Fisherman's Wharf location loose or overhaul them.

• Stayed December 2012
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I got an email before leaving home advising me that I could check in online, so I filled in all the fields and got no response, except for an email that reported that I would get an email when they had completed the check in. Of course, that email arrive a half hour after I checked in and it said they couldn't complete the check in online, so go to the check in desk at the hotel.
When we drove up to the hotel, there was a long line and wait for the valet. Then a long line at check in, but courteous clerk.
The room is shabby at best.
The internet service requires payment of $3.95 for an hour or $9.99 for a day! The room was an upgrade to the Regency Club, so Internet access should have been included. I called the concierge who told me the service cost, period!
We visited the Club and had a good experience there. Fun hostess and OK snacks and wine.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Miami? Share your experiences!