“Reviews are pretty much accurate” 2 of 5 stars

Red Roof Plus+ Miami Airport
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3401 NW Lejeune Road, Miami, FL 33142-5628   |
Ranked #67 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Madison, Connecticut
“Reviews are pretty much accurate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

I wouldn't stay here again. The rooms are plebeian, and the free continental breakfast is a joke. We had good luck w/ the shuttle from the airport, but the line for the port was very long; we opted for a taxi.

I noticed that some people were able to pay $85 for a night here. That sounds about right for the experience. Unfortunately, we paid $180 for the Saturday night of Presidents' Day weekend; the hotel certainly isn't worth that.

Benningan's is right next door and serves good food, although their "signature sandwich," the Monte Cristo, really can't be finished by anyone who's not a glutton.

Good for transients, but you wouldn't want to spend more than a night here.

• Liked — Location--closeness to the airport
  • Disliked — Overall cleanliness, breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

Was OK for a cheap place to stay before a cruise. Friendly, complimentary shuttle from airport and to the port. We stayed in one of the newly redecorated rooms out in the back building. Clean and comfortable for our group of 3. Continental breakfast not so great. One of the friendly staff recommended a cuban cafe a block away to get some really good sandwiches. Pool area really noisy with airplanes flying over, but couldn't hear them from the room.

Stayed February 2008
Kingston, Jamaica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2008

I booked the Red Roof Inn via RatesToGo, because they offered a real good rate. A deposit was paid by credit card, I got a mail from HotelClub confirming the reservation with a booking ID. The rest of the money should be paid directly at the hotel. When I arrived at the Red Roof Inn they couldn't find anything about my reservation. I showed them the mail from HotelClub I had printed out but it was rejected - quite unfriendly - with the wonderful argument "a booking ID is no confirmation". I had no time to look for another hotel so I took one of the last available rooms which of course had to be paid in full and at a much higher rate.
The room was clean and simple and would have been absolutely okay for the rate that went with my booking - but not for the price I finally had to accept. Maybe the problem was not caused by the hotel, but still their handling of the whole thing was pretty poor.
PS: It's more than 2 months now, but I'm still trying to get the deposit back.

Stayed November 2007
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2008

the hotel was nasty, our room smelled and there was mold on ceiling and walls, no garbage cann in room, the airconditioner didnt work, staff didnt answer the phone at the front desk, sinse the room had some kind of smell my allergies started to act up
the next morning my friend decided to look in the ice bucket and their was a used sanitary napkin wraped up in toilet paper i woulds not recomend this hotel to anyone it was rated 3 star it should be rated 1 star. i will never stay thier again

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — there was nothing i liked about this hotel except the warm weather
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scottsdale, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

I've stayed at some "bad" hotels but oh my goodness... this one takes the cake - BY FAR!!! We arrived to stay the night in Miami before flying to the Carribean. We chose Red Roof Inn because it was 5 minutes from the airport. The ONLY good thing about it! When we checked in, they gave us a room that was 50 degrees in it! I'm talking, the AC was on full blast turned to dark blue cold! They switched us to another which wasn't really better. We asked for a non-smoking room, but there was a muggy, stale smoking odor in the room anyway. The shower & tub was in bad condition, leaky & rusty. Hot water didn't work very good. We worried about sleeping in the bed, wondering if the sheets & covers were clean because there were women in the hallways trying to get "customers" (meaning prostitution). When we walked past 2 rooms on our floor, the smell of marijuana filled the hallway.

The entire night we did not sleep. There was loud noise from the pool area, loud noise up & downstairs, the room's smokey odor made it hard for me to breath while I TRIED to sleep (cause I have astmha) and it was pretty much a nightmare. We even heard the front desk people chattering to eachother, using profanities while we were walking our 3 year old out the door. Totally unprofessional & a total SLUM is the word.

PLEASE, do not stay here!!!

• Liked — Absolutely nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything, drugs, prostitution, noise... how worse can it get?!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

I needed a hotel to stay at for one night due to a connecting flight early in the morning.
I didn't want anything too fancy or expensive however I wanted comfort and conveincence.
Since I was booking my hotel last minute due to unexpected changes in travel plans and it was the busiest time of year, I had few choices.

I decided on the Red Roof Inn which is close to the Miami International Airport.

What caught my eye was free shuttle service to and from the airport starting at 5 am.

When I arrived, the staff seemed a bit apathetic, not too friendly nor accomodating. The doors are manual and I had some heavy bags. I struggled to open them while the front desk staff watched me.

I checked in and was told my room was outside in another building - part of the hotel. So I had to haul my bags up to my room on the 3rd floor.
While heading to the next building, I couldn't help but notice the very pretty swimming pool surrounded by exquisite plants: huge towering palm trees, banana trees, flowers of many sorts....the walk to the next building is surrounded by all sorts of tropical trees and flowers. It smelled amazing!
Sadly, I arrived during the coldest day in 3 years (literally) so the time I spent in Miami was bundled up in a jacket trying to keep warm from the wind. I was unable to enjoy the pool or plants as much as I would have liked.

There is no restaraunt or room service in the hotel.

It is near large freeways so it is extremely difficult to walk anywhere other than to adjacent hotels along the strip.
There is one restaraunt located next door, sort of like an Irish-type pub featuring similar grub and drinks.
I had a meal there which was pretty good but later I got peckish and there was no where to buy even an apple or some healthy snacks. A bit disappointing.

Coffee/cappucino machines are located in the lobby and one is able to help themselves to free hot beverages. However 9 out of 10 times the beverage I selected was unavailable!
The juice machine too was not operating.

My room was slightly disappointing as well.

I requested a non-smoking room but upon entering my room, the first thing I encountered was a stale smell of cigarette smoke. The room was very, very musty
It turned me off immediately. I was unable to open the window, which was large and nice. I had a papaya tree growing right below my window and being from Canada, I welcomed such a tropical sight!

The room was average: somewhat clean, the bed was very comfortable and I had more than enough space.
When I say 'somewhat clean' I must add that parts of the floor had recently been shampooed (ie. *right* next to the bed) and were wet! The bottoms of my socks were soaking when I accidently walked over the shampooed patches.
I could only concluded that considering New Year's Eve was the night before and the room was used prior to me.....well, I will leave it up to the reader to make their own conclusions.

The washroom was small but clean and pretty.

There was an alarm clock provided in my room which was great. I had to be up very early the next day and it was helpful.
This hotel offers free shuttle service to and from the airport which I used the next morning.
The driver of the shuttle was most helpful with my luggage and ensured I got right to the appropriate entrance needed for my flight (the airport in Miami is gigantic - like its own little community).

Would I stay at this hotel again?
Perhaps. As long as the room was more fresh and clean.

Constance Roshko, Edmonton, AB Canada

• Liked — Free shuttle service to and from airport/beautiful plants and pool outside
  • Disliked — cigarette smell in non-smoking room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nassau
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2007

I booked this property because it was centrally located to both Miami Beach and Kendall. Things went down hill from the moment we walked in. At check-in, the clerk shouted out the room number, although she had written it on the folio, the lobby was full of people. The following day, we opted to assist with the conservation of water and opted not to have our linens and towels changed. To our dismay, after a long day of appointments and shopping we returned to find that our towels were removed and not replaced, upon calling guest services we were told to come to the front desk to collect towels, we also wanted a clothing iron which was to be collected. We walked over to be informed that they only had bath towels and that all of the irons had been lent to rooms for which they had no log. One of the clerks, Milton informed me that he was just coming on to work th 11pm-7am shift and as soon as an iron was available, he would call my room. Never happened! To add insult to injury, returning to the building where our room was located, the entire place was thick with the smell of cigarette smoke, the elevator did not work and the ice and vending machines were inoperable. This hotel boasts that it was recently renovated. What was it like before? In the future, I'll just stay away from anything that is remotely related to Red Roof Inns, and advise everyone to do likewise.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — customer service/care was lacking
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Red Roof Plus+ Miami Airport? Share your experiences!