“Best deal before cruising” 4 of 5 stars

You added Red Roof Plus+ Miami Airport to your Saves list
Red Roof Plus+ Miami Airport
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3401 NW Lejeune Road, Miami, FL 33142-5628   |
Ranked #69 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Marmaris Turkey, Leros Greece, Cortona Italy (each year)
“Best deal before cruising”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

I chose Red Roof Inn because it is the ONLY hotel with free transportation to both the airport and cruise port. The price was good compared to other surrounding hotels, it was a great choice for the night before the cruise. Make sure to sign up as soon as possible for departure to the port the day of your cruise. the hotel is comfortable, the staff were helpful, and the location very good. The airport shuttle comes about every half hour and runs after 10 which most don't.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

I stayed here for i night and it was a nice hotel! clean beds and nice clean bathroom! also cheap and close to airport and i you want to rent a car next day all car rentals are close by!
only negative was the carpet was not really clean...

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

Flees, bed bug residue, mildew smells.....This is probably one of worst hotel that I have ever stayed in, and paid so much for! My brother-in-law booked this hotel for $140 per night, as we needed a place to stay prior to our cruise, and most hotels with better reviews were fully booked. I was somewhat concerned, but given that the SuperBowl was approaching, and most hotels were fully booked, we didn't really have much of a choice. One other factor that aided in our decision making was that the hotel provided free breakfast, and transportation to the port, which would be a great saving considering we were traveling as a group.

First of all, I'll start with the airport shuttle which arrived shortly after we exited the terminal. The driver informed us that the luggage storage to the exterior of the bus was not operational, and so we had to load all of our luggage onto the bus itself. This was surely a safety hazard as we (all other passengers incl my family) would not be able to the bus in an emergency due to the amount of luggage blocking the exit. The driver did not seem concerned and thankfully the ride took a short time i.e. all of about 10 minutes.

When we arrived at the hotel, the check in process was a nightmare. Let me explain... there were two people at the desk and a lot of people arriving. The employees at the desk were dealing with multiple phone calls, and departing guests, who understanably did not want to wait in line - with the sheer number of guests arriving - to seek assistance. After about 30 minutes we were checked into our rooms. I looked around the hotel lobby, and was at this point beginning to develop concern over the potential state of the rooms. I went to grab a cup of complimentary coffee, and was greeted by a table with dirty cups, a very stained table cloth, and three coffee pots that were either cold or empty. Next we scheduled the morning transportation to the port, and were informed by the front desk that we would be called in the morning close to the departure time.

We were assigned rooms in the second building toward the rear of the hotel. Unfortunately, during the check-in process my husband had developed an allergic reaction to his sickness patch, and so we asked reception to provide information on the local hospital. We were checked in and assigned rooms in the second building.

To get to the second building you need to walk past the lobby, dining and pool area. Once we got into the building the mildew smell immediately hit us, in addition to the state of the floors, walls, and the obvious lack of maintenance. Because of the urgency, we put our bags in the room, and called the local hospital. As I put the paper down by the counter to write the details of the hospital, I was shocked to find it covered in flees. I called my family and immediately told them to remove any luggage from the floors, and to set everything on the suitcase stand provided.

During the call my husband noticed that the second bed in our room was not made up completely and was showing the box spring and mattress. I walked over to the mattress to see what the large black/reddish area was on the mattress, and low and behold it was COVERED in bed bug fecal matter, and dead bed bugs. Thankfully, we did not have our luggage on the beds per the guidance of my family, as this pest can be carried from one place to another in luggage and on clothing. My mother-in-law said that the only way she could sleep in her room was with the assistance of Tylenol PM.

