“Pleasant experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Miami

You added Hyatt Regency Miami to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 South East Second Ave, Miami, FL 33131-2197 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #62 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Poynette, Wisconsin, USA
“Pleasant experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was really worried about this hotel after reading the reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. I booked the room through Hotwire so it was at a good price. Right after, groupon had a Holiday Inn special and I thought I may have made a mistake but our party of 8 had a wonderful time here pre-cruise. It's in a very good location within walking distance to CVS, Starbucks, restaurants, etc.. The room itself was very nice and had two comfortable beds. It wasn't dirty at all so I don't know what rooms the other reviewers were in. We were on the 19th floor and the view wasn't anything special but we only wanted a nice place to stay the night before our cruise. The front desk staff were very friendly and we liked the layout of the room. I guess if you have really high expectations, you might be disappointed but it met our needs just fine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Was there for business and stayed at Hyatt Regency due to location, which is definitely a good location if you are trying to stay in the CBD for work. That was about where the positives ended. The lobby is dated and not all that impressive. The rooms however are much worse. The smell hits you as soon as you get off the elevator. The old, musty smell of a hotel that hasn't been properly renovated in way too many years. The desk/tv/dresser/etc were decent and had clearly been updated to try and give the appeal of a nicer hotel. But the 1980s wall paper / paint that were coming off the wall, stained and dirty feeling carpet, and awful smell were more than enough to offset that positive. The bathroom was setup is awkward at best and not of the quality / cleanliness that I'd expect from a Hyatt Regency. I was upset that I didn't bring shower sandals to wear in the bathroom and around my room. The cleanliness had me freaked out enough that I put down a "sheet" of towels to sleep on due to how dirty I felt. I wouldn't recommend staying at this hotel even at discounted pricing until they complete a full room renovation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Miami over Thanksgiving Weekend 2012. The hotel is in a good location for access to various parts of downtown Miami (via the city's Metromover system) but if you're looking for ocean views, you're out of luck. The city's inter-coastal waterways are a good view, however - at times, you can see some nice ships big and small traverse them. A downside to that, though - it can be a bit noisy from the waterway drawbridges periodically - I was on the 8th floor and could hear the warning bell quite clearly (my room had a direct view of a drawbridge) but it didn't last too long, and it was a signal for me to get up and look out the window and see what was going through! You can walk through the hotel and the convention center lobby to a nearby Metromover station to get access in just minutes to parts of downtown Miami such as Bayside Marketplace, Bayfront Park, and some cross streets in the vicinity. The Metromover is free, and I enjoyed having easy access to it to explore.

I found the staff pleasant and always eager to please - the front desk staff checked me in efficiently, and I ALWAYS saw at least two people at the desk. I was always greeted pleasantly and when I had a question, I was helped without a fuss. I had Thanksgiving dinner at the hotel's restaurant - I was seated immediately and served promptly with respect and courtesy - sometimes, restaurant staff can make dining solo uncomfortable but I didn't feel that way at the Hyatt Regency. The food was cooked well, and was tasty although the typical hotel restaurant pricing was a bit annoying. I spent an evening at the hotel bar the next night with some friends, and we were well taken care of there as well. The staff throughout the hotel seem to enjoy their jobs, and it shows.

On to the room - it was a nicely laid out room; I had two double beds. The bathroom area is separated from the sleeping area by a partial wall, which was rather nice to have. I found the storage in the room plentiful, and did not feel cramped in the bathroom area or the rest of the room. I could have done with more outlets in the room - I had packed a power strip (I was going on a cruise later) and ended up putting it to use in the room in order to have enough outlets. The room was typical hotel decor, and seemed it had been updated in parts but not fully. I didn't feel the decor of the room was up to par with what I expect from Hyatt (the lobby and other areas certainly met that level) but it did not impact my stay negatively.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

First of all want to announce, that I was there with my friends in 2008,but to this time clearly remember the benefits of Hyatt Regency Miami! By the way - I'd like the atmosphere and so friendly stuff: to the end of our vacation we became cronies with many of front-desk guys and chef))) Over there a lot of business-class guests - but we didn't feel chaste effect, really versatile hotel!
PS. hope to come back in Miami and stay again in Hyatt in close future!)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Like the title says. The hotel feels old ib terms of carpet and room set up, ut the service od the staff is AMAZING. Specially the waiters in the river cafe. Enjoyed each of the meals i had there. They made me feel special each time with the big smile and seevixe.

• Stayed December 2012
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel is billed as 4-star, however it is a 3-star product at best. It doesn't meet Mobil star criteria which makes me think the management awarded themselves the extra star in an effort to justify the unwarranted room rates. Rooms are cramped, dated and in rather poor repair. The street and drawbridge noise is bad, as other reviewers have remarked.
I must get on my soapbox for a moment re: Wi-Fi charges. At this point in history, wi-fi should be free, as it is in most down-market hotels I could name. Not only does this Hyatt charge $10/day for basic wi-fi, they charge for EVERY device, so if you want to use your tablet or phone in addition to your laptop, be prepared to pay again and again for a day's service. I find this to be an unconscionable ripoff as having more devices using the service does not cost the hotel any more.
Additionally over $30/day to park your car on top of the inflated room rates is offensive. However, if you self-park be warned that the walk from the parking garage to the hotel entry will take you through a filthy alley populated by winos.
In a word, AVOID this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Outer Banks NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here prior to a cruise. The location was very convient to the public transportation and walking distance to some attractions. The lobby area and lounge were very nice as well as other areas. The service thru out the facility was fantastic! The front desk and lounge staffs were top notch! The rooms on the other hand were a dissapointment. Ours had some mold in the tub that been caulked over and was coming back. The curtain was covered with dust next to the air duct. The walls had many black marks that detracted from the room and the rug was a bit dirty. Our room overlooked the bridge and waterway which made for a nice view but, we had street noise all night. Initial impression downstairs of this Hyatt was WOW. The rooms brought the experience way down. Would look at some other properties in this area next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Miami? Share your experiences!