“They Recently Put Lipstick on This Pig” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport

You added Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport to your Saves list
Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5301 NW 36th Street, Miami, FL 33166 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #81 of 129 Hotels in Miami
sf
“They Recently Put Lipstick on This Pig”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I'm writing this review while sitting on the edge of a lumpy bed that you can feel springs when lying on your back.

After waiting in excess of 55 minutes for a shuttle to the hotel that never came, a fellow traveler (who also happened to be waiting for the same Clarion shuttle) and I ended up having to get a taxi to the hotel for $14.

The lipstick on a pig comment: This is an old building and while they may have thrown some new carpet on the floors and a new coat of paint, you still have a neglected, crappy base to work with.

The sink doesn't drain properly, so even while brushing your teeth it fills up and you're forced to wait for it to drain. Same thing for the bathtub/shower.

As I said there's new-ish drapes and comforter, but you still have ugly stained cottage cheese ceiling or, in other parts, a drop ceiling with painted office-style panels. The cheapness continues to the rickety, tin faux-louvered closet doors (where a normal establishment would have wood bifold doors).

The HVAC system was loud, with a thermostat/control that looked like it was from the 60s. It was always too cold or too hot and required constant adjustment.

The front desk staff was unprofessional, with the supervisor and the clerk getting into a spat about what to tell us about finding food elsewhere.

WiFi speed was decent (in the 1-2 MBPS range) for a hotel. TV was a good size (I dislike those 24 inch TVs that some hotels put way across the room). Room size was so-so.

I would highly recommend against staying here.

Room Tip: If time is of the essence and you've booked this hotel, you shouldn't rely on the shuttle...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Port of Spain, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Overall experience would be rated a 4 . The hotel shuttle was promptly awaiting my arrival as soon as I exited the airport terminal. Check In and Check out was quick and easy. No hassle. I also loved that check out is at 12pm (rather than 11pm at most hotels). Its located in Miami Springs which is the district close to the airport. There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance which makes this hotel even more appealing. Would definitely stay again and perhaps have breakfast next time :) :)

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

I was in miami to visit the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute and the hospital gave us the name of this hotel as a hotel who gives us a cheaper price. I was a bit hesitant due to a few reviews but was pleasantly surprised from the moment I called to make my reservation. The person on the phone was very helpful and assured me that it was only 5 miles away from the hospital. Parking is included and so was the very fast wi-fi. The front desk was beyond helpful with my dad and with giving me directions to near by restaurants. I left too early to experience the breakfast, but when we come back for my dad's follow up appointment this will definitely be the place we stay again.

• Stayed November 2014
Frank M, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Justincase24

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at the newly renovated Clarion Inn and Suites Miami Airport. Your comments are refreshing and will be shared with the staff, we look forward to your next stay so we can provide superior service.

Taylors
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Decent stay overall, FRI - SUN.

1. Breakfast had good variety, but waffle irons didn't work and sausages were overcooked.
2. Bed needs updating, I felt the springs. Not comfortable.
3. I requested no mid-stay cleaning but went to get more soap. Lady asked me to tell her manager that she had cleaned my room if asked. Not sure why, but is seemed unethical to me.
4. Staff seems overworked. A young lady who seemed to be some sort of supervisor behind the check-in counter was in the breakfast room next day taking care of business, I could hear her complaining to a co-worker in front of guests. She did not seem friendly or go out of her way to welcome guests or even establish eye contact and smile.

The view is outstanding. One side is over nice gardens and old spanish style architecture. Other side is over the runway, which is great if you enjoy watching planes take off and land.

The room was clean and adequate. They have tried to make a rather old hotel into something fairly welcoming. The lobby was very busy and unwelcoming, but the rooms were good.

I was impressed with the speed of the Wi-Fi, which tested both times over 3.0 MBPS.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Frank M, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Jamie T

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with the staff in an effort t to improve our service. I sincerely hope you will visit us again when in the area.