My husband and I stayed at the hospital for most of the night while my husband was treated, and as I mentioned the hotel to the Dr, he mentioned that he had heard really bad things about the hotel,and even offered us a single bed for the night! Thankfully, my husband was okay, but we were both dreading returning to the hotel. Once we arrived at the hotel, we sat outside by the pool until we just couldn't stay up any longer i.e. around 5 a.m. where I was surprised to find several other guests who couldn't sleep in their rooms for various reasons including bed begs, smells, and broken air conditioners. When we did return to the room we slept in our clothes, on top of the top sheet. Yes, the sheet you should typically remove as it doesn't get washed!! As soon as I woke up the next morning, Iliterally left the room within minutes. I didn't take a shower, brush my teeth or do anything, and quite frankly I wouldn't risk it for fear of picking up something. I had brush-ups and we brushed our teeth outside the hotel.

The next morning (thankfully time to check out) we were met in the lobby but a sea of guests all trying to cram into the breakfast area. The breakfast i.e. a bagel, or Danish (single wrapped), and tea or coffee wasn't impressive at all, but we were just grateful to be leaving the hotel… so we thought........

The line outside for the port transportation was long, and people were accumulating quickly. When the first bus arrived the hotel personnel were quietly saying the names of guests, and so many didn't even realize they were supposed to be on the shuttle to the port. People without their names on the list we being allowed onto the bus, and as a result the crowd became somewhat disorderly with people shouting and screaming at each other and hotel staff. Of course, the fact that the luggage area was broken did not help. When we did finally get on the shuttle (approximately 1 hour later) I was asked if I would mind sitting on my husband's lap. My sister-in-law was also asked to sit on her husband's lap. I asked the driver how we would exit in an emergency, and he joked about it. Thankfully, I noticed that the back window is an emergency exit. With that we left, NEVER to see the Red Roof Inn again…

Sorry, I chose not to take photo's of this hotel as it was just too bad, and I didn't need the visual reminder.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

Have stayed here before and this is absolutely my LAST TIME.I am a commuter always traveling from coast to coast.This review is to simply state the facts of this red Roof Inn and to address the lack of properly maintained rooms.I am not attacking the entire chain.Also I'm not trying to deter anyone from staying at this hotel either but merely warning you.If you do decide to stay here judge for yourself! I stayed here with my wife in December .The staff is always friendly and the service is very good.The Hotel had undergone a renovation a little over a year ago.We were given a room in the older building in back.Upon entering the elevator it smelled of urine.Upon entering the room we immediately noticed that the floor had not been properly vacumed including merchandise store tags strewn about the floor.Box springs of beds had many stains, brown in color.Vent of A/C unit was filthy and clogged with dust.Bathroom shower tile grout coverd in MOLD! Upon waking up the next morning I felt something on my right leg and could not believe what I saw!I have heard reports on the news a while back about these bugs and knew exactly what they look like.I was absolutely disgusted and grabbed the little creature placed it in a plastic cup and discreetly brought it down to front desk where I met with the head of housekeeping.She could not believe her eyes and apologized to me and stated that she would have the room treated.When I asked how often the rugs were actually cleaned (shampooed) she was not certain.Even though the hotel has been renovated , by the looks of the room it was obviuosly a rushed job.My prevous experiences had not been satisfactory either but I thought I'd give them a break and try one more time.NEVER AGAIN! This hotel shares what is a very common problem of MOST Miami hotels wether they be a 1 to 5 star,CLEANLINESS is definately NOT of paramount concern.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

My husband and I spent a night here in Dec. 2009 when we were stranded in Miami due to a snowstorm in DC. American Airlines gave us a voucher to get a room for $66. The room was clean, comfortable and large. There was a free shuttle to and from the airport which was great. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The free continental buffet breakfast was great! Orange juice, apples, bagels with cream cheese and jelly, danishes, tea and coffee/lattes/hot cocoa. There was a swimming pool with Palm trees (we didn't get to use it but it was lovely just the same) We had dinner at the Bennigans next door and caught the early shuttle back to the airport the next morning.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
miami airport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

I really like the hotel. It's close to the airport and it has breakfast. the people are nice and I always have a good time when I stay there. I love it

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Very nice clean hotel. Comfy beds, great room service, great rates! Very well pleased w/ overall stay! When I return to Miami, this is where I'll stay! Thank you for the great service!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Red Roof Plus+ Miami Airport? Share your experiences!