“OK for pre-cruise overnight” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport

You added Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport to your Saves list
Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5301 NW 36th Street, Miami, FL 33166 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #80 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Pinckney, Michigan, United States
“OK for pre-cruise overnight”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My sister and I shared a room at this hotel, newly rebranded Clarion Inn and formerly one of the Comfort properties which apparently caused confusion to many others besides us since there is a Comfort Suites just 5 blocks away. This is an older property in the process of renovation so some rooms are looking pretty good and apparently others are not. Our room was quite large -- the size of a one bedroom apartment. It was clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom, while nothing to write home about, was also clean and serviceable. Our other sister stayed in a standard sized room which looked very nice and clean. Our internet worked just fine and we thought the breakfast was excellent. We were also pleased that we were able to get a room almost immediately when we presented ourselves for check-in even though we were earlier than the posted standard. The lobby area is spacious and clean. The hotel also offered a gift and convenience shop which carried many items useful to travelers, especially if something had been forgotten at home.

Our room faced the airport located just across the street. This hotel has installed sound-proof windows and they work well. People in the hallway were noisier than the airport.

We tried the lunch offered by the restaurant and found it to be mediocre at best and it's clear that the restaurant staff is merely heating up mediocre food service grade frozen or canned items. This can be avoided in lieu of almost any other choice. That being said, we tried pizza delivery from a flier slid under our door and those offers should be avoided at all costs. We were very displeased with the quality of that food and later learned that these businesses are scams to harvest credit card numbers. We were not warned of this fact by the Clarion but heard about it from another hotel.

It appears that this hotel may be a reasonable choice for a pre- or post-cruise overnight but if the price was right but overall I think there are better choices for proximity to the airport and cruise docks.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room if possible. Enjoy the breakfast and seek other meals elsewhere.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Hotel was recently changed and the rooms are old and the Toliet didn't work properly the free Breakfast was Horrible and the Wi-Fi stunk! I would really hope the Renovate it before Id stay there again!

• Stayed December 2014
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We made the mistake of booking a hotel in Miami last minute before taking a cruise. We only needed a room for one night so I figured how bad it could it be? When we arrived late in the evening the hotel was bustling with activity of other families checking in. The best part of our experience was the gentleman at the front counter. He was friendly and courteous. Once we got to our room I noticed the door wasn't completely closed (like something was wrong with the lock). We tried to enter using the room key card and the door wouldn't open. We ended up getting two more sets of new keys and the door never opened. The door would only open for the maintenance staff and room cleaners. We asked for a new room and was told the hotel was booked solid and this was the only room they had left. It was also a handicapped room so imagine if we were actually handicap and had to go downstairs 3 times to get keys that never worked.

Because of our key issues, one of us had to stay in the room while the other went downstairs to get breakfast. My husband went down twice (once to bring up my food and once to get his) and the food server worker fussed at him in Spanish about not being able to get seconds and asking him what room was he staying in. There was also a lingering smell of cigarettes on the main floor of the hotel. Let's just say that when it was time to check out we were more than happy to leave. I haven't had a hotel experience this bad in a LONG time.

For those looking for a place to stay in Miami, I recommend the Extended Stay right next door or pay the extra $$ to stay in a more up to date hotel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Frank M, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Penebear

I am sorry your stay was not up to your standards. I have shared your comments with my staff and taken steps to correct the issues you encountered in an effort to provide better service for future guest. The hotels electronic locks are being inspected to prevent any future issues, The locks are extremely reliable and rarely have any type of issues. The hotel is a smoke free property, and we have taken steps so that no one smokes outside the front doors of the hotel. The breakfast is a free buffet and could be access as many times as you like. We hope you will consider us again when in the area for your lodging needs.

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked this hotel while on a lay over to the Cayman Islands. Being December, it wasn't all that warm in Miami - temperature was 52 degrees when I arrived. When I went up to the room it was FREEZING - I estimate the room temperature to be between 50 and 60 degrees. I was then informed that the hotel has NO HEAT and that they were out of heaters. Housekeeper said the most they could do for me was give me a couple of blankets. Since I generally prefer to stay in warm / heated environments I told the front desk staff that the conditions were not acceptable and I would need to go to another hotel. Fortunately the Holiday Inn close by has heat and they were incredibly nice, even came to pick me up. Clarion refused to refund my reservation, and did nothing to assist me in finding another hotel. Sorry, but if I'm paying more than 100 dollars per night for a hotel, I expect the basics to be provided, like heat !