Sincerly

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed at the Clarion near the Miami Hotel on a long layover, hoping to check in early as requested 5-6 days earlier. Normally I've never had an issue checking in early with any other establishment, however they made us wait nearly 6 hours in the lobby, giving multiple other guests early check in and shutting us out. This would not have prompted me to write the review had I not had such an unfortunate experience with their Shuttle Service.

They have a convenient airport shuttle leaving every 30 minutes. However it is not convenient when they show up 10 minutes late after you've waited 45 minutes due to the prior shuttle being too full. When they finally do show up, they did not announce they we're leaving, and quickly snuck in and out of the shuttle only to speed off without ANY passengers. I complained to the other shuttle driver only for him to say he couldn't get ahold of the driver, and to talk with management who were already dealing with a line of 30 customers...

I am not going to go into detail the loud Maids and service people slamming doors in the hallways, blaring music and yelling. Yes, their own staff. Place is used up and messy. No one is helpful or willing.

Will not recommend nor stay at ever. I have frequent layovers in Miami, and this was purchased at a good rate. Ill stick with Hotel Aladdin or the Extended Stay.

Dear Guest

Please let me apologize for the service you received during your stay. It is not the policy of the hotel to make a guest wait for a room. Early check in is based on room availability. I am not sure what the situation was in your case as I have no way to confirm your identity and research. The hotel industry in South Florida is extremely busy from November to April, making early check -in difficult on certain days of the week. We provide rooms to our guest throughout the day as they become available.

Our Shuttle runs every 30 minutes to and from the airport, we have 26 passenger vehicles and normally we have no issues with the service. We provide this free to the guest on a first come first serve basis. We have three vans and are capable of taking 78 passengers at once. I am sorry you had a problem; I will research what exactly happen and fix it.
All of your comments will be passed on to the staff and in effort to improved the service we provide to our guest. I thank you for taking the time to write the review.

south coast UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Visited before when the Comfort Inn, it's recently been rebranded as a Clarion hotel and been given a lick of paint and tidy up.
Had a high room overlooking the airport (nice view) which was spacious and comfortable, I dont think any major alterations have been made to the decor/rooms but it all looks cleaner and more appealing.
Staff were friendly & welcoming, quick and easy check in.
I didnt make use of the airport shuttle as I had my own transport and parking for the car is easy and free.
Not a huge amount in the near area regards walking to somewhere to eat but I felt safe in the area after dark - a car will give you more options and with it you are fairly well placed to get to the larger shopping malls to the west of the airport.
The breakfast buffet was pretty poor - unappealing looking basic food with limited choice and what seemed to be a poor layout meaning that everyone bunched into a small area and it backed up quickly.
Free wifi useful but it was a little slow and sporadic.
So, still good overall value and close to the airport on the northside, I think it can still safely be recommended.

Room Tip: High rooms facing south provide panoramic views of the airport if thats your thing, not particularly...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Frank M, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Twixle

Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed the new look , We have redone the interior of the rooms with all new furniture, TV’s, Carpet , Paint, lamps and art work. In April when the occupancy is lower we will be replacing the vanities and bathroom mirrors. We are also looking at painting the outside of the building very soon. The breakfast is deluxe continental, the scramble eggs, bacon, sausage, and potatoes. really give it an upgrade to the basic muffins, bagels and cereal. I will pass your comments to the staff in our next meeting so that we can improve our service. We hope to see you again soon.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Quite impressed with this hotel, right down the street from the airport, and within 15 minutes give or take from downtown Miami beach. The rooms are very nice and large, with refrigerators only on the 9th floor and up, which is the main reason I did not mark this hotel a 5 as excellent. I prefer lower floors but for some reason the hotel only provides them on a higher floor, which I have no idea why, but for one night stayer on a higher floor wasnàt bad.
The hotel has free internet with a printer hooked up, and a large hot breakfast in the morning, if I could make a suggestion get there early because quite a line of folks later in the morning.
Not much in walking distance but if you have a car, gas stations and a few fast food down the street.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for a great review, The staff and I are very pleased you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again when in the area.

Frank Molina

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport? Share your experiences!