“A Pleasant Stay In Downtown Miami” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Miami

You added Hyatt Regency Miami to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 South East Second Ave, Miami, FL 33131-2197 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #49 of 113 Hotels in Miami
Madison, Wisconsin
“A Pleasant Stay In Downtown Miami”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Miami over Thanksgiving Weekend 2012. The hotel is in a good location for access to various parts of downtown Miami (via the city's Metromover system) but if you're looking for ocean views, you're out of luck. The city's inter-coastal waterways are a good view, however - at times, you can see some nice ships big and small traverse them. A downside to that, though - it can be a bit noisy from the waterway drawbridges periodically - I was on the 8th floor and could hear the warning bell quite clearly (my room had a direct view of a drawbridge) but it didn't last too long, and it was a signal for me to get up and look out the window and see what was going through! You can walk through the hotel and the convention center lobby to a nearby Metromover station to get access in just minutes to parts of downtown Miami such as Bayside Marketplace, Bayfront Park, and some cross streets in the vicinity. The Metromover is free, and I enjoyed having easy access to it to explore.

I found the staff pleasant and always eager to please - the front desk staff checked me in efficiently, and I ALWAYS saw at least two people at the desk. I was always greeted pleasantly and when I had a question, I was helped without a fuss. I had Thanksgiving dinner at the hotel's restaurant - I was seated immediately and served promptly with respect and courtesy - sometimes, restaurant staff can make dining solo uncomfortable but I didn't feel that way at the Hyatt Regency. The food was cooked well, and was tasty although the typical hotel restaurant pricing was a bit annoying. I spent an evening at the hotel bar the next night with some friends, and we were well taken care of there as well. The staff throughout the hotel seem to enjoy their jobs, and it shows.

On to the room - it was a nicely laid out room; I had two double beds. The bathroom area is separated from the sleeping area by a partial wall, which was rather nice to have. I found the storage in the room plentiful, and did not feel cramped in the bathroom area or the rest of the room. I could have done with more outlets in the room - I had packed a power strip (I was going on a cruise later) and ended up putting it to use in the room in order to have enough outlets. The room was typical hotel decor, and seemed it had been updated in parts but not fully. I didn't feel the decor of the room was up to par with what I expect from Hyatt (the lobby and other areas certainly met that level) but it did not impact my stay negatively.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Turkish first
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

First of all want to announce, that I was there with my friends in 2008,but to this time clearly remember the benefits of Hyatt Regency Miami! By the way - I'd like the atmosphere and so friendly stuff: to the end of our vacation we became cronies with many of front-desk guys and chef))) Over there a lot of business-class guests - but we didn't feel chaste effect, really versatile hotel!
PS. hope to come back in Miami and stay again in Hyatt in close future!)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Like the title says. The hotel feels old ib terms of carpet and room set up, ut the service od the staff is AMAZING. Specially the waiters in the river cafe. Enjoyed each of the meals i had there. They made me feel special each time with the big smile and seevixe.

• Stayed December 2012
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel is billed as 4-star, however it is a 3-star product at best. It doesn't meet Mobil star criteria which makes me think the management awarded themselves the extra star in an effort to justify the unwarranted room rates. Rooms are cramped, dated and in rather poor repair. The street and drawbridge noise is bad, as other reviewers have remarked.
I must get on my soapbox for a moment re: Wi-Fi charges. At this point in history, wi-fi should be free, as it is in most down-market hotels I could name. Not only does this Hyatt charge $10/day for basic wi-fi, they charge for EVERY device, so if you want to use your tablet or phone in addition to your laptop, be prepared to pay again and again for a day's service. I find this to be an unconscionable ripoff as having more devices using the service does not cost the hotel any more.
Additionally over $30/day to park your car on top of the inflated room rates is offensive. However, if you self-park be warned that the walk from the parking garage to the hotel entry will take you through a filthy alley populated by winos.
In a word, AVOID this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Outer Banks NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here prior to a cruise. The location was very convient to the public transportation and walking distance to some attractions. The lobby area and lounge were very nice as well as other areas. The service thru out the facility was fantastic! The front desk and lounge staffs were top notch! The rooms on the other hand were a dissapointment. Ours had some mold in the tub that been caulked over and was coming back. The curtain was covered with dust next to the air duct. The walls had many black marks that detracted from the room and the rug was a bit dirty. Our room overlooked the bridge and waterway which made for a nice view but, we had street noise all night. Initial impression downstairs of this Hyatt was WOW. The rooms brought the experience way down. Would look at some other properties in this area next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Miami 07Nov2012 for a business trip. Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful and the location is central. My room was a double on the 16th floor - great view of the lock and drawbridge and gorgeous adjoining buildings but a bit noisy. Street noise was remarkably loud as was the ice machine directly across from my room. The property is older and does not appear to have been renovated any time recently but was adequate for my short stay.
I enjoyed the large granite work desk, nice view and extra large closet. The bathroom was a bit claustrophobic. The dressing area was separated by a short wall from the rest of the room affording a bit of privacy. The beds were comfortable though the one I chose to sleep on did have some stray hair on the linens. Aside from the loud traffic sounds, I could not adjust the heat and was cold all evening. No matter how high I turned the thermostat, the fan seemed to only blow cool air. I didn't notice any room service menus in the room so was forced to go downstairs to the lobby to eat at the restaurant there. The menu had only a few items and staff was helpful but almost too friendly. I got the blackened mahi-mahi sandwich which was delicious and Key lime pie for dessert. The iced tea was really good and the prices were reasonable for a hotel restaurant. Wifi was free for me because my client paid and connection was fast and easy. From the windows in the dining room on the lower level near the conference rooms,we could see tugs maneuvering a huge freighter through the canal - quite a treat. The grounds and surroundings were beautiful and there was a large veranda open to the canal on the back side of the hotel. I'm not sure what sort of breakfast items are normally served but for our meeting group pastries and melon were provided. Since many of the meeting attendees were medical professionals, the lack of protein and choices of fruit was duly noted. Good for business trips - I would probably recommend to colleagues.

Room Tip: My room faced the back of the hotel and was very noisy thanks to the heavily traveled street below b...