“COCKROACHES” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport

You added Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport to your Saves list
Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5301 NW 36th Street, Miami, FL 33166 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #62 of 110 Hotels in Miami
Two Buttes, Colorado
“COCKROACHES”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Hotel is off the main drag in seedy neighborhood. Over-priced buffet dinner with limited choices. Printer in business office didn't work, and couldn't print boarding pass. Entire facility was dirty, with many hairs in the bathroom etc. Breakfast not served until 7:00am on Sat & Sun, so had to go to airport without eating, but I was glad to get out of that hotel. Worst place I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Nice front desk staff and shuttle drivers.shuttles were on time and very helpful. Restaurant staff was also very helpful And courteous.hotel areas were busy but well maintained. Rooms were very clean.the hotel area was very nice.

• Stayed November 2014
Hartfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

After collecting our luggage we established for ourselves we had to lug our cases up to a concourse and await the hotel shuttle!! We waited tired and fraught for an hour for this bus which almost drove off without us until we banged on drivers door. This was after making two phone calls to the hotel. Be warned keep your mobile handy!! The breakfast was a disaster and survival of the fittest. No trays no clear tables food was mediocre. An awful eperience. The bed was comfortable was the only plus. Check your room carefully before departure, my husband left a suit jacket hanging up which we did not miss until we were in Naples. The hotel was extremely unhelpful and would not assist us to get this sent to us. As of writing we have still not organised this. Never again would I venture near this hotel!

Room Tip: Sorry cannot suggest anything
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

"What is Clarion Hotel, Miami Airport?"

This was a weird experience all around. I won a bid on Priceline, so I was stuck with it. Let me review this hotel very honestly.

1) Airport Shuttle: We waited curb-side on level two to 'flag down' the shuttle. When we saw the shuttle zooming past us, we finally got his attention and he eventually stopped. There was another person standing next to us without any luggage (we had five bags between us).

The driver went straight toward the guy next to us (completely ignoring us) and hugged him, speaking in another language. The driver then told him in English, while still ignoring us, the hotel no longer had any rooms and 'we' were being located to another hotel. While my travel companion and I talked to each other about what was happening, the driver was still talking to the guy beside us, again in another language. He was about to walk away, leaving us there, when I asked him why the hotel didn't have room for us. His response? 'Yeah, hotel is full, they moved everybody'! I asked him to clarify, and he asked if we were 'crew'. I, having no clue what he was talking about, informed him we had a reservation.

It turns out he assumed we were all cruise line staff. When he realised we were actual customers and that we didn't know his buddy next to us, he seemed shocked and told us to 'hop on'. Once aboard, we saw the shuttle was totally filled to capacity, standing room only.

2) Check in Progress: Once finally off 'sardine shuttle', the front sidewalk was FULL of people. Already unimpressed, we proceeded inside. As soon as the door opened, we were already in a line to check-in. The oddly shaped, plain walled foyer--lacking art and clocks-- is not designed as a 'welcome space' like other hotels. Even the couches there (yes, couches) are used for people to sit while the other member of their party checks in!

The 20 minutes in line was very frustrating. I saw four computers but only two employees! One, a young female, spent literally 15 of those minutes speaking Spanish to a family who went to the counter one-by-one. It appeared to me (and the others in line) that each member of that family were asking the same questions, and none of them cared there was a line of people out the door.

At most hotels, additional staff (and a manager) would have been paged to the front desk to assist with checking in the guests. But, not here!

Once it was finally my turn, I was helped by a man who was friendly but stressed. I cannot blame him whatsoever. It didn't seem like a positive working condition! He checked me in, giving me two key cards (one of which didn't work and required waiting back in line an hour later) and several bits and pieces of paper, each containing different information. One piece (which was half a paper he tore in half in front of me!) was about times and hours or something, another pre-cut paper contained internet password information and we never understood what information the third little piece of paper contained.

3) The Room: Huge room! Huge bathroom (but very outdated and NO counter at all). The room had been 'updated' but very basic and the tiny furniture didn't fit the room (i.e. power cords hang across the walls from desk (and table!) to reach the power outlets.

The beds were comfortable. The room had a tv, BUT neither one of us could figure out how to use the remote. Pressing power, didn't turn on the TV, etc. It was very weird...and was the common question asked the next morning in 'the restaurant'. Comforting that it wasn't only us who couldn't work a TV remote!

4) 'The Restaurant': This very long, windowless room, should be renamed 'The Part time, Self-Serve Cafeteria'. Not a pleasant experience. This is the room they serve the free breakfast each morning. The selection is very good, lots of options (and if you keep kosher, this is one of the best free breakfasts with lots of items with a kosher symbol.. Even the waffle mix is kosher).

Lots of sitting space and even some TVs.The walls are white, very plain. The staff working there don't speak to you when they cut in front of you to reload the plastic forks and paper plates. If you ask a question about anything other than 'pop', they don't seem to understand. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like having to eat there for other meals (and have to pay!). This 'restaurant' seems to keep odd hours, as during the short course of my stay it opened and closed randomly.

One of my funny memories of it was the cage doors they pulled down from the ceiling when they closed (blocking the main doors) but NO DOORS on another entrance just steps away!

5) Business Center/Internet Room: Only two computers are provided and one was broken (though no sign was posted). I tried to use it to email my boss and skype with my daughter (trying many times over two days), but it was continually used by people surfing the web. One particular lady, (who sat there for 30+ minutes using Facebook) actually asked me if what I wanted to do was 'important'. When I told her I had to email my boss, she had the nerve to tell me to give her '10 more minutes'! I hope her 40+ minutes on Facebook was worth it for her.

6) Conclusion: Its weird to me a building this size doesn't have a pool and has a 'gym' smaller than a hotel room.

PROS: Great walking trail just outside, Through a middle class area, golf course and a little park. Very nice. If you follow the trails up to an Adventist Church, turn around at the point and this area of town quickly becomes very low income and felt unsafe.

We stayed here Pre-Cruise. I did like the shuttle ($10/person) they provide. I don't like how after waiting in line to check-in, I was pointed to another line to register for the cruise shuttle. That should all be done at once.

Room Tip: Low floors are more accessible as the elevators are very slow and ALWAYS full.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I'm not joking when I say this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, including a whole variety of terrible motels I've experienced in my life.
There is a hole in the roof of the lobby, and they have a trash can (FULL OF TRASH) to collect the dripping.
The in-hotel restaurant is a JOKE and the so-called "Saturday Special" Buffet smelled like death.
If I wasn't staying here free because of American Airline's screwup, I would absolutely demand a refund. I hate it here.
To their credit, the staff is friendly, but still, they're wholly incompetent. I'm honestly afraid to sleep in the bed because I seriously question how clean it is.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Frank M, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Joel R

Please accept my apology for the hotel not meeting your standards. I understand completely how frustrating it is when weather conditions make air travel impossible and ruin your travel plans. I am very confident that under a different set of circumstances your stay at the Clarion Inn and Suites would have been a much more enjoyable experience then what you described. Please contact me directly when in the area again, the staff and I will be more then glad to provide you with superior service.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Placed here by American Airlines after we missed our connection. It looks like this is their holding pen for the unfortunate passengers whom they shaft. Front desk was very helpful and friendly. Room was big and fairly nice and clean. Bathroom was a little gross and shower fairly poor. Our only option for redeeming the dinner vouchers which American had given us was to eat at the in-hotel cafe, Milo's. Their only option on Saturday night was a ghastly buffet featuring bland, overcooked rice, boxed mashed potatoes, beef stew which retained the metallic taste of the Dinty Moore container from which it surely came and one of the sadder frozen vegetable medleys I've had the misfortune of seeing. All this for about $19,'including the $2 bottled water.
The hotel gym is similarly depressing: looked more like your uncle's basement with cheap, discarded, dusty fitness equipment shoved into a corner rather than a place you'd actually get a workout. For fun, you can stand on the counterweight scale and watch your measured weight vary widely as you move your feet an inch in any direction. Yeah, even their scale didn't function.
Oh, and the credit card machine in the gift shop didn't work.
In all, room not bad. Otherwise a pretty sad little place.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Jon R

Please let me apologize for the hotel not meeting your standards, I understand the situation surrounding your stay was difficult and frustrating. I travel a lot and had the same thing happen to me on several occasions. The hotel was renovated in September of 2014 and is up to par with Clarion standards. Everything inside the property is new, carpet, furniture, drapes, TV’s, artwork, bedding, even the paint is new. The large majority of our guest rave about our new look and what we have done to the property. This summer we will continue our efforts to improve guest satisfaction by upgrading the guest bathrooms and the exterior of the hotel. Please contact me directly when in the area again so that I can assist you with your lodging needs, I am sure you will have a different experience on your next visit.

Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Since the time I arrived at the airport until the time I was taken back after check out, the staff was fast, helpful, and friendly. The shuttle driver was prompt and informative about the area. The counter staff had my reservation ready so the check in process was short. You could tell that the room was recently renovated. Check out was a snap and the shuttle was ready when I needed to go back to the airport. A great experience all around ... I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are quieter
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Dear BC 0313

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, your comments are very rewarding, The staff and I really appreciate your kind words. We hope to see you again in the future.

Frank Molina

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport? Share your experiences!