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Dear Tracey

I am sorry you had a frosty experience. The hotel’s air condition is a chilled water system, We run cold water in the summer and warm in the winter. A very large percent of our guest prefer the temperature to be cold, even on the days where the temperature outside of the hotel is chilly. Miami has very few cold nights, even in winter the sun comes out and raises the temperature to 75 or 80. The days you stayed the temperature was in the low sixties at night and in the seventies during the day. The hotels provides space heaters for those guest like yourself that need a warmer room. We will purchase more so that other guest won’t have the same experience.

Hollywood, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is the kind of hotel you can get more than what you paid for. The room are big, renovated and nice. The staff is helpful and friendly. The hotel van from and to the airport is convenient. The internet is fast enough to stream videos. And they have a good free breakfast (not just coffee and muffins).

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Dear Alexandre

Thank you for your review. My staff and I are very pleased you enjoyed your stay. We thank you for choosing us and hope to see you again in the future.

Montego Bay, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I missed my connection in Miami and was placed at this hotel, I must admit that when I heard the name I had my doubts. I called my company's booking agency to ask if it was an ok hotel. The first impression was not good, that first impression was the hotel transfer, the bus is really old and I started to worry, however when I got to the hotel I was met by a pleasant front desk team, the rooms are average but they were clean. The free breakfast was GREAT, the best offering I have had for this type of hotel in the Miami area. Dont be fooled by the name 'INN' it is a hotel to stay if you are on a budget.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Frank M, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Sanjay

I am very pleased you had a good stay at the Clarion Inn and Suites. The hotel recently completed the a major renovation and it’s looking forward to improvements in other areas that impact the guest. I will share your comments with the staff and use them to improve guest satisfaction. We hope to see you soon.

sf
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I'm writing this review while sitting on the edge of a lumpy bed that you can feel springs when lying on your back.

After waiting in excess of 55 minutes for a shuttle to the hotel that never came, a fellow traveler (who also happened to be waiting for the same Clarion shuttle) and I ended up having to get a taxi to the hotel for $14.

The lipstick on a pig comment: This is an old building and while they may have thrown some new carpet on the floors and a new coat of paint, you still have a neglected, crappy base to work with.

The sink doesn't drain properly, so even while brushing your teeth it fills up and you're forced to wait for it to drain. Same thing for the bathtub/shower.

As I said there's new-ish drapes and comforter, but you still have ugly stained cottage cheese ceiling or, in other parts, a drop ceiling with painted office-style panels. The cheapness continues to the rickety, tin faux-louvered closet doors (where a normal establishment would have wood bifold doors).

The HVAC system was loud, with a thermostat/control that looked like it was from the 60s. It was always too cold or too hot and required constant adjustment.

The front desk staff was unprofessional, with the supervisor and the clerk getting into a spat about what to tell us about finding food elsewhere.

WiFi speed was decent (in the 1-2 MBPS range) for a hotel. TV was a good size (I dislike those 24 inch TVs that some hotels put way across the room). Room size was so-so.

I would highly recommend against staying here.

Room Tip: If time is of the essence and you've booked this hotel, you shouldn't rely on the shuttle...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Frank M, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Chartsfo

The hotel shuttle service runs every 30 minutes. The Airport has specific locations were the shuttles can pick up passengers. There are signs posted throughout the airport directing you where to go, According to the taxi receipt, you waited at the wrong location. Taxis are lactated on the lower level; hotel shuttles are located on the upper level.
I am glad you noticed we renovated, however, you did not mention the new Lazy-boy furniture, the Juan Miro artwork, the new designer lamps, or the new tile in the bathrooms. In addition we have new elevators, a newly renovated restaurant and lobby. We also have a gift shop, guest laundry, rental car facility and the largest parking lot in the airport area. The Clarion Inn and Suites has the newest room in the airport area at a very reasonable price.
The A/C in your room is in fact new, less than a year old. The thermostat in your room is a commercial grade Honeywell product that is relatively new and simple to use.
The two young men who gave you directions to a local restaurant are perhaps the nicest employees you will ever meet in the hospitality industry. Both are college students paying their own way through school and suggested what they thought you would enjoy.
It’s been my experience that a little research on my destination, paying close attention to signs and just slowing down a little while traveling will make for a much more enjoyable trip. If you ever find yourself in Miami again, contact me at the hotel, I will do everything within my power to make your stay a pleasant one.

Frank Molina

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport? Share your experiences